Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of sky, what's my options?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

martco wrote: »
    basically you have to threaten them with unsubscribe brinkmanship before they will even give you the current rate
    Sorry, what do you mean by that comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Probably the best option for your folks. If they've had Sky for years they're probably going to miss the EPG and other functions.

Maybe they'd accept a combo box (UK FTAsat/Saorview) in the 2nd room which would further reduce costs and they might even come around to dumping Sky altogether if they grow accustomed to the combo.

Would I be right in thinking, get rid of sky multi room and install the ariva 250 in the spare room. Would it affect the sky signal in the main room, can both be run
    at the same time?
    I too want to give sky the heave ho, but want to check whether the ariva 250 is up to par.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry, what do you mean by that comment?

I read him as saying you have to threaten to leave a telco before the will up the BB speed. In my experience Eircom is by far the worst offender. At least with Voda, you could/can haffle.

Apologies for going off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I read him as saying you have to threaten to leave a telco before the will up the BB speed. In my experience Eircom is by far the worst offender. At least with Voda, you could/can haffle.

Apologies for going off-topic.
    I thought he was referring to Sky but again the post was more to do with broadband providers etc than getting rid of Sky as per the thread topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

eoing1 wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking, get rid of sky multi room and install the ariva 250 in the spare room.

Yeah.
    Would it affect the sky signal in the main room

No.
    , can both be runat the same time?

Yes.

I too want to give sky the heave ho, but want to check whether the ariva 250 is up to par.

My folks ditched UPC for a couple of these boxes and are well pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^
    Cheers Chuck
    Just ordered one from satellite.ie, (fiver off for using boards.ie as code). I'll post here of how I get on. I know sweet fanny adams about
    them, so it should be interesting.
    My set up at the moment is : Sky recordable in one room
    Ordinary Sky box in 2 other rooms.
    Dont have an aerial. (at least I dont think i have one, always seemed to have "the pipe"
    Ordered : Ariva 250 combo box from satellite.ie for €114.24 @ 6.30 am Fri 08/03/2013

This is with a view to getting rid of sky totally, a little further down the line. If sky wasn't so expensive and stopped showing
    ads I probably wouldn't do this. Their user interface I like, its quite friendly.
    Paying for ads displeases me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

If they currently do not have boxes that can record then they won't miss the record feature. I would suggest setting up a combo box in the second room, connected to a TV aerial and the existing cable from the dish. If they are happy with that then ditch the main Sky box.

The main thing to check is what shows they actually watch, and what channels they are on. Combo boxes only pick up the free channels. We cannot discuss carsharing on this forum, you will be banned if asking about it again. Only legal methods are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

first of all, apologies!! I can see that there are many threads up describing to some degree what I need but I have a bit of information overload....

I have the same question really per title of the thread....but basically I want to shaft SKY

my story:
    I just found out yesterday that my elderly parents been paying out guts of €90 per month for their 2 box standard sky setup (I think the equivalent seems to be a marketing term called "entertainment plus" with multiroom) and have been paying way over odds now for probably a very long time (I think victims of the early adopter scenario, they've had sky since day 1) the equivalent today price is €50 pm?!?!
    sky attitude was totally unapologetic, even tried to resell them the same thing for €78 pm plus I ended up arguing about them being forced to plug a phoneline into one of the boxes on the multiroom.....I was thinking of cancelling/re-apply under my name but I'm just so totally seriously pissed off at the way we getting treated so actually want to go further now and get rid of sky out of all our lives!

anyway long story short I want to sort them and myself out
    years ago I was aware of clone cards etc. I had no idea things moved along so far these days....I'm reading about concepts like cardsharing sites etc (although I'm a computer tech I'm very new to this subject so excuse ignorance)

is the cardsharing concept a workable option in Ireland? is satboxes.com the place to go to solve my woes?

thanx

Sky are not bad. They are the same as any tv or telco either here uk or anywhere. You get snail mail, SMS and calls with latest offers and prices if you opt in. So just open your sky mail or go on their website. Latest prices and offers are far from secret.

