Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars

Options
  • 16-09-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Like most of you I have had over the years a lot of interests. For me they include football, rugby, hurling, motorbikes and cars. (Amongst many others of course not including my actual hobbies .... see my signature as an example as it is also a link to another forum on Boards.ie)

Anyway that is beside the point, One of the things I do like and always have is the subject of cars. I have owned a fair few over the years, exactly how many I have not worked out. Yet I seem to also have had a slightly odd liking to unusual cars.

Currently my favourites include the Marcos Mantula

eg:

Do any of you like odd or not so famous cars? Or for that matter are there any strange cars you detest? Personally I always disliked the DeLorien.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Jaguar enthusiast here. Love them. Most Sundays during the summer Mr Laying Hen and I can be found at some vintage show or other displaying our 40 year old Jag. Not odd cars as such, but over this side of the pond vintage and classic Jags aren't that common. We both like all types of cars and would recommend if you haven't been already to try and get to The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu in
    Hampshire. Cars to suit all tastes can be found there. We have spent many happy days wandering around there getting our fix of four wheeled lovelies.

When I grow up (:rolleyes:) my dream is to get a convertible Jaguar XKR and roar off into the sunset. Just me, the Jack Russell and possibly Mr Laying Hen if he promises to let me speed away to my hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I think I have already stated in here somewhere about my fondness for Jags Layinghen. But if you like unusual Jags XK220 and XKSS are pretty unusual especially the XKSS (Which would be around instead of the E Type if the factory hadn't been burned to the ground)
    Jaguar-XKSS-X12-PebbleM.jpg

Have sat in a D Type (the racing version of the XKSS for those non Jag heads out there!) and have had the pleasure of seeing a few XJ220s in the flesh. A friend of ours was given the opportunity to buy one once but he wisely passed.

We used to visit the Jaguar Heritage museum in Browns Lane about twice a year until they closed it. Heartbreaking to think that that historical site is now a housing estate.

We tour the Jaguar factory in Castle Bromwich at least once a year. As you can see our Jaguar addiction is very bad.

Always promised myself a Jag when I could afford it. Oh I did see I posted a typo I called the XJ220 an XK220. Sorry my fault and my brain at a standstill for a vital moment there. But I do like it (XJ220 that is) IMO The short nosed D Type looked better than the long nosed version, but both are in the realms of the best looking cars ever.

Don't worry about typos Rubecula, it's only Jag nuts like us that might notice. As for getting a Jag, go for it, it's only money after all. You should pick up a nice pre owned (never 2nd hand with Jags ;)) S Type over there for little enough money. Your road tax there should be somewhere between £400 and £500 I think. Compared with €1494 here :eek: but such are the joys of loving your car.

Yes as well as a classic we have a modern Jag as well. Hope the tax man isn't reading this!

• Advertisement

Not over keen on the S Type. Sooner have a classic Mk 2 than that. But I like the XKR or even XK8... and believe it or not I was one of the few folks I know who liked the XJS.

Wouldn't refuse a MK9. Realistically a nice XJ6 would do me, but not for the short journey I normally do. At the moment I drive a VW Passat diesel, battered and old but does me fine for now.

You and Mr Laying Hen would get on well. He is a fan of the XJS as well. Doesn't do it for me I am afraid - doesn't have the lovely Jag curves that I like.

Maybe when the Passat (have driven a few of them as well in my time) gives up the ghost you might be tempted get the Jag. A XJ6 series 1 or 2 would be nice and a good buy if you were able to do the mechanics yourself. Obviously being a Jag you could be spending a lot of time under the bonnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I know someone in The Wirrel who owns a Marcos Mantula. Is it true that it's low enough to drive under the toll barriers of the Mersey tunnels?

I searching (well, just flicking through ads for a few years) for a '61 S type as a long term project. It'll be another 10 years before I get round to consider actually buying one but the dream is there.

