Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Historical Fiction

• 13-01-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi

I am coming to the end of Ben Elton's "Two Brothers" novel which is set in Weimar/Nazi Germany. I absolutely loved the book and am wondering can anyone recommend any other good historical fiction novels?

Also can anyone recommend any of Elton's other books and are they also historical fiction? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

hi

I am coming to the end of Ben Elton's "Two Brothers" novel which is set in Weimar/Nazi Germany. I absolutely loved the book and am wondering can anyone recommend any other good historical fiction novels?

Also can anyone recommend any of Elton's other books and are they also historical fiction? Thanks

How far back in history would you like to go?

http://www.historicalnovels.info/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

112263 by Stephen King is a brilliant read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Edward Rutherford had written some amazing historical fiction. He has written about London, and Dublin amongst others - would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doyoumrjones

Chucken wrote: »
    How far back in history would you like to go?

http://www.historicalnovels.info/

The 20th century ideally. Thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Fatherland by Robert Harris; set in a world where the Nazis won the Second World War and are now engaged in a Cold War with the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

Saigon, pretty much gives a 20th century history of Viet Nam

Wild swans, true story about 20th century Chinese history, amazing book and more interesting than fiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a look in the "What are you reading atm?" thread or check out the Literature forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a brilliant read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

The Bible..... It's great for a chuckle.

• Advertisement

Saigon, pretty much gives a 20th century history of Viet Nam

Wild swans, true story about 20th century Chinese history, amazing book and more interesting than fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ryathoe

"The Spies of the Balkans" by Alan Furst is a really good spy/historical novel - there are several more similar novels by him eg Spies of Warsaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Big Steve wrote: »
    The Bible..... It's great for a chuckle.

One thread. One thread without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

The Physician by Noah Gordon is a good read but it is LONG AS ****. A good 900+ plus pages at least but quite the pageturner.

112263 by Stephen King is a brilliant read

I have that but haven't got round to reading it. Have you read many of King's books?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Ken Folliets Pillars of the earth, World without end and Fall of giants. All excellent books Imo. Should be read in the correct order

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Robyn Young's Brethren Trilogy is fantastic, based around the crusades in the 13th century.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moving from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

You should try American Tabloid by James Elroy. Followed by The Cold Six thousand and Bloods a Rover.

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Moving from After Hours.

Thanks. couldnt find literature section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

http://www.philipkerr.org/

I've read quite a few of Kerrs books. The Shot was the first that I read and it really kept me gripped up to the last page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

huey1975 wrote: »
    You should try American Tabloid by James Elroy. Followed by The Cold Six thousand and Bloods a Rover.

American Tabloid is amazing, I thought the other two weren't as good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally is a good one. It's about Australian nurses during WW1. I think Keneally does a lot of historical fiction although I haven't read any of the rest of them.

Star of the Sea and Redemption Falls are good ones by Joseph O'Connor.

I'd add Shogun by James Clavell (I think)

It's about an English sailor landing in feudal Japan - samurai sh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

DazMarz wrote: »
    Fatherland by Robert Harris; set in a world where the Nazis won the Second World War and are now engaged in a Cold War with the USA.
    Good shout. I just finished "an officer and a spy". A great read and a very good historical novel as also is "Pompeii" also by Robert Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

I read Two Brothers last year and really enjoyed it.

I would recommend City of Thieves by David Benioff which is just as good. It's also set during World War 2. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1971304.City_of_Thieves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Brooklyn by Colm Tobin set in '50's Ireland/New York

The portrait of an artist as a young man, Joyce, set in Ireland/Dublin round the turn of the 20th century

The Baroque cycle by Neal Stephenson, set in the time of Isaac Newton
    Has the founding of MIT, petty wars in Germany, French court, English wars, including the battle of Aughrim

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

Robert Harris writes great, big, page-turner historical novels. As he said himself, he never lets historical fact get in the way of a good story. So Imperium and Lustrum are well worth a read.

The Flashman Series by George MacDonald Fraser is also great. Flashman is a coward, a cheat, an alcoholic and a boorish fop - who finds himself as a central character in many great 19th century historical incidents. Very funny.

Red Plenty by Francis Spufford is one of best books I've read in the last few years. It's about various scientists, administrators and bureaucrats in the Soviet Union during Khrushchev's 'planned economy' stage. It's weird, quirky and very engrossing. Really gives a feel for how hopeless and desolate communism was to those who had to deal with the ruminations of it on a regular basis. Cool book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Historical Fiction can cover so much, but off the top of my head I'd recommend any of the following:

Mutiny on the Bounty - John Boyne - story told from a different perspective

Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
    - WW1

HHhH - Laurent Binet - WW2

Doctor Copernicus - John Banville

Bring up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel - I skipped Wolf Hall, but maybe start there??

Pure - Andrew Miller

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Master and Commander Series by Patrick O'Brian. It is about the Royal Navy of the Napoleonic Wars and evocative of the era.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yossi312

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway, based during the Spanish Civil War.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Plot Against America - Philip Roth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Great read

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The Odysseus/Troy series by Glyn Iliffe - takes the story from the start to finish and includes all the ancillary myths such as Iphigenia, Ajax, Philoctetes
    that are usually skipped over and puts them back as vital components of the narrative . Four books written -taking us to the fall of Troy and one (Odysseus voyage home) to be published later this year.

