Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract & Payslip concerns

Options
  • 01-10-2015 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey guys,

So I finally got a position in a school for a year with my own ours. Was given a fixed term contract of 19h20m. Contract terminated on 31/8/16.

I was pulled out of class today by the principal to have a meeting in their office. Apparently some teacher was on career break for 5 years and I think some of my allocated hours were actually hers. I'm under the impression 5 years is the make career break so when this was flagged she been given maternity leave. So the principal was talking about reducing my fixed term hours and allocating the others as maternity leave cover.

Any advice on what I should do? Apparently when holidays come, I'll only be paid for my fixed term and not my maternity cover hours which would take off about a 1/4 of my wage. I'm only in the door and in one sense I don't want to be rocking the boat and on the other hand I'm taking quite a hit in the pocket.

Added to this is I haven't received a payslip yet and I'm wondering did they notice the mistake then and haven't wanted to issue my payslip documenting that the hours were all my own. I guess I can't know this till I actually get a payslip to see. Do you just get onto the dept. of education payroll division to find out about your payslip? It could just be a matter of my changing address.

Just feeling like I'm between a rock and a hard place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Conorlly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Conorlly wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I finally got a position in a school for a year with my own ours. Was given a fixed term contract of 19h20m. Contract terminated on 31/8/16.

I was pulled out of class today by the principal to have a meeting in their office. Apparently some teacher was on career break for 5 years and I think some of my allocated hours were actually hers. I'm under the impression 5 years is the make career break so when this was flagged she been given maternity leave. So the principal was talking about reducing my fixed term hours and allocating the others as maternity leave cover.

Any advice on what I should do? Apparently when holidays come, I'll only be paid for my fixed term and not my maternity cover hours which would take off about a 1/4 of my wage. I'm only in the door and in one sense I don't want to be rocking the boat and on the other hand I'm taking quite a hit in the pocket.

Added to this is I haven't received a payslip yet and I'm wondering did they notice the mistake then and haven't wanted to issue my payslip documenting that the hours were all my own. I guess I can't know this till I actually get a payslip to see. Do you just get onto the dept. of education payroll division to find out about your payslip? It could just be a matter of my changing address.

Just feeling like I'm between a rock and a hard place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Conorlly

Had you already signed the 12 month fixed term contract? If so, do not sign any new contract yet and get onto your union ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Conorlly

Yeah, I signed back at the end of June.

I have still to join a union :/ I'll get onto the rep in the school in the morn. I had intended to join on account of my being a male teacher in an all girls school anyway.

I know at least one other teacher is in the same boat, but if it is who I think it is I'd imagine it will hit them harder as they've been kept on again this year and this will probably affect their CID

From talking to my sister, who's also a teacher, she was of the opinion that I would probably just have to suck it up and just try to get a decent reference out of the year. Given that there's too many teachers chasing too few job not being CID means you're pretty much there to be used and abused.

The whole situation has just really taken the shine of the job. I'd a been happier just getting the reduced hours from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Yeah, I signed back at the end of June.

I have still to join a union :/ I'll get onto the rep in the school in the morn. I had intended to join on account of my being a male teacher in an all girls school anyway.

I know at least one other teacher is in the same boat, but if it is who I think it is I'd imagine it will hit them harder as they've been kept on again this year and this will probably affect their CID

From talking to my sister, who's also a teacher, she was of the opinion that I would probably just have to suck it up and just try to get a decent reference out of the year. Given that there's too many teachers chasing too few job not being CID means you're pretty much there to be used and abused.

The whole situation has just really taken the shine of the job. I'd a been happier just getting the reduced hours from the very start.

I know it is hard when you are only in the door but I think the Principal is screwing you over.

Have a look at the original Fixed Term contract that you signed as it should state the origin of the hours, if they are from a career break etc.

Give Payroll in Athlone a call about your Payslip and they can tell you what hours you were paid for and change the address you want the payslip sent to if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

were you given any objective grounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Of course you could go the legal route through the union or a privately hired solicitor (who might work for the union also!).

Leaving aside the nuts and bolts of 'money' owed, maybe consider the worth of these "own hours" you have. When the year is up it'll be up to the school to keep you on, so would these 'own hours' be worth anything. Not after the 1st year, but if you decide to go the legal route do you think you would be asked back ofter that year? Balance this with taking it on the chin and hoping to extend your own hours for another year in the same school and then having a shot at a CID if you 'play ball' with the Principal. It depends on yourself I suppose, (prospects for the future, financial security etc) and also how much you think the Principal would make trouble for you by looking for what's on the face of it, rightfully yours!

I'd say get advice from the Union anyway (get your membership in ASAP), they could at least discuss possible outcomes. Although I don't know if the Union would accept to take on new cases if stuff happened before a member joined, but just send in your application as soon as you can (there might be a wait if you have to be ratified by your union rep in the school at the next union meeting)... maybe someone with better union experience here could clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Make sure if you end up with maternity hours that you get paid the hourly rate for those hours to make up for not getting paid those hours in the summer

We'll my contract says "Fixed-Term Teacher" and the hours arising from "curricular concessions/special needs/Behaviour for learning".