I found the same scenario with my grand parent with a few bills and I was more angry with myself for not helping them sooner than I was at the companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

first of all, apologies!! I can see that there are many threads up describing to some degree what I need but I have a bit of information overload....

I have the same question really per title of the thread....but basically I want to shaft SKY

my story:
    I just found out yesterday that my elderly parents been paying out guts of €90 per month for their 2 box standard sky setup (I think the equivalent seems to be a marketing term called "entertainment plus" with multiroom) and have been paying way over odds now for probably a very long time (I think victims of the early adopter scenario, they've had sky since day 1) the equivalent today price is €50 pm?!?!
    sky attitude was totally unapologetic, even tried to resell them the same thing for €78 pm plus I ended up arguing about them being forced to plug a phoneline into one of the boxes on the multiroom.....I was thinking of cancelling/re-apply under my name but I'm just so totally seriously pissed off at the way we getting treated so actually want to go further now and get rid of sky out of all our lives!

anyway long story short I want to sort them and myself out
    years ago I was aware of clone cards etc. I had no idea things moved along so far these days....I'm reading about concepts like cardsharing sites etc (although I'm a computer tech I'm very new to this subject so excuse ignorance)

is the cardsharing concept a workable option in Ireland? is satboxes.com the place to go to solve my woes?

thanx

I didn't understand t&cs it's there fault so il shaft them post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I currently have a Sky HD box in the sitting room which also feeds into another television in the kitchen via a cable and magic eye. I also have another old sky box in the main bedroom which also feeds the kids playroom downstairs via a cable and magic eye. However like all of us I am looking for ways to save money, and basically I would like to get rid of multiroom, and save myself €15 a month on this second box. I know that I could still keep my sky box without a card which would give me a basic UK EPG, but my problem is that the kids section is too bloody good on Sky, and I would be lynched by the kids :D. I can live without the Irish channels as I have those from the main Sky box, so can anybody out there give me any idea how I can get rid of my multiroom subscription, but still have a decent selection of kids channels. Finally somebody on here has mentioned the Ariva 250 combo box which I presume is a Freeview/Saorview combo box, but would I just get the same channels on my Sky box minus the Irish channels? Finally why does Saorview use an aerial and not a satellite dish?

• Advertisement

gilly2308 wrote: »
    I currently have a Sky HD box in the sitting room which also feeds into another television in the kitchen via a cable and magic eye. I also have another old sky box in the main bedroom which also feeds the kids playroom downstairs via a cable and magic eye. However like all of us I am looking for ways to save money, and basically I would like to get rid of multiroom, and save myself €15 a month on this second box. I know that I could still keep my sky box without a card which would give me a basic UK EPG, but my problem is that the kids section is too bloody good on Sky, and I would be lynched by the kids :D. I can live without the Irish channels as I have those from the main Sky box, so can anybody out there give me any idea how I can get rid of my multiroom subscription, but still have a decent selection of kids channels. Finally somebody on here has mentioned the Ariva 250 combo box which I presume is a Freeview/Saorview combo box, but would I just get the same channels on my Sky box minus the Irish channels? Finally why does Saorview use an aerial and not a satellite dish?

Regarding the aerial and the dish and the combo box, that would not solve your problem.

If the kids channels you want are pay channels, then they need to come from a paid source. Have you considered running a magic eye from the main box to all the TVs? OK you would need to watch the same channel on every TV, but you could keep the old unsubscribed box as a backup when you want to watch two different shows.

Have you attempted to haggle with Sky? They normally give half price for 6 months without much of a struggle if you say you want to cancel. Also have a look at what bundles you are on and drop things like movies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

why does Saorview use an aerial and not a satellite dish?

Saorview is the digital terrestrial tv replacement for the old analogue terrestrial tv service via an aerial, transmitting since 1961 (long before TV broadcasting satellites), which was switched off last Oct.

Due to TV broadcasting rights issues the Irish channels only pay broadcasting rights for a population of 6.2 million (incl. NI), if they were free on (the Sky) satellite they would be available to a much larger UK and European population, 100+ million people. The Irish broadcasters could not afford the cost of broadcasting rights to that satellite coverage area so on satellite the Irish channels are encrypted and only available via an Irish Sky subscription.

