Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Browning A-Bolt, Dura Touch

Options
  • 23-11-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

my search for a new stalking rifle has brought me to the browning A-Bolt. the specific one is a black dura touch Composite Stock, Matt Stainless steel action and stainless fluted barrel in .243 which is factory threaded. It looks great and felt really good in my hands. I'm looking at buying a package off the dealer which includes Mounts, Zeiss Duralite Scope and new Atec Mod.

i guess I'm looking for opinions on the set up and particularly the rifle as i hadn't been considering american guns really. i have been offered a few used guns for similar money, the 2 im interested in are

1. Tikka M595 with S&B 3-12x50 Scope and a mod, owner is unsure how old the gun is but seems a genuine lad and is using the gun currently as his stalking rifle but is upgrading to a .308. gun looks to be well kept and clean

2. Sako 75 Hunter thats about 5 years old, id have to put a mod and scope onto this and then it would work out in the same price range. again looks like a good clean gun

Does anyone have the a-bolt or have any opinions on it? id love to hear your thoughts and comparisons compared to the European guns i mention above

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

aaakev wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

my search for a new stalking rifle has brought me to the browning A-Bolt. the specific one is a black dura touch Composite Stock, Matt Stainless steel action and stainless fluted barrel in .243 which is factory threaded. It looks great and felt really good in my hands. I'm looking at buying a package off the dealer which includes Mounts, Zeiss Duralite Scope and new Atec Mod.

i guess I'm looking for opinions on the set up and particularly the rifle as i hadn't been considering american guns really. i have been offered a few used guns for similar money, the 2 im interested in are

1. Tikka M595 with S&B 3-12x50 Scope and a mod, owner is unsure how old the gun is but seems a genuine lad and is using the gun currently as his stalking rifle but is upgrading to a .308. gun looks to be well kept and clean

2. Sako 75 Hunter thats about 5 years old, id have to put a mod and scope onto this and then it would work out in the same price range. again looks like a good clean gun

Does anyone have the a-bolt or have any opinions on it? id love to hear your thoughts and comparisons compared to the European guns i mention above

I have the Xbolt with the same stock and fluted barrel, love it so far.
    Its lightweight, accurate and looks great and it has a 4 shot mag as standard.

The stock feels much better with the rubbery feeling compared to the cheap plastic feel of other synthetic stocks.

I personally like the safety on the tang, it suits be better as a lefty and you can flick it on and off fast if need be.
    Theres also a button on the bolt which allows you to open it without taking off the safety off.
    I have the atec cmm4 on mine which keeps the weight down weighing in at only 200g

IMG_20151110_185506_zpsiokjlmow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I'm not seeing a downside to it tbh, how much did you pay for it if ya don't mind me asking?

I'm not seeing a downside to it tbh, how much did you pay for it if ya don't mind me asking?

I got it second hand with a night force scope that I sold shortly after. Think the xbolt is more expensive but cant see much difference between the two.

Don't think you'll regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I love the sako 75 rifles, would find it hard to turn one down. They're very nice indeed. No experience with the browning I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

I have an A-bolt in .308, It was my first rifle so don't have too much to compare to but I really like it, its quite light compared to other rifles I have tried. I have shown and let a few experienced stalkers have a go and they were all impressed so I have no complaints. I don't think you can go wrong

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    I love the sako 75 rifles, would find it hard to turn one down. They're very nice indeed. No experience with the browning I'm afraid

i do too which is whats making this decision hard!
    RKMG wrote: »
    I have an A-bolt in .308, It was my first rifle so don't have too much to compare to but I really like it, its quite light compared to other rifles I have tried. I have shown and let a few experienced stalkers have a go and they were all impressed so I have no complaints. I don't think you can go wrong

i dont think i would go wrong either, you happy with the stock? heard mixed reports about the dura touch coat coming off on shotguns.

decisions decisons......

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

I had 2 A bolts, .243 and .308. duratouch stock - but not stainless.
    I tought they were great guns, only traded for a change but regret not keeping the .243.

You wont go wrong with one, but the 75s are great guns also.

Nice problem to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

iv A-bolt in 243.Very happy with it.Atec mod ans z6i scope so its nice and light for stalking.Im a lefty also so the safety suits me.The trigger is slightly heavy but can be adjusted.Great value for money.

Update. Turned out it was actually the x bolt stainless stalker I'd been looking at which made my decision easier. deal done on a new stainless stalker with mounts, zeiss duralite and a tec mod! Happy man today, now the fun part begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Looks a nice rifle in this review, plenty accurate anyway. Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Update. Turned out it was actually the x bolt stainless stalker I'd been looking at which made my decision easier. deal done on a new stainless stalker with mounts, zeiss duralite and a tec mod! Happy man today, now the fun part begins!

You wont regret it.

Love mine. Swapped out the nightforce benchrest for a swaro hab 4-16x50.

Is it the atec maxim or cmm4?

garv123 wrote: »
    You wont regret it.

Love mine. Swapped out the nightforce benchrest for a swaro hab 4-16x50.

Is it the atec maxim or cmm4?

Yeah the more research I do the more I like it, can't wait to start dropping bamboo with it!

Think it's the cmm4

Yeah the more research I do the more I like it, can't wait to start dropping bamboo with it!

Think it's the cmm4

Have it myself, you wouldnt even notice it on the end of the rifle.

best of luck with it

Cheers mate can't wait for the license to come!

Paid for the rifle today so getting the application sorted over the next couple of days and hopefully get the deer application in by Tuesday.

What ammo you using in your brownine garv?

Paid for the rifle today so getting the application sorted over the next couple of days and hopefully get the deer application in by Tuesday.

What ammo you using in your brownine garv?

Using federal 100gr softpoints. Use it on deer and foxes and none have complained about them yet. John Lambert is nearly 7 euro cheaper than most others per box

Good stuff. Ya tried the ppu stuff?

Good stuff. Ya tried the ppu stuff?

I taught about it but When I was getting the federal 100gr for 27 a box and they worked so well I couldnt justify trying the PPU for the amount of shots ud fire at deer and foxes

Advertisement