Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dan Healy as head of 2fm - 2 years on

• 10-06-2015 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

2 years ago today, Dan Healy became head of 2fm. He has actually been very successful at his job by boosting income to the station by managing to get lots of new advertising and sponsorship deals as well as bringing in more premium rate text line Competitions. As a result 2fm is likely to make a profit this year, for the first time since 2008.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Breakfast republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

To be fair I use to be a Today Fm man but now find myself listening to 2fm more and more bar Breakfast republic. Nicky and Jenny can be good crack but Al Porter and Colm Hayes are good to listen to on the way home after a day of talking ****e in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Healy is essentially a sales man so its no surprise with his background that he's managed to convince advertisers to come on board. Montrose is hard to resist as far as advertisers are concerned especially if Healy has emphasised to them that 2FM will sooner or later turn the corner. So as a business model it seems to have succeeded, for the moment, but advertisers will want to see solid listenership growth to match their financial investment, but that part simply is not happening because as a radio station its core problems still havent been addressed, for that you need a programmer, Healy is not a programmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I honestly find 2fm very hard to listen to, its all over the place. Breckkie republic is just puke radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

mikom wrote: »
    Breakfast republic.

Dreadful rubbish. How is it still on? Repeating the same non funny rubbish every morning does not make it funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Breakfast Republic and that show with Colm Hayes are absolute sh*te. Listening to Colm and Al is like listening to two 5 year olds. Its utter rubbish. I don't know why they ever got rid of Wil Leahy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,364 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I didn't think much of breakfast Republic when it started but having listened to some of this week it's not that bad. I mean the three lads seem sound enough and are trying.

Colm Hayes and the other lad should be locked out of rte and not let back. Woeful ****e. Nicky and Jenny is good I have to say. Rick o Shea I like but don't get to listen to him much. I'd listen to Chris and ciara who are great for that time of the day, and would catch lottie Ryan's show some weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

heybaby wrote: »
    Healy is essentially a sales man so its no surprise with his background that he's managed to convince advertisers to come on board. Montrose is hard to resist as far as advertisers are concerned especially if Healy has emphasised to them that 2FM will sooner or later turn the corner. So as a business model it seems to have succeeded, for the moment, but advertisers will want to see solid listenership growth to match their financial investment, but that part simply is not happening because as a radio station its core problems still havent been addressed, for that you need a programmer, Healy is not a programmer.

But 2fm does have a programmer, Paul Russell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Breakfast Republic is vastly improved on what it was at the start. I thought it was better when the two lads were on their own without Jennifer (her voice is like someone scraping their nails across a blackboard).

Can't, can't, can't listen to Colm Hayes and Al Porter. How long before Colm stabs him in the back like he did with Jim Nugent??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Breakfast Republic is vastly improved on what it was at the start. I thought it was better when the two lads were on their own without Jennifer (her voice is like someone scraping their nails across a blackboard).

I'd agree that it works better with just the two lads. Jennifer isn't needed and doesn't have good comic timing which doesn't help when the show is trying to be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Its as bad as it was 2 years ago. No direction. The Breakfast show has bombed simple as. The station trying to sound modern but it still has to cater for the older listener with Tubridy and Colm Hayes filling that void and Rick O Shea also falling into that category. And then the megastar signing (who's a nice bloke by all accounts) from Westlife who was to bring them in by the thouands, doesn't really change the ratings but I've got to say himself and Jenny Green sound good and some edjit decides to put him on every Granny's favourite TV Show on a Saturday night??? It's like Nick Grimshaw been asked to present the National Lottery Show on the BBC, its a markerting disaster, it confuses the listener who's young and under 30 and the over 35 year old on Saturday night wonders who he is and what show on RTE Radio Lyric does he present?? Now would they be able for the Breakfast Slot? Why not give them a go!

Then we have the weekend, don't forget his famous quote that he had to destroy it to rebuild it. Well really all he did was move things around. I'm still waiting to hear the sweeping changes on my radio. The only change I made was removing it from my presets. Jenny Greene on a Saturday Night is the only thing that I would listen to now.

A quick reminder that the most listened to music radio show gets the chop, well actually the records show JC pulled it before it was pulled. Once again he's not replaced by a young attractive, 20k twitter follower type of presenter but alas Dave Fanning. I rest my case. Nothing has changed for the better only the perception that its changing for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

I wonder is he a contender for the big Job ? (RTE DG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

Healy has achieved the lowest listenership in 2fms history. That's what paying attention to focus groups does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

He radically changed the music policy and brought in unknown radio bodies and placed them on primetime radio shows. Of course listeners will tune out. He'll still be in that role in 3 years even if things dont improve !!.

If RTE Gold was relayed on 2FM frequencies, seriously it would get more listeners.

If RTE Gold was relayed on 2FM frequencies, seriously it would get more listeners.

Easiest solution would have been let 2FM age with its existing listeners and start a new rte youth station :D

Is he not doing what BBC Radio 1 did and UK's Kiss FM back in the late 90s?

They got rid of the old guard and replaced with the new.

What are people expecting from 2fm? I'm not in their target audience but I'll still tune in to hear some new music, a bit of chat etc.

It takes time for station to find its groove and I think it's turning into a decent youth orientated station Monday to Friday and Sat & Sun evenings and once the old guard at the weekends go, the congruity across the week will strengthen its positioning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Easiest solution would have been let 2FM age with its existing listeners and start a new rte youth station :D
    That's effectively what happened until Dan Healy stopped it.

I don't think the amount of people tuning out will matter if the goal is to increase the 15-34 audience, which the current playlist & sound seems to be attempting to do.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I still think getting rid of Rick O'Shea from the afternoon slot was the wrong decision. Every youth-oriented station needs DJs who are capable of meeting the needs of the 15-34 year olds even if they're that bit older, and there's no doubt that Rick matches that profile. Look at Steve K in Spin and Andy Mac on Beat, they're two of the older DJs in youth-oriented stations and they're probably two of the best.

Rick could have been that guy for 2FM, but they decided Tracey Clifford was a better fit. I have to admit, I liked her on Spin, but she's really not that great on her own, which is a shame because she seems like a nice woman.

Rick's show began to get stale...

I was a big fan but over the last few months of his tenure, I just found the whole thing very repetitive.

Cormac... Sir Quacksalot and his delivery style...

I don't think his style would appeal to some 15/24 year old.

Advertisement