The Cush wrote: »
    Saorview is the digital terrestrial tv replacement for the old analogue terrestrial tv service via an aerial, transmitting since 1961 (long before TV broadcasting satellites), which was switched off last Oct.

Due to TV broadcasting rights issues the Irish channels only pay broadcasting rights for a population of 6.2 million (incl. NI), if they were free on (the Sky) satellite they would be available to a much larger UK and European population, 100+ million people. The Irish broadcasters could not afford the cost of broadcasting rights to that satellite coverage area so on satellite the Irish channels are encrypted and only available via an Irish Sky subscription.

Thanks for that mate, cheers.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Regarding the aerial and the dish and the combo box, that would not solve your problem.

If the kids channels you want are pay channels, then they need to come from a paid source. Have you considered running a magic eye from the main box to all the TVs? OK you would need to watch the same channel on every TV, but you could keep the old unsubscribed box as a backup when you want to watch two different shows.

Have you attempted to haggle with Sky? They normally give half price for 6 months without much of a struggle if you say you want to cancel. Also have a look at what bundles you are on and drop things like movies etc.

Thanks for the reply, and in relation to the bundle that I am currently on it is basically 'Sky Entertainment Extra' which is pretty much all of the available channels minus any of the subscription packages such as Sky Sports, Movies etc. I presume that were I to cancel my multiroom that my second box would still function with a basic UK EPG, so if I power down my box, pull the card and power it back up again I should basically see what I will get if I cancel my multiroom? I must try this and see if there are enough kids channels to keep my little feckers happy, otherwise I will have to start haggling with Sky.

Thanks for the reply, and in relation to the bundle that I am currently on it is basically 'Sky Entertainment Extra' which is pretty much all of the available channels minus any of the subscription packages such as Sky Sports, Movies etc. I presume that were I to cancel my multiroom that my second box would still function with a basic UK EPG, so if I power down my box, pull the card and power it back up again I should basically see what I will get if I cancel my multiroom? I must try this and see if there are enough kids channels to keep my little feckers happy, otherwise I will have to start haggling with Sky.

Entertainment extra is more expensive than basic entertainment, 7 Euro per month, but if you downgrade you lose Discovery channel , national geographic etc.

If you want to test without a card then remove the card and put it back in upside down, otherwise it complains no card inserted. I would suggest putting all the free channels as favourites and switching between them using the blue button, so you can skip all the "you are not subscribed to this channel" messages on all the other channels

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Entertainment extra is only more expensive if you are willing to pay extra. How much are you paying for your package?

Sky are great for haggling

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Entertainment extra is only more expensive if you are willing to pay extra. How much are you paying for your package?

Sky are great for haggling

Entertainment Extra is €35 a month and then it's €15 extra for Multiroom which I think is way too much. I wouldn't be a big fan of UPC but in fairness I think they only charge €7 a month for any extra boxes.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Entertainment extra is more expensive than basic entertainment, 7 Euro per month, but if you downgrade you lose Discovery channel , national geographic etc.

If you want to test without a card then remove the card and put it back in upside down, otherwise it complains no card inserted. I would suggest putting all the free channels as favourites and switching between them using the blue button, so you can skip all the "you are not subscribed to this channel" messages on all the other channels

I powered down the second box today and powered it back up again with no card inserted. I then got a UK EPG with BBC1 as my first channel, however the choice of channels was then severely limited, with most channels such as Sky1, Sky Atlantic etc and all of the kids channels looking for a card. If it wasn't for the kids channels I would get rid of the second box in the morning, but if I do I will pay for it as the kids will have me tormented looking to watch the main box. At this stage I think the only option is to haggle with Sky, but thanks for all of the help anyway folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Entertainment Extra is €35 a month and then it's €15 extra for Multiroom which I think is way too much. I wouldn't be a big fan of UPC but in fairness I think they only charge €7 a month for any extra boxes.

I'm paying €27 for Entertainment Extra. They tried to put in up about 4/5 months ago so I rang to cancel and they extended my €27 price for another 12 months.

Always worth ringing.

There's people paying even less than that too

Advertisement