Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Traction Group---Carrick-on-Suir

• 15-11-2013 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Not having heard a word from these Guys for months, it appears to me that work here has stopped.
    This seems to me a direct result of the debacle of 226 seizing up a couple of minutes after being started, although I have no info at all on what has been going on since.
    I can't for the life of me fathom why the Group announced that the loco had been successfully started when it obviously was less than successful.
    Anyway, membership fee wasted, won't be repeating that mistake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Did you take it up with them before posting your comments here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

contacted them weeks ago if not months and told they'd be in touch.

What is it with the ITG that they seem to have this mindset that you shouldn't post stuff on the internet?

just checked, it's 7 weeks since I contacted them and I reckon 3 months since there was a working day there

Well done those liking post two who liked it after I had replied saying I had contacted them...good work!

Is that why they were considering reinstating the previous engine? Because they wrecked the one they got from 149?

I think the previous engine has been deemed a non-starter. The last I heard removing and re building the engine was the plan, that was a long time ago though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

One of the big ends seized, caused by oil starvation. An engine out job but possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There are a limited number of viable alternatives if you want to muck in, but I fear they're all very far away from you.
    Kanturk & Newmarket Pres. Society anyone?

Carrick was the nearest and cost me €50 in petrol!

K&NPS a good idea but where will I get a relevant loco now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so the engine in the 201 that was started a while back was actually from a 141? did the original 201 engines sound similar to the a-class?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

so the engine in the 201 that was started a while back was actually from a 141? did the original 201 engines sound similar to the a-class?

Yeah, it was salvaged from 149 before it was scrapped. However the engine was previously salvaged from a C class loco too. It's a 645E engine (like in the 181s) rather than the 567C. I don't know what they sounded like in service but during the startup they did in Carrick, it sounded rather like a 181 to me.

I guess it may depend on the silencer fitted, there being a fundamental difference in the types fitted on the two engines in Carrick as one has two outlets and the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah, it was salvaged from 149 before it was scrapped. However the engine was previously salvaged from a C class loco too. It's a 645E engine (like in the 181s) rather than the 567C. I don't know what they sounded like in service but during the startup they did in Carrick, it sounded rather like a 181 to me.
    is their really a difference between the sound of a 141 and a 181? i can't really tell the difference TBH, looking at vids of early 645 engines they sounded a little like the 567 and some sounded like a mix between a 567 and the variant of the 645e engines fitted to the 071

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

is their really a difference between the sound of a 141 and a 181? i can't really tell the difference TBH, looking at vids of early 645 engines they sounded a little like the 567 and some sounded like a mix between a 567 and the variant of the 645e engines fitted to the 071

Tis indeed. Am on my phone at the moment so can't compare but will when I go home. :). The idle speed is higher.

152: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23270031/boards.ie/x_152idle.wav

183: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23270031/boards.ie/x_183idle.wav

152 has the 567C block while 183 had the 645E block. The 645E idles around 315 rpm while the 567 is around the 250 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Karsini wrote: »
    152: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23270031/boards.ie/x_152idle.wav

183: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23270031/boards.ie/x_183idle.wav

152 has the 567C block while 183 had the 645E block. The 645E idles around 315 rpm while the 567 is around the 250 mark.

The 567 series has a lower maximum RPM than the 645 series, hence the pro rata lower idle speed.

The 567 series has a lower maximum RPM than the 645 series, hence the pro rata lower idle speed.

Yeah, 835 vs 900 if I recall correctly.

Advertisement