Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Towncentre granted new anchor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With relation to Golden Island, I imagine Tesco must feel quite confined in that end of centre space when compared to stores in the likes of Ballinasloe, Birr, Roscommon and that Extra in Tullamore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Tesco do have an Express out near Monksland and they wanted to build a Tesco petrol station out near Supervalu, but it was vito'd just like Aldi and how they wanted to build on the Roscommon road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The design of Golden Island is ridiculous
    walk all the way to get to the supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The design of Golden Island is ridiculous
    walk all the way to get to the supermarket

Tesco are the anchor tenant. Thats the whole idea. You have to walk past all the other shops to get to it. Thus creating footfall for the small independent traders. There is an ongoing row in Tullamore shopping centre at the moment where Dunnes are opening a side door so people dont have to go through the shopping centre. The traders there are picketing the exit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Completely understandable why they'd object to a sidedoor. Why would you pay the high rents of a shopping centre unit when everyone can bypass you and drop your footfall.

Tesco in Golden Island were looking to do that too, adding an entrance to the side of their store, pretty sure they were shot down on that, despite being the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Completely understandable why they'd object to a sidedoor. Why would you pay the high rents of a shopping centre unit when everyone can bypass you and drop your footfall.

Tesco in Golden Island were looking to do that too, adding an entrance to the side of their store, pretty sure they were shot down on that, despite being the owners.

If they lost the rent in GI, they could kiss goodbye to offering free parking to everyone. Half the reason the place is so popular is free parking.

Side-door would also require a complete reallignment of the car-park. If (say) 50% of those going to GI are Tesco shoppers, the staff car park would suddenly be used by regular punters.

TBH its fine the way it is. Free car park subsidied by customers of the stores. Wish the rest of town (and towns across the country - i cant stand paying to park in 1-horse towns) worked that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think it was moreso when Tesco was 24 hour. The mall was wide open for all and sundry to trapse through all night, lord knows we did that ourselves after the nightclub for some nibbles and a sit down on the bench with sore feet.
    With a door at the Tesco end of the mall, they should have been able to close off the main mall then at night time, save on unnecessary security work.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

If they lost the rent in GI, they could kiss goodbye to offering free parking to everyone. Half the reason the place is so popular is free parking.

Side-door would also require a complete reallignment of the car-park. If (say) 50% of those going to GI are Tesco shoppers, the staff car park would suddenly be used by regular punters.

TBH its fine the way it is. Free car park subsidied by customers of the stores. Wish the rest of town (and towns across the country - i cant stand paying to park in 1-horse towns) worked that way.

Providing free parking was one of the conditions of planning permission being granted in the first place ! They tried to bring in paid parking a few years ago (they even installed the pay stations) but they had to back down when they were reminded of that one of the conditions for planning consent was that the car parking provided would be free.

I wasn't aware that there was a staff car park - Do you mean the car park nearest to the Dublin road that isn't used much because it's further away from the entrance ? The staff park in the most convenient spot they can find like everyone else....

I agree with you about having to pay for parking in towns. Visitors hate it - Ireland of the welcomes ? - Ireland of the money grabbing gombeens more like .:mad:

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I think it was moreso when Tesco was 24 hour.

What hours are they open these days then - It was fierce handy when they were open 24 hours....

Pity you couldn't buy booze 24 hours - Who was responsible for the current stupid licensing laws ? - Like you can't buy alcohol before a certain time in the morning - What the hell is that all about ? .:rolleyes:

Long Gone wrote: »
    What hours are they open these days then - It was fierce handy when they were open 24 hours....
    8am-12pm

Cut again from 6am-12am i think. I don't blame them. The few customers they get at night would do their shopping a different day (or goto Kilmartins/Grove for late night Johnnys/Tampax or call the 24 hour beer guy for beer).

Point is they were losing money. The side door entrance at night would have attracted a few extra customers i guess. The town doesn't need 24 hour shopping, nowhere does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

8am-12pm

Cut again from 6am-12am i think. I don't blame them. The few customers they get at night would do their shopping a different day (or goto Kilmartins/Grove for late night Johnnys/Tampax or call the 24 hour beer guy for beer).

Point is they were losing money. The side door entrance at night would have attracted a few extra customers i guess. The town doesn't need 24 hour shopping, nowhere does.

Nothing to do with Golden Island ,It is a Tesco policy in General to cut costs , When they were busy Nationally they paid lots of staff to work through the night on Premium Wages to stock shelves , I often went Golden Island @ 6 AM and there were dozens of workers busy stacking shelves ,Look at the opening time for Tesco in Tullamore , Maynooth and Naas , All Huge stores that are now only open form 6 or 8 am to midnight..

The town doesn't need 24 hour shopping, nowhere does.

As a frequent night shift worker I completely disagree. It's 2014 - We should have a 24/7 economy now. The disappearance of 24 hour shopping in Athlone is if anything indicative of the general economic decline that has befallen the town. Any decent sized town or city should have 24 hour shopping, and most of them have.

As a frequent night shift worker I completely disagree. It's 2014 - We should have a 24/7 economy now. The disappearance of 24 hour shopping in Athlone is if anything indicative of the general economic decline that has befallen the town. Any decent sized town or city should have 24 hour shopping, and most of them have.

I don't think they do. Or that they have. Portlaoise tullamore mullingar don't have them.

Buzz words like 24/7 economy do not beat facts of supply and demand. I can't see it returning outside of cities minimum galways size.

I don't think they do. Or that they have. Portlaoise tullamore mullingar don't have them.

Buzz words like 24/7 economy do not beat facts of supply and demand. I can't see it returning outside of cities minimum galways size.