One a the staff members whose hours I have has taken on the role of behaviour for learning. Haven't a clue about special needs could that be english as an additional language?

I need to just find out what classes are the four hours and if this one is on maternity leave when she should be back, as that was never mentioned during the meeting. That way I can go back in and say where is she if she never materialises.

Yeh, I could go to the unions and they'd fight it for me and I'd probably win (a contract is a contract) but I could be shooting myself in the foot for the year and when I go looking for a job again during the summer. It's good to have a principal on your side when the annual hunt for jobs comes round. If you don't get your ticket during the summer your just scavenging for subbing scraps.

I was told I'd get my same wage just not on the holidays. Is that new that you don't get paid over christmas, easter, etc. while covering maternity leave, or has that always been the way. Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Leaving aside the nuts and bolts of 'money' owed, maybe consider the worth of these "own hours" you have. When the year is up it'll be up to the school to keep you on, so would these 'own hours' be worth anything. Not after the 1st year, but if you decide to go the legal route do you think you would be asked back ofter that year? Balance this with taking it on the chin and hoping to extend your own hours for another year in the same school and then having a shot at a CID if you 'play ball' with the Principal. It depends on yourself I suppose, (prospects for the future, financial security etc) and also how much you think the Principal would make trouble for you by looking for what's on the face of it, rightfully yours!

You said it Gebgbegb,

That's the rub of it really. I think I'll fold on this, in the hopes that it'll stand to me further down the track - that said, it really goes against the adage 'one in the hand is worth two in the bush'.

Part of me is thinking this one has been gone for five years and going straight on maternity leave. Is she really going to come back and if she doesn't what are the chances of them reinstating my old contract. I honestly believe they just made a big admin error and didn't foresee her career break coming to an end, but I don't seeing them rushing out to reinstate my initial contract that caused them such a headache if she doesn't come back. I don't think any amount of sentimentality, or sense of 'we should return the favour, since he did us a solid', is going to motivate them if she doesn't return.

I guess I'll just have to let them know I'm quite displeased and it's affecting me quite adversely financially, however, if it's the only solution they have to their predicament I'll concede the hours.

Make sure if you end up with maternity hours that you get paid the hourly rate for those hours to make up for not getting paid those hours in the summer

How else would you get paid for them?

I was told I'd get the same pay I get at the moment, I just wouldn't get paid over the holidays. Is that a bit fishy? Should I get more for those hours since their not parsed out over the holidays?

How else would you get paid for them?

I was told I'd get the same pay I get at the moment, I just wouldn't get paid over the holidays. Is that a bit fishy? Should I get more for those hours since their not parsed out over the holidays?

I'm not too sure but IIRC from older threads you should be getting holiday pay included in the regular pay, so start saving. (Apply for invigilation/correcting too!)

It's probably best to ring the dept payroll and ask what you've been put in for (you can ask them all about maternity pay too). I think you might also be able to claim social welfare over the holidays too. Have a look at previous threads (search the forum for 'maternity sub pay' in the main forum menu (top right of the thread feed)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I'm not too sure but IIRC from older threads you should be getting holiday pay included in the regular pay, so start saving. (Apply for invigilation/correcting too!)

I think they had to stop paying the rolled up holiday pay from last year. Not sure of the implications of it from memory but definitely saw the circular on it.

The whole thing seems a bit strange.

I think they had to stop paying the rolled up holiday pay from last year. Not sure of the implications of it from memory but definitely saw the circular on it.

The whole thing seems a bit strange.

Do you mean the OP's story he's getting seems strange, or the payment of holiday pay within the current payslip seems strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

The story is a bit strange but it could be true too.

You wouldn't know what might be going on there that could be beyond the control of the school. Its still hard on the OP no matter what the reason for it.

Are the hours broken down on the contract? I.e. 7 for career break etc. You're probably not there long enough to suss out another teacher who might know the story with the one on leave?

Also, did you work for sept OP?

I was there at start of year if that's what you mean Gebgbegb - been in the school five weeks now.

The initial contract didn't specify how the hours were broken down. When I applied for the job it was 9 hours and 20 mins and after the interview they rang back offering 19 so hours appeared outta no where from my perspective.

I still haven't been given another contract to sign... Principal has barely said two words to me since (I don't mean that in a bad way, I just barely see them) so I don't know if it's been implemented without signing another contract or if it's going ahead.

I handed my letter into ASTI headquarters since the post was striking the other day. Got a confirmation of it being received but still waiting on the green light. I'll have to ask them about maternity leave pay and holidays. I wouldn't be surprised if you only get per hour and nothing for holidays.

Ok,

So got my payslips. I got put down to the 15h 20m for the last pay period and they took arrears. On top of that they neglected to pay me for the maternity leave cover so I ended up getting about 300 euro after tax.

Absolutely raging. As it stands, they just cut my hours and aren't paying me for the four hours I have and am doing. I'm pretty sure I should have signed a new contract before they did that.

Advertisement