The Jag is a realistic dream, it WILL happen someday, but the Ferrari is and always will be my Dream car. The 275 is the most beautiful car ever made, bar none. The Ferrari sports cars and super cars get all the accalim but the Grand Tourers are achingly beautiful, just the perfect car for a leisurely drive through Europe. I need leg room and luggage space. Give me a 330 or even a Dino and I'll happy as a very happy thing.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ooh yeah - I love Jags. I use a 1999 S-Type as a daily driver. The XJ models from pretty much anywhere in the 1990s are cheap-as-chips these days and have proper hard-as-nails engines. I also have a weird amour for ridiculous old American yokes - the likes of the Cadillca DeVille, Dodge Charger, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Buick LeSabre, you get the idea. And I too hate the DeLorean - it looks like a biscuit tin. There's a Classic Cars forum over in the Motors section here, where you'll find plenty oily-fingernailed rivet-counters to wax cynical about all matters automotive. Drive on! :D

LINK: Classic Cars forum

Layinghen wrote: »
    ...Your road tax there should be somewhere between £400 and £500 I think. Compared with €1494 here :eek: but such are the joys of loving your car...
    Hmmm. Once a car is over 30 years old here in Ireland the vintage tax rate applies, which I believe is €58. I believe there's something similar in the UK?
    You and Mr Laying Hen would get on well. He is a fan of the XJS as well. Doesn't do it for me I am afraid - doesn't have the lovely Jag curves that I like...
    Yes, the jury is very much out even yet on the Flying Buttresses. Personally, the XJS has grown on me over the aeons! :D

• Advertisement

Yes but under 30 years and you pay through the nose on this side of the pond for being a petrol head:mad:

Yes but under 30 years and you pay through the nose on this side of the pond for being a petrol head:mad:

That's driven me nucken futs nearly all my life. For some reason, and unlike in every other civilized jurisdiction with which I am any way familiar, owning a decent car in Ireland results in a scourging the likes of which you'd hardly get if you went around beating people up. It must have something to do with the Famine, or John Charles McQuaid, or something. ;)

OldGoat wrote: »
    I know someone in The Wirrel who owns a Marcos Mantula. Is it true that it's low enough to drive under the toll barriers of the Mersey tunnels?

I searching (well, just flicking through ads for a few years) for a '61 S type as a long term project. It'll be another 10 years before I get round to consider actually buying one but the dream is there.

The Jag is a realistic dream, it WILL happen someday, but the Ferrari is and always will be my Dream car. The 275 is the most beautiful car ever made, bar none. The Ferrari sports cars and super cars get all the accalim but the Grand Tourers are achingly beautiful, just the perfect car for a leisurely drive through Europe. I need leg room and luggage space. Give me a 330 or even a Dino and I'll happy as a very happy thing.

First I have heard of the Marcos being able to go under the barriers, si I have no idea if it is true or not to be honest with you OG. But yes there are always the dreams. Never let go of those, as they give you something to aim for ... and keep you mildly insane rather than full blown wacko. :D

Always prefered the looks of the Maserati to the Ferrari. No that is not true it is a generalisation. (I liked the Dino too) Sadly for me I also liked the Testarossa whih many aficionados claim is one of the worst looking of the marque. But like I said originally I do have some odd tastes in cars. Nice to be a little different at times. :)
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Ooh yeah - I love Jags. I use a 1999 S-Type as a daily driver. The XJ models from pretty much anywhere in the 1990s are cheap-as-chips these days and have proper hard-as-nails engines. I also have a weird amour for ridiculous old American yokes - the likes of the Cadillca DeVille, Dodge Charger, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Buick LeSabre, you get the idea. And I too hate the DeLorean - it looks like a biscuit tin. There's a Classic Cars forum over in the Motors section here, where you'll find plenty oily-fingernailed rivet-counters to wax cynical about all matters automotive. Drive on! :D

LINK: Classic Cars forum

Thanks for the info on that forum jimgoose. :)
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Hmmm. Once a car is over 30 years old here in Ireland the vintage tax rate applies, which I believe is €58. I believe there's something similar in the UK?

