Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judging WT Cosgrove

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

donaghs wrote: »
    Don't think that's a good enough definition of "fascist" methods. It would apply to many varied situations like the East German workers revolt in 1953.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uprising_of_1953_in_East_Germany

Fascism is the most brutal and repressive form of repression under capitalism. It bases itself on a specific section of society - namely the middle-sized farmers, small shop keepers and professional class. It is specifically designed to smash workers organisations.

The term 'fascist methods' is a bit of a misnomer - fascist methods can only be used by fascists. Other elements within society can use fascists to implement fascist methods of repression (as in the case with CnanG when they established the SIC).

Capitalist regimes can use the most brutal repression - this can happen even without fascist input.

The East Germany Stalinists used brutal repression to suppress the 1953 Uprising in East Berlin (as did other Stalinist regimes at different times) - but there was no fascist content to this repression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Fascism is the most brutal and repressive form of repression under capitalism. It bases itself on a specific section of society - namely the middle-sized farmers, small shop keepers and professional class. It is specifically designed to smash workers organisations.

That's a shockingly poor attempt to define fascism. An individual or organisation is not autmoatically fascist because it is reactionary or conservative.

A decent overview of definitions of fascism can be found here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_fascism

The stupidity of incorrect use of the term is best summed up by George Orwell
    ...the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else ... Except for the relatively small number of Fascist sympathisers, almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for ‘Fascist’. That is about as near to a definition as this much-abused word has come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

<Mod>

Uncivil posting, please refrain from name calling in the future.

</Mod>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

<Mod> ---Edited-- </Mod>

Given that you claim to be 'meticulous' in your research and 'precise' in your use of language your interpretation of the past appears to be based on an astoundingly limited definition of fascism. I thought the simplest guide readily available might have been of some use.

If you were to read the Wikipedia page you might notice that the 'definition' you use is shared by no one.

I find your repeated failure to engage in discussion quite hypocritical given what you said in an earlier post.........
    Some of the worst historians on the planet are academics who behave like 'know-it-alls' and dismiss any opinion that contradicts their opinionated 'analysis'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Less with the intemperate language, or I'll have to hand out bans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement