Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí on Segways.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

They should be outlawed, on the basis that they look stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

Complete gimmic and waste of money - use a mountain bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I thought these were against the law apart from in places like the Phoenix Park and the like?

If the gardaí get them I want them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I don't see any lights or sirens that bikes have on them. Will they shout Neee Nahhh if they have to get anywhere fast.

But in fairness, I thought the whole idea for Segways is that they are for patrol purposes not for pursuit. They can cover a much larger area than walking on the beat. If they need to catch anyone whilst on patrol, I'm assuming they just do what they would if they were on foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I think people are just going to try floor gardai on them. Also, I give it 1 month until they're are stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Dublin City Business Association has donated two segways to Dublin’s Gardaí in a move that will strike terror into fat criminals the city over.

Ironically, if they use the segways enough, they'll be too fat to get off and make an arrest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

800px-Airport_Police_on_a_Segway_i2_patrol_Dublin_Airports_Terminal_2.PNG

Dublin Airport Police

Lapin wrote: »
    800px-Airport_Police_on_a_Segway_i2_patrol_Dublin_Airports_Terminal_2.PNG

Dublin Airport Police

Smooth floors everywhere vs. kerbs and pavements like corrugated iron.
    I can't see this working practically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

They get off them obviously. Hardly rocket science.

And then the segway gets robbed while they are chasing on foot :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Smooth floors everywhere vs. kerbs and pavements like corrugated iron.
    I can't see this working practically.

Same here. I just threw that pic up for a look.

I think they are a gimmick and a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Glorified ticket dispensers.
    And egg magnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I don't really get the advantage of these.

They go 19kph top speed. So that's faster than walking but way slower than sprinting, so no use in chasing anyone. Also not fast enough to use the roads to travel by.

They are more mobile than a car, but about as mobile as a bike, yet way slower, and they're motorised, therefore cost money to run.

Am I missing something? They hover?

Ormus wrote: »
    I don't really get the advantage of these.

They go 19kph top speed. So that's faster than walking but way slower than sprinting, so no use in chasing anyone. Also not fast enough to use the roads to travel by.

They are more mobile than a car, but about as mobile as a bike, yet way slower, and they're motorised, therefore cost money to run.

Am I missing something? They hover?
    Also going at that speed, on a busy street, would more than likely lead to someone been injured. Sprinting is a lot easier than segway and it wouldn't be too difficult to get away from a segway chasing you on a busy street, and if a guard started chasing on foot, the segways would probably be robbed...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Unless turret mounts on the front, Robocop is nowhere near here....****ing stupid headline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

gerarda wrote: »
    Complete gimmic and waste of money - use a mountain bike

Complete gimmic and waste of money - use a mountain bike your two feet.

The only place for these machines is the likes of inside terminal 2 at Dublin Airport or at any of the larger shopping malls, even at that they are awkward for hauling up and down levels.

They are totally impracticable for city use giving their relatively short battery life. The only use I could see them at is for PR use in places like the RDS and Ploughing Championships.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Unless turret mounts on the front, Robocop is nowhere near here....****ing stupid headline

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

maybe they could shoot tazers randomly at people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Not really a waste of money since it hasn't cost AGS anything.Provides higher visability then two Gardai just out walking the beat or on bicycle.

I've seen tourists on the Dublin Segway tour naviagate busy streets on them easily enough so doubt the Gardai,who have undertaken a 3 day course on them,will have any major problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

I've seen tourists on the Dublin Segway tour naviagate busy streets on them easily enough so doubt the Gardai,who have undertaken a 3 day course on them,will have any major problems.

Yeah, but thats at normal speeds and not in any sort of pursuit situation.. If they fly down any of Dublin busy pedestrian streets on one of those they are gonna flatten a few feet... Its like when your driving your car.. you may be a safe driver, but its everyone else on the road you gotta watch out for.

They should stick with the bikes.. they get to keep fit, and can move faster than a segway, and bikes can go up and down kerbs, and even go down a set of steps... id like to see someone try that on a segway without face-planting the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Not really a waste of money since it hasn't cost AGS anything.

Yes it has....
    the Gardai,who have undertaken a 3 day course on them,will have any major problems.

Who pays for the training.. 3 days of pay for a trainer is not free, they need to be charged after each use.. electricity is not free. If they are used alot, then maintenance is not free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

RainMaker wrote: »
    They'll make good door stops back at the station.

After the "grand unveiling" I'd be surprised to see any on the streets - a bit like the Gardai in general.

If they are chasing somebody who runs up/down stairs, what do they do then? Bit of an old Dalek problem really!

What about an arrest? Err... hold on to my waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Saw them today. They looked feckin daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 confusedlad

I think they will reduce pick pocketing because of the enhanced pov. Other than that they are useless. Cant imagine them reaching top speed in any sort of rain or wind. It wont be long now till you see top gangsters on upgraded segways in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

isn't David Icke a paranoid schizophrenic who claims to have magical powers? Why's he slagging the gardai ?

Advertisement