Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiat Ducato speedo cable

Options
  • 28-05-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. The mechanical speedo cable on my 2002 Carioca 10 needs replacing. The base vehicle is a Fiat Ducato 2.0 Td. I believe the model changed in 2002. Mine is the older model. The cable is approx 2.25m long. Any thoughts on where I can source a replacement? My mechanic says he has already tried the Fiat dealer and was told that they don't stock any parts for vehicles over 10 years old. Ebay doesn't seem to have the correct cable either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Hi. The mechanical speedo cable on my 2002 Carioca 10 needs replacing. The base vehicle is a Fiat Ducato 2.0 Td. I believe the model changed in 2002. Mine is the older model. The cable is approx 2.25m long. Any thoughts on where I can source a replacement? My mechanic says he has already tried the Fiat dealer and was told that they don't stock any parts for vehicles over 10 years old. Ebay doesn't seem to have the correct cable either.

Post your vin number and I'll see what I can find, there is a place in swansea that will make almost any cable if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    It might be worth while trying another dealer.
    Yours zambo

Hi
    Yours zambo

Hi
    Yours zambo

Hi
    Yours zambo

• Advertisement

Hi
    Yours zambo

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Howdy,

Will be looking for same for a 2001 Fiat Ducato, 2.8JTD shortly, just waiting on the DOE to see what else needs to be done (or hopefully doesn't), have chatted to various garages about it with the same concern over sourcing cable so would be interested in how it works out for ya?

Thanks,

OB

zambo wrote: »
    Hi
    Yours zambo

Lots of the cables are no longer available from fiat, might be worth trying citroen or peugeot instead alright.

Howdy,

Will be looking for same for a 2001 Fiat Ducato, 2.8JTD shortly, just waiting on the DOE to see what else needs to be done (or hopefully doesn't), have chatted to various garages about it with the same concern over sourcing cable so would be interested in how it works out for ya?

Thanks,

OB

Whats your vin number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

CableCraft in Dublin will make any cable , from Speedo to handbrake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 daveandfreda

Thanks Aidan. CableCraft sound like a good option. However, I am under time pressure as I want to be using the camper in the good weather (however long that might last) so I have already sent the old cable to Cable-Tec in the UK for a copy to be made. They are talking about £40 plus postage with a turn around of a couple of days. Regards, Dave

Pity . The last time i sent CC a handbrake cable , they did it there and then.

moodrater wrote: »
    Whats your vin number.

ZFA23000006031588

Following up on this lads as the DOE last year didn't spot that the speedo wasn't working last year but this year the lack of milage piqued their interest :o

Anyhow its been on the list to get fixed so looking to source a speedometer cable for a 2001 Fiat 2.8JTD, ZIN number above.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

1315808080 is the part, seems to be a bit of confsion in the aftermarket catalogue as to whats compatible. Should be about 1510mm/1513mm long.

This from amazon should suit, you may need parcel motel if it says it won't deliver here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metzger-S-07123-Speedometer/dp/B00FAM5I0U

€40.86 from italy.
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/1315808080-FLEXIBLE-TRANSMISSION-ODOMETER-FIAT-DUCATO-2000IE-18QT-/351087306115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item51be6f2583

moodrater wrote: »
    1315808080 is the part, seems to be a bit of confsion in the aftermarket catalogue as to whats compatible. Should be about 1510mm/1513mm long.

Fair play, thank you very much :)

Hey Moodrater,

Turns out its not the speedo cable after all but the part that sits into the gearbox which the cable sits in to.

Any ideas on what name is on that part? I'm about to go googling.

Cheers,

OB.

Hey Moodrater,

Turns out its not the speedo cable after all but the part that sits into the gearbox which the cable sits in to.

Cheers,

OB.[/quote

Speedometer drive unit. Try Joe in Gearbox Centre West, he often has stuff like that. 0868814438

Hey Moodrater,

Cheers,

OB.

Sender/sending unit. There are 18 tooth and 21 tooth versions yours is 21 teeth. Cable friction probably cause the damage so cable needed to be changed anyway.

Which part is damaged 1,2,9?

2EC2A925C321CF841B5F3DF7C6596168.png

It will be hard to find one online as it was only used for a short run, electronic sender with mechanical speedo ..

Sound lads, thanks.

I haven't see the part yet, garage was fitting the new cable and pinged me on it. I'll have it this evening.

Looks like number 2 - the cable end (which is square) has rounded off the hole so its slipping.

https://plus.google.com/110035678011497270200/posts/ahsL7GP6nu9

I'm not having much luck sourcing it - still looking.

• Advertisement

Thats the correct part number that listing ended: 02 Sep, 2014

Did they confirm which part is faulty, part doesn't include the pinion, coupling etc. If pinion teeth are stripped its quite cheap from citroen about 1/3 the price fiat are charging if Fiat even stock it anymore.

Crap, you are right, I don't have much experience with buying from ebay.

Did you see the link to the pic I posted? The part that appears faulty is number 2 in that image you posted, the coupling for the square end of the speedo cable has rounded off so I figured would need a new part.

Crap, you are right, I don't have much experience with buying from ebay.

Did you see the link to the pic I posted? The part that appears faulty is number 2 in that image you posted, the coupling for the square end of the speedo cable has rounded off so I figured would need a new part.

Couldnt see it on my phone, just had a look thats stuffed alright. Did you try gearbox west? Fiat should have the part anyway. It looks identical to the 206/306/406 one I suppose its a slightly different diamater or something.

Thanks,

Yeah I rang gearbox west this morning, they are closed for the day for funeral but he reckoned they might have it so buzzing him back tomorrow.

I'm keeping the fingers crossed :p

Moodrater, for fiat dealers themselves, where would you go to? thanks

Have a part sourced lads, thanks for the inputs.

Where did you get it in the end, no idea about fiat dealers for parts I've always got mine online/locally/scrap yard or from citroen dealer.

The only one I've every used was when on holidays in cork I got trim parts from johnson and perrott ? on the quays in cork city. Very relaxed place.
    Also got parts from the iveco truck crowd in BOD Vehicle Support Services.

Fiat are usually the most expensive.

I pinged these guys and they were able to order it:

http://agnellimotorpark.ie/parts-accessories/

Now it wasn't cheap but I needed it.

Unfortunately they didn't have the exact one in Gearbox West but he had others and offered to help if I couldn't locate one.

Advertisement