Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorting my pictures...

Options
  • 04-09-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this is the correct place for this so I've put this up on the photography forum as well here...

I've thousands of photos on my laptop at this stage and two folders in particular are a right mess.

I have one folder with about 1000 pictures of a trip to Boston and New York and another folder with about 200 pictures which were taken by a friend. The time and date on my camera was wrong so I can't sort them out like that. I want to merge the folders and manually organize the pictures according to the time I remember them being taken.

Can this be done?

I've tried it with a few pictures already but it's difficult work and tedious and when I go to put them on a slideshow they are all mixed up again!

Plus will they appear all mixed up in Windows Photo Gallery does anyone know? Or can I just sort them in there?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If they are mixed up on a slideshow then it means that the software probably isn't using the timestamp to order them.

You can use an EXIF editor to change the date/time but I doubt the nature of what you're doing allows you to do it in 'batch' mode as you'll have to add the time of each photo manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

The thing is, I downloaded Picasa and that slideshows them in the correct order but Windows cannot.

And as for manually editing...I've about 1300 photos of my trip to the States and doing each one would take hours haha!

I'll try sort them in Picasa and see what happens.

Or would I be better off creating a third folder, merging the other two into it (copy and paste like) and then throw out the ones I don't want while simultaneously putting them in the correct order???

I still don't understand how you can 'put them in the correct' order while in a folder? You want them sorted by date taken but you rightly don't want to waste your life editing each photo. I don't see how it's possible.

Are you saying that Picasa manages to sort the photos in the correct order basde on when they were taken even though 200 of the photos don't have the correct time?

If Picasa manages to sort them correctly then what more are you looking for?

Sorry man I'll be more specific.

What I have is two folders of pictures. One is mine and one is a friends. I want to put them together into one folder but there is a problem. I have also downloaded pictures i have not taken myself and threy have their own names but I want to put them into the folder in sequence with my own stuff. For example a downloaded picture of the Empire State Building should go next to a picture of the ESB that I took myself...

...so it's like a timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

sort by date modified?

• Advertisement

sort by date modified?

He would then have to modify over 200 photos which isn't an option. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,718 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

youre better off doing it in phases. Just start throwing them into 2/3 folders related to event. then for each event youll just have to rename each picture to order it right.

Yeah that sounds ok actually...

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it! Now I'm off to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,718 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sorry we could it make it any easier ;)

Erra I can live with it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement