Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crappy treatment from ex-band member.

Options
  • 26-05-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Ill keep this short.

I was in a band and the guy wrote a song. We recorded it in a recording studio and i wrote and played the bass on it. The bass is the main riff that recurs throughout the track. In fairness he paid for the recording. But i made up for this by paying for other stuff throughout the year.

Anyway he recently started a new band and is using this claiming its by the new band. Now i don't mind if he uses the song but he is using the version that i am on and i am not credited anywhere. Also i found this out myself, he didn't notify me that he was going to use it.

Obviously this isnt about money, as thats not why i play music, and not like theres any money to want its about respect and decency which he seems to lack. I just want to know if this has happned to anyone here and if maybe Im out of line for being offended.

Im actually gutted because i never would have expected this treatment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Are you talking about the song linked in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Slappa de Bass

Id rather not say to be honest. Just want a bit of advice on the subject.

Quote=Malice;78879723]Are you talking about the song linked in this thread?[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Randy Savage

Just thought id check this forum as I knew this would happen so thought i wud give my side of the story, not to fight or anything just think its an interesting discussion, anyway here we go,long story short. .......
    i learned guitar and wrote a bunch of songs on my own. thought id take it to the next level and find some players met bassist and jammed. i boo ked recording drove from drog where i was living to dublin picked up bassist drove back up the m1 to belfast. recorded with me playing everything except bass and doing lead and backing vocals. paid engineer in full myself drove bass player back to dublign then back home to drog. didnt work with bass player so started new project on my own "not a band". i dont think its unreasonable to use the recording of the song as a representation of my music seen as i wrote the song and paid for the recording 100%. as i said to bassist if any money was ever made off of the track he wud be paid a fair royalty. i dont really see a. major issue here myself. i have drummed on dozens of recordings through the years most of whom broke up. the recordings were still used but i never had an issue i was always interested in seeing how the new drummer played the beat i put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

lads better off not getting into it online, where it will remain forever.
    Have a quick chat, doesn't sound like any harm meant here and may be just a misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Just thought id check this forum as I knew this would happen so thought i wud give my side of the story, not to fight or anything just think its an interesting discussion, anyway here we go,long story short. .......
    i learned guitar and wrote a bunch of songs on my own. thought id take it to the next level and find some players met bassist and jammed. i boo ked recording drove from drog where i was living to dublin picked up bassist drove back up the m1 to belfast. recorded with me playing everything except bass and doing lead and backing vocals. paid engineer in full myself drove bass player back to dublign then back home to drog. didnt work with bass player so started new project on my own "not a band". i dont think its unreasonable to use the recording of the song as a representation of my music seen as i wrote the song and paid for the recording 100%. as i said to bassist if any money was ever made off of the track he wud be paid a fair royalty. i dont really see a. major issue here myself. i have drummed on dozens of recordings through the years most of whom broke up. the recordings were still used but i never had an issue i was always interested in seeing how the new drummer played the beat i put down.

Who paid for the recording studio time and who drove whom where isn't relevant. The other person wrote/contributed a small but significant part of this song and is entitled to due credit.

Now whether this really needs to be stated explicitly on the youtube description or at the end of the video is another matter. If this song was released commercially or the cd printed give for free, i would certainly expect a credit in the sleeve for the bassist.

• Advertisement

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    Who paid for the recording studio time and who drove whom where isn't relevant. The other person wrote/contributed a small but significant part of this song and is entitled to due credit.

Now whether this really needs to be stated explicitly on the youtube description or at the end of the video is another matter. If this song was released commercially or the cd printed give for free, i would certainly expect a credit in the sleeve for the bassist.
    I agree if the song was ever released comercially which it never will be 100% i would state what musicians played on the record and i wud make sure all due royalties were paid in full. the fact that i paid for the recording is the most relevant part of the entire situation as it clears up who actually owns the recording as with everything in life once u have paid for something in full u own it therefore u can use it as u please, thats how the industry works.as i said if it was released commercially of course ould put the name down all i did was just set up a new fb page. i think the bassist is grossly overreacting. sorry not going to get into a spat just think im entitled to give my side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Is it really a big to deal to give the guy credit? As he's said, he's not after money, he just wants his work credited, which is fair enough. It's as simple as adding a small sentence somewhere (video description if it's on Youtube, or whatever), crediting the bass line to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

give him credit for the song

either way, you wont be arguing over royalties any time soon...

I agree if the song was ever released comercially which it never will be 100% i would state what musicians played on the record and i wud make sure all due royalties were paid in full. the fact that i paid for the recording is the most relevant part of the entire situation as it clears up who actually owns the recording as with everything in life once u have paid for something in full u own it therefore u can use it as u please, thats how the industry works.as i said if it was released commercially of course ould put the name down all i did was just set up a new fb page. i think the bassist is grossly overreacting. sorry not going to get into a spat just think im entitled to give my side of the story.