Yes, the jury is very much out even yet on the Flying Buttresses. Personally, the XJS has grown on me over the aeons! :D

Unsure how the tax works over here to be honest I think the cut of date was 25 years when it was first started, but the date never changed and is probably nearer to 50 years now.

I used to get some stick over the XJS as I came out and said I liked it right from it's release. Now it seems to be getting more popular as folks see it in a new light. Bit too late really as it has been out of production for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Em.. Bit late replying Rube but another here into cars.. to the detriment of what really needs doing of course. Currently have a grey, orange, red, yellow and black:). I will admit that sounds much better than the visual reality with the added rust colour.
    The grey is my barometer on the state of my life in a way. It's a '78 lancia montecarlo for restoration but can't be started until it can be done properly.someday though.
    I don't even do many miles but enjoy the shows and club side of things like Layinghen says.
    If I had a windfall, a Gordon Keeble would close the book on cars for me.

Oh and both the orange and red would go under the toll barriers OG!

Em.. Bit late replying Rube but another here into cars.. to the detriment of what really needs doing of course. Currently have a grey, orange, red, yellow and black:). I will admit that sounds much better than the visual reality with the added rust colour.
    The grey is my barometer on the state of my life in a way. It's a '78 lancia montecarlo for restoration but can't be started until it can be done properly.someday though.
    I don't even do many miles but enjoy the shows and club side of things like Layinghen says.
    If I had a windfall, a Gordon Keeble would close the book on cars for me.

Oh and both the orange and red would go under the toll barriers OG!

Jenson-Healey by any chance?

Rubecula wrote: »
    Jenson-Healey by any chance?

Nothing as dignified I'am afraid,
    30 years younger and a bit further east, Norfolk, (but with a twist).
    Daft midlife crisis stuff, but you know the score.

Lotus?

Sounds like a Morgan to me

Lotus?
    Checkered flag is yours Layinghen, Elise variant.
    No wafting around in luxury here :pac: rattle rattle!
    Rubecula wrote: »
    Sounds like a Morgan to me
    I would love to have a Morgan Rubecula, cos then I could sell it and fix my sorry lot up!
    You mentioned liking the out of favour Testarossa earlier,well so do I, as it was the first supercar I ever seen. Came across one in a corner of a small local garage recently, here in the middle of nowhere. Chuffed I was.
    Do you ever visit the track there on Anglesea for any of the various club meets?

Well I take my hat off to you Pulsating Star you are certainly braver than me. You must be sick of the Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious (LOTUS) jokes :D

Driving a few inches off the ground in a deck chair takes guts. Gorgeous cars though.

By mad coincidence Mr Layinghen is due to tour Lotus in Norfolk in November as part of his birthday present from our nieces.

• Advertisement

I would love to have a Morgan Rubecula, cos then I could sell it and fix my sorry lot up!
    You mentioned liking the out of favour Testarossa earlier,well so do I, as it was the first supercar I ever seen. Came across one in a corner of a small local garage recently, here in the middle of nowhere. Chuffed I was.
    Do you ever visit the track there on Anglesea for any of the various club meets?

I always did have a strange liking for odd cars though, :D but there is something about the Testarossa that intrigues me, :cool: I dunno what it is. As for the track on Anglesey (Ty Croes, or Trac Mon or Rhosneigr Racetrack or whatever name you know it as) it is a popular place, if a trifle windy and exposed. :eek: I used to be there all the time for various meetings but sadly due to ill health I have not been there for a couple of years now. Maybe next year I can get back into the swing of things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PheilimC.TCL

I would love to own a Bugatti veron

Would love ----> would quite like ----> need to have - now!

The slippery slope.:o

Destination poverty, selfrecrimination , being thought a fool.
    I need a new t-shirt.

Advertisement