Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat software

Options
  • 04-09-2008 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

hi all

we're looking for some simple, bog standard chat software that me and my team at work can use as instant chat just for sending small notes, urls etc to each other. No need for file transfer, voice or anyhting fancy and no fancy graphics or pop up adds etc.. Free would be great.

Anyone using/recommend anything?

Thanks
    Andy

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Andy27981 wrote: »
    hi all

we're looking for some simple, bog standard chat software that me and my team at work can use as instant chat just for sending small notes, urls etc to each other. No need for file transfer, voice or anyhting fancy and no fancy graphics or pop up adds etc.. Free would be great.

Anyone using/recommend anything?

Thanks
    Andy

Does it need to run completely internally within the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

An irc client? Something like MIRC or something? (Although that does have a pop up ad when you load up unless you pay for it..)

Or you could also use chatzilla, which is an irc plug-in for mozilla firefox...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 strjms72

chatzilla is great, you could use that or try spark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

Spear wrote: »
    Does it need to run completely internally within the company?

thanks for the replies guys

ideally yes....but im just looking to see whats out there really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Bonjour based chat with an application like Pidgin? Basically, P2P chat with status announced in the subnet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jabber would fit the bill i think, would keep it in house but requires a server www.jabber.org for info and client/server downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

http://www.fomine.com/net-send-gui.html

simple and effective, although i'd say your company has the messaging service well disabled at this stage.

another thought occured to me, if you're on windows 2000 or XP all the pc's should already have netmeeting installed, start / run / conf

you could all connect to each other via ip address and use its chat function
    no need to install anything at all. been so long since i've used it though i cant remember how good/useful the chat function is :D and might not be very practical if it's a large team but just throwing it out there with the other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

we use spark at work. works like a charm.

you could always just get people to signup to msn messenger with their work account email address which would work just as well, buts thats not keeping it totally internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gmail also works.

Or you could download Digsby: its a cross platform IM program - so bob in accounting could be on yahoo, talking to fred in sales on msn messenger, and Gina on gmail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Use the TEXT feature in Skype.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

HOW HAS NOBODY SAID MSN YET!!!! omfg.

MSN messenger FTW

MSN MESSENGER!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My company used to use Jabber and we now use Pidgin

Zascar wrote: »
    My company used to use Jabber and we now use Pidgin

you probably still have the same backend though and just changed the client as pidgin supports the jabber protocol

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

No idea, but both are good, not sure why they changed, jabber was fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

skype?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

HOW HAS NOBODY SAID MSN YET!!!! omfg.

MSN messenger FTW

MSN MESSENGER!!!!
    Why metion msn when pidgin does its job plus more? :rolleyes:

kaimera wrote: »
    skype?

a lot of places will block this or frown upon it's use due to the fact that it uses your bandwidth when idle due to it's p2p function , i'm not talking a hugh amount though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

+1 for Jabber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

calex71 wrote: »
    a lot of places will block this or frown upon it's use due to the fact that it uses your bandwidth when idle due to it's p2p function , i'm not talking a hugh amount though.
    very true.

tired to block it in my work but it's just to valuable a tool for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

we used Jabber, but now MS commicator

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

mach1982 wrote: »
    we used Jabber, but now MS commicator
    Pidgin does both of those.

Advertisement