Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a word for....

Options
  • 18-08-2013 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

OK, so I'm in the middle of writing, and I need a phrase or adverb or some word or combination of words to describe how my character is sighing, and thought maybe you guys on here might be of some help :D To put it in context, here's a bit of the part I'm working on:

Harry pots two reds in one. I can't help but scowl. He goes for blue this time and gets it. I dig the ball out of the pocket, down my drink in one swift mouthful, and fill it up again. And again. The game goes on like this for several minutes, until Harry decides it simply isn't polite to hog the table, and nicks two reds on his way to the green again. I step forward. Harry steps back. He rests his cue across his shoulders, arms slung casually over it. His shirt stretches across his lithe body, his chest sloping into the perfect narrow V of his waist. I lower my head and concentrate on the red ball in front of me. I get it.

'Emerson,' Harry says slowly as I stand up. 'We're - we're friends, aren't we?' He looks at me across the table. I try to decide which ball I should aim for next - pink or blue? I can't remember which scores the most points. Do I care?

'Are we?' Pink. Pink is just less than black. I clip the white. It just about nicks the pink, which goes nowhere. I grimace.

'I think we are.' Harry lowers his cue. I reach for my brandy.

'Well then I suppose we are.'

Harry sighs

For a bit more context, the two characters are ex lovers seeing each other for the first time in a long time, and Harry feels Emerson is being deliberately awkward, but he's about to ask for a favour. So he is exasperated, but his sigh cannot be quite as extreme as exasperation. It's more he's thinking, "I knew you were going to be like this" - but I have hit a total block, and cannot think of any appropriate phrase/word to express his thoughts via sigh! Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I'd be very grateful :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is it kind of a sigh of resignation?

The internet says "resignedly" is a word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Hmm, I think not quite. It's more like exasperation, but as he's about to ask for a favour, he can't express his full exasperation/impatience/annoyance/resignation...I have a feeling this is going to bug me for a while! And I can't find my copy of Roget's, dammit! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Yeah, I did try those sites first. Nothing. I may have to compromise :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

'Harry groaned', perhaps? Or maybe 'Harry grumbled'?

To me, 'Harry sighed' on its own works okay. The context you can provide in the rest of the conversation which will hopefully put the sigh in context.

Failing that, how about just 'Harry shook his head'. It's quite ambiguous and might work well.

Best of luck anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I think you could just leave it as 'Harry sighs'. You're writing from Emerson's POV, so he isn't going to know the exact emotion behind someone else's gestures or actions.

'Harry sighs' shows us that he's frustrated without completely spelling it out. I think it works fine as it is.

/just my 2c

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

exasperation is right - but as you said too extreme - so maybe go ahead and use it in a reduced way...

something like

Harry sighs. It's a sigh that hints at exasperation but settles for something less.

or

more simply

Harry sighs with mild exasperation.

something along those lines maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

dejectedly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

hereitcomesedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Could it be "dispiritedly"?

I mean, Harry knows he's facing an uphill struggle, but still has to go through with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

I think the phrase you want is "Harry surrenders with a sigh"

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

Dont want to divert the thread but it seems ridiculous to set up a new thread just too ask what is the phrase/word for that outward nasal sniff that confirms an acceptance of light humour ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Dunlaffin wrote: »
    Dont want to divert the thread but it seems ridiculous to set up a new thread just too ask what is the phrase/word for that outward nasal sniff that confirms an acceptance of light humour ?

Shh! It's one of our most popular threads!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Suggest conveying Harry's mood through body language rather than going for an adjective or adverb. Decide what emotion he's feeling and choose body language to reflect that emotion (shoulders slumped, grimace, eye rolling). The reader will pick up what you mean and it will increase the emotional impact, and the connection the reader feels with Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

"Harry sighs" on its own works perfectly. I'm just finishing Stephen King's On Writing and he said a common rookie error is the overuse of adverbs. To say that he sighed dejectedly or sighed impatiently doesn't sound right. Couldn't you say:

Harry sighed. Emerson, sensing the frustration in his demeanour etc etc....

Advertisement