This is Athlone, capital of the midlands that we're talking about here, not parochial backwaters like Portlaoise, Tullamore and Mullingar. A town with the population critical mass and the vibrancy of Athlone should support be able 24 hour supermarket opening of at least one supermarket.

24 hour shopping is available in any decent sized town in say the UK or France - Why does everything in Ireland always have to be second or third rate ? ?

This is Athlone, capital of the midlands that we're talking about here, not parochial backwaters like Portlaoise, Tullamore and Mullingar. A town with the population critical mass and the vibrancy of Athlone should support be able 24 hour supermarket opening of at least one supermarket.

24 hour shopping is available in any decent sized town in say the UK or France - Why does everything in Ireland always have to be second or third rate ? ?

FFS Supermarkets in France close @ 1 pm on a Sunday

Athlone is not Vibrant these days - there have been ALOT of closures and false starts of new shops the past few years, retail and social venues inclusive. Not as bad as other towns but still pretty bad.

The UK (legally) cannot open on Sundays in most stores until 1pm. Some don't even bother and close for the day. I include some 24 hour stores in this.

As for any UK town the size of Athlone having 24 hour shopping , please name a few. I've lived in Sheffield (population twice the size of Cork), but am unfamiliar with small towns - the few i've seen seem to stray away from big supermarkets that are open all the time. Of course yes the cities there have it.

Generally things are actually pretty good now. Wouldn't trade it for the problems/cost of living in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Galway no longer has a 24hr supermarket. Only convenience stores and service stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Small shops in Athlone struggling to survive? Stop that nonsense wilya

http://www.joe.ie/life-style/pic-athlone-shoe-shop-offers-a-deal-you-would-only-see-in-ireland/478327

As for any UK town the size of Athlone having 24 hour shopping , please name a few.

No problem - There are ASDA stores in almost every town in the UK and most are 24 hours open. Let's take a little place like Roehampton as an example :

http://storelocator.asda.com/store/roehampton

Or sleepy little Lincoln :

http://storelocator.asda.com/store/lincoln-north-hykeham

You can find as many as you like on the ASDA website and many have a catchment population smaller than that of Athlone.

The UK (legally) cannot open on Sundays in most stores until 1pm. Some don't even bother and close for the day.

You better call the UK police and tell them that ASDA are opening at 11am on a Sunday ! .:eek:

And those criminals in Sainsburys open at 10am....

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/storelocator/storelocator_landing.jsp?bmForm=stores_main_search&bmFormID=1418314545742&bmUID=1418314545742&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2Fsol%2Fstorelocator%2Fstorelocator_landing.jsp&bmText=search_string_field&search_string_field=lincoln&bmHidden=notifysearchcontroller&notifysearchcontroller=fromsrchmechnsm&bmSubmit=Go&bmHidden=isJavascriptEnabled&isJavascriptEnabled=true&redirectto=mapView

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

go to Sweden.
    all off licences close 5pm on saturday, not open on a Sunday.
    actually, that would improve Athlone

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Small shops in Athlone struggling to survive? Stop that nonsense wilya

http://www.joe.ie/life-style/pic-athlone-shoe-shop-offers-a-deal-you-would-only-see-in-ireland/478327

Didn't I see the same shop with a closing down notice on it's door?

Just with regards to the 24hour status of Tesco, there's no need for it. The demand is simply not there. I used to live opposite Golden Island a few years ago when they have 24hour opening. The couple of times I dropped in around 1/2am even around 3am there were bugger all people shopping. Only once do I recall seeing someone with a trolley doing a proper shop.

Wouldn't surprise me if they tried that kind of gimmicky paddywhackery sales tactics - Embarassing.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

I think it has closed by now. Not a good place for a store. you can just about walk pass the store as the path is not wide enough and they counldn't widen it cause of the traffic going through the town

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Wouldn't surprise me if they tried that kind of gimmicky paddywhackery sales tactics - Embarassing.......:rolleyes:

AR Trading out in Monksland have had Closing down sale signs up for the last couple of mounths :P

Itzy wrote: »
    AR Trading out in Monksland have had Closing down sale signs up for the last couple of mounths :P

Over a year in fact

galait wrote: »
    Over a year in fact

That crowd are from cute hour country (mayo). More the fool that takes it for real. Still the odd decent offer on furniture. Tip: haggle like a champ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Out of the towns mentioned, Tullamore has the lowest population. Portlaoise and Athlone are within 8 of each other. And Mullingar is just 50 behind Athlone.
    2011 Census - Towns Categorised by Population Number
    Furthermore, Portlaoise and Tullamore are the main town of their respective counties. On top of that, Portlaoise is alongside the main motorways to the south west (M7/M8). So none can be classed as "parochial backwaters" as you've claimed.

Regards the 24hr shopping, none of the aforementioned towns need it in my opinion. And the retailers agree or the service would be provided

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

What a retarded statement. Out of the towns mentioned, Tullamore has the lowest population. Portlaoise and Athlone are within 8 of each other. And Mullingar is just 50 behind Athlone.
    2011 Census - Towns Categorised by Population Number
    Furthermore, Portlaoise and Tullamore are the main town of their respective counties. On top of that, Portlaoise is alongside the main motorways to the south west (M7/M8). So none can be classed as "parochial backwaters" as you've claimed.

Regards the 24hr shopping, none of the aforementioned towns need it in my opinion. And the retailers agree or the service would be provided

And Athlone isn't even the capital of Westmeath let alone "the midlands" ffs

• Advertisement

ShaunC wrote: »
    And Athlone isn't even the capital of Westmeath let alone "the midlands" ffs

No, but it's still a sizeable town in the midlands on the main Dublin to Galway corridor and a neglected town at that.

Advertisement