Doesn't mean it's right or you have to work that way.

Guy deserves credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

I actually think this is fair enough. It is often the case that new bands don't have recordings to showcase their playing so they need to use older recordings with some different players. Its not ideal, but it has to be done.

You'd be perfectly intitled to do the same thing with the song.

What normally happens though is that when new recordings are done, the new players in the band will want to use these recordings to represent the band due to musician pride and the fact they are not actually playing on the track.

I guess an 'aul Featuring <OPs name> on YouTube wouldn't hurt, but they probably don't want to do this as your not actually in the new band.

All in all, I can understand your frustration as a fellow player. Unfortunately, I cannot say I wouldn't do the same thing as what "the other guy" did if I needed to promote my band but didn't have any recordings yet.

Hope you get it sorted anyway,
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    Who paid for the recording studio time and who drove whom where isn't relevant.

Yep - I agree. If you want to go down that line, you could argue that the bass player should have got payed for the session work!!!

Cheers for the input guys. I paid for other recordings and rehearsal rooms and other things that i won't go into. Its not about money, it seems to be a big deal with him, not me. I just don't think its right to claim that the song is from the new band. He could easily have said it was his last band. But if he is claiming this then he should be giving credit to me. You'd swear i was asking for a limb for jaysus sake.

Also, if he wanted me to just play his songs then he should have been paying me. So in a way, i paid for the recording with my services.

Thanks again guys for the advice. Appreciate it. I've learned a lesson that i was too trusting to even know i was being taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bare knuckle fight to the death is the only way to sort this tbh.

Randy Savage has a wrestler's name in his favour but Slappa de Bass sounds well 'ard. Wrestlers were all fakers anyway, what with their big oily skin and girly hair dos.

€10 on Slappa @ 12/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Savman wrote: »
    Bare knuckle fight to the death is the only way to sort this tbh.

Randy Savage has a wrestler's name in his favour but Slappa de Bass sounds well 'ard. Wrestlers were all fakers anyway, what with their big oily skin and girly hair dos.

€10 on Slappa @ 12/1.

I'll throw €20 on Slappa also! Can't beat 'dem odds!

Good luck lads! :D

ha! eh nothin wrong with oily wrestlers its a good tactic makes me slippery like a bar of soap hard to get a hold of! macho man randy savage oooooooooooh yeeeeeaaah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Daycentbill

''I was in a band and the guy wrote a song. We recorded it in a recording studio and i wrote and played the bass on it. The bass is the main riff that recurs throughout the track. In fairness he paid for the recording. But i made up for this by paying for other stuff throughout the year.

Anyway he recently started a new band and is using this claiming its by the new band. Now i don't mind if he uses the song but he is using the version that i am on and i am not credited anywhere. Also i found this out myself, he didn't notify me that he was going to use it''

Sorry correct me if I'm wrong but I was just looking through the thread by Randy Savage posted here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056588151, he does nt seem to say anywhere that he wrote the song or that its a song from his new band.

He quote's this under the link to the song ' This is the old band didnt work out, new material is very similar but more DIY sounding, less polished ''

Don't see him personally claiming to have written the whole song, just see him giving an example of previous work he's been involved in and new band sounds similar, so he can find a new band member, not exactly a jail time deed.

This would all be different if he put it on CD etc and never credited you for writing the bass line but for this situation I think things have got a little carried away at the original harmless post if my view!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

talk about a storm in a tea cup! I see no problem here at all to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Id like to hear this song and decide if the bass line is really that prominent. If its as prominant as money by pink floyd id agree with you op , but if your just hitting root notes nobody is really gonna care who played bass on it.
    Link the song and set up a pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thegoodwillout

Lads what are ye 12? He said, she said etc...

Cop the **** on and sort it out with a phone call or over a pint, don't be slagging each other in public like this...

Just to be clear here, I have never mentioned any names, or band names, nor have I linked to any pages or websites or anything for that matter in this thread. I just wanted some advice on the matter, which I'm quite happy with so if a mod could close this thread then that would be great. Thanks

PS: @Dacentbill: It's nothing to do with a boards.ie post, it's to do with a page on a different website.

@thegoodwillout: The person in question was quite rude, stubborn and unwilling to come to an arrangement on the matter, to the point of deleting my friendship on facebook and removing my comment on his page. If you haven't guessed already, this would be the reason why I put this up here on boards. I wanted to know what other people have done in the past under these circumstances or in fact if I was being a bit harsh in expecting to be credited/notified about using me on a recording for his new band, which I'm not in.

Mods, if you wold close this thread now that would be great. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mods, if you wold close this thread now that would be great. Thanks.
    Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement