Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you select wireless even tho you are hardwired in?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Just wondering.... Cos i cant select my wireless connection

Like the popup wont even open.
    Even the Netgear Smart wizard thing wont open... normally i select that way

and i was wondering would the reason be because i'm just pluged in?..

Reason i have hardwired and wireless is that i'm that i'm moving my PC away from the routher.. so i need wireless now.. dont want to more it if it's not gonna work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

you should be able to connect on the wireless connection even if the wired connection is running. I presume your PC does have wireless hardware in it already? For the sake of easiness I'd get the wireless connection running before i moved everything. Simply plug out the network cable to test if you are not sure which one you are actually using.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Go in to your network connections and disable to one you don't want! What OS are you running?

You really can only use one at a time if your connecting to the same network, with the same default gateway, try sorting the wireless by disabling or unplugging the LAN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i'm ok XP.

Like when i go into "Network Connection" theres no wireless to select... and i know it was working a few weeks ago.

I do have wireless stuff in stalled that came with the Netgear package. But when i try to open it, it doesnt open... Also the normal windows wireless network selector doesnt open.---- not that i can even find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Or just unplug the LAN cable and manually start the Netgear wizard . If you dont have a shortcut on your desktop you can usually find it in Program Files/Netgear . Probably WG111v3.exe .

+1 for making sure the wireless connection works before you move the PC .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I might add that I had to reinstal the netgear software for my own wireless usb a couple of times , even though I'd never uninstalled it . Dunno if the reinstal somehow accorded it a higher priority in some way ( I had been messing about with different wireless and wired connections on that machine) . Only guessing at that but the reinstal did work .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

nessyguin wrote: »
    I might add that I had to reinstal the netgear software for my own wireless usb a couple of times , even though I'd never uninstalled it . Dunno if the reinstal somehow accorded it a higher priority in some way ( I had been messing about with different wireless and wired connections on that machine) . Only guessing at that but the reinstal did work .

I had to do the same with my netgear when I changed the priority and allowed windows to detect the wireless network. It could see it but wouldn't conect to it and then the netgear usb link disappeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Never,
    Did you ever get this sorted? I'm trying to fix my dads laptop and it sounds like I have the same problem. The 802.11 Wireless feature seems to have vanished off the laptop. There's no sign of it in the device manager or in the Network Connections. I've tried updating the drivers, etc but nothing is working.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Do you have a HP laptop? From what I'm reading in another forum, there's a problem with the wireless card vanishing that is a particular problem that appears to be inherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Donie75 wrote: »
    Never,
    Did you ever get this sorted? I'm trying to fix my dads laptop and it sounds like I have the same problem. The 802.11 Wireless feature seems to have vanished off the laptop. There's no sign of it in the device manager or in the Network Connections. I've tried updating the drivers, etc but nothing is working.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks...

If your wireless card has disappeared from device manager one of two things has happened.

Your card is broken.

Its disabled in bios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

If your wireless card has disappeared from device manager one of two things has happened.

Your card is broken.

Its disabled in bios.

Or you might have a HP 6000 series laptop:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/29/hp-admits-wireless-laptop

• Advertisement
Advertisement