Great stuff if you like the Greeks and a reminder of all they have given us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The only novel I've read of Ben Elton's was Popcorn. It was like a hackneyed rehash of Pulp Fiction and True Romance. Half of it was written as a film script so presumably Ben was expecting Tarantino and Miramax to come along and buy up the film rights. Apart from the fact that he's a hypocrite and a sell-out, Ben Elton isn't much of a writer either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

The Flashman series is amazing. People have decried it of being politically incorrect but when the narrator is a 19th century British soldier and adventurer (who is an absolute cad), you'll get that. It's educational, entertaining and downright uncomfortable especially when narrating the death of British army in 1840s Afghanistan or the atrocities (by both sides) during the Indian Mutiny.

Anything by Bernard Cornwell is good.
    Sharpe-A Napoleonic wars British light infantry officer, one whos risen from the ranks and charts his rise from beginnings in India to Waterloo and beyond.
    Grail Trilogy- An English longbowman during the Hundred Years War
    Warlord Chronicles- one of the most enjoyable depictions of the Arthurian age I've ever read.
    Saxon Stories-centres around the clash between Wessex and the invading Vikings.

And Nigel Tranter, want to know about Scottish history? He's your guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

hi

You could try one of my favourite's

The Religion by Tim Willocks
    But just to let you know ,it is pretty violent/gory.

2008 interview with the Author...............

This wonderful adventure story is also an unavoidably resonant meditation on the power of religion to incite war.
    Tim Willocks has harnessed a huge amount of knowledge to create a panorama of the siege from both perspectives, while never losing sight of his individual characters. His device is Tannhauser, a nominal Christian who has spent years as a devshirme, a Muslim convert in the elite Ottoman janissary corps.

Full review here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3654884/Blood-drenched-quest.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I'm not entirely sure that it counts as 'historical fiction', being more a series of related vignettes and brief essays than a novel, but Francis Spufford's Red Plenty really is an amazing work. It charts the decline of the Soviet Union, from the heady days of the 1950s to the squalid decay of the 1980s. I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Pretty much anything by Sharon Penman but her Welsh trilogy (Here Be Dragons, Falls The Shadow, The Reckoning) is especially good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The only novel I've read of Ben Elton's was Popcorn. It was like a hackneyed rehash of Pulp Fiction and True Romance. Half of it was written as a film script so presumably Ben was expecting Tarantino and Miramax to come along and buy up the film rights. Apart from the fact that he's a hypocrite and a sell-out, Ben Elton isn't much of a writer either.

Putting aside your obvious dislike for the man and bias against him I'll answer the question without bias.

The First Casualty by Elton is a fantastic novel, well written and with a good storyline. It was also well received for the most part by the critics, many of whom are the same people who accuse him of being a sell out to his original ideals.

In fact, the Telegraph (a Tory paper [Elton at the time was one of Labour's biggest donors]) described the novel as a "work of formidable imaginative scope... the writing is so good, the language so surprisingly subtle and the characters so beautifully delineated" and "Nevertheless, you can now put aside any remaining thoughts of Ben Elton in his shiny jacket and start to think of him as a real writer."

The book is not without it's faults but it is good.

You could also try the Conquerer series by Conn Iggulden, set in ancient Rome. It's very well written and fast paced but like Robert Harris, Iggulden is less concerned with complete historical accuracy and if you are a stickler for accuracy these books will drive you mad (two of the characters in the book are said to be of similar age but in reality one of these men was about 15 years older than the other). However, they are a good read.

Iggulden has written plenty of other historical fiction and his latest efforts revolve around the Houses of Tudor and Lnacaster, The Wars of the Roses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

American Tabloid by James Ellroy, a seedy telling of JFK era politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

I have always been a big fan of Morgan Llwelyn's books. Lion of Ireland, The Bard, Druids, Grania just to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

hi

can anyone recommend any other good historical fiction novels?

Thanks

I would recommend the Ethan Gage series of novels by William Dietrich. It starts off with a book called "Napoleon's Pyramids"

I have only read the first 3 so far but they are very exciting with the protagonist meeting Napoleon and other famous historical figures by trying to play all sides against each other.Full of action and narrow escapes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

The Languedoc Trilogy by Kate Mosse is quite good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Anne Chambers The Geraldine Conspiracy is a great read as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Gates of Fire (Steven Pressfield) & Red Plenty (Francis Spufford) are among the best novels I've come across - not just in the historical fiction genre - but among all forms of literature. And I've read a lot of historical/fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

One of my all time favourites, there's few books I read more than once but this is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Don de Lillo's Underworld and Libra - both good insights into 20th century America.

Pat Barker's 1st world war trilogy- not to everyone's taste but captivating and I much preferred them to Sebastian Faulk's Birdsong.

Loads of others that I've read but my mind is a fuzzy muddle at the moment. 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Not set in the 20th century, but The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco was very good.

Time's Arrow by Martin Amis - not sure how much this fits into an historical fiction category. It's very experimental.

Edit: Also, I, Claudius by Robert Graves is very good. Especially for the bits concerning Caligula.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭pavb2

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Not set in the 20th century, but The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco was very good.

Time's Arrow by Martin Amis - not sure how much this fits into an historical fiction category. It's very experimental.

Edit: Also, I, Claudius by Robert Graves is very good. Especially for the bits concerning Caligula.

I Claudius is very well written and easy to read Claudius is a reluctant hero and you find yourself rooting for him. I'm currently watching the bbc box set of the series from the seventies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement