Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breakfast Republic and Colm Hayes have to go

Options
  • 25-03-2015 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

It really is time to get these gobsh1tes off the air. The repetition in the morning is unbearable. The first mention of bernard's hamper was slightly less than mildly amusing. A year later it is quite simply boring. Jen's bits, mantalk, greed: boring repetitive tosh.
    As for Hayes, how can he keep talking about absolutely nothing for so long: a true politician in the making. Absolute rubbish from the pick of the tabloids or something from twitter about the size of kim kardashian's ar$e.
    I know I have a choice of channels and I do act upon it but some mornings I am getting the breakfast ready for the kids while I am getting annoyed with something, the realisation suddenly hits: its the gobsh1tes, (radio flicked back at 18:00 previous day when the angelus came on). When Hayes is on, I am probably in the car. Again he is just on, after a while you realise his drone is wrecking your head and have to change channel.
    Rant over but seriously, there have to be better presenters, better formats for our national broadcaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I don't love Breakfast Republic but I don't hate it either. But Colm Hayes and his brutal sidekick definitely need to go, it's absolute rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Just get into your car, turn on Today FM, break off the knob for changing station..................nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

I have a long commute most days and both shows are in that time frame.When I hear cock a doodle who I give serious consideration to crashing head on into a truck.As for Colm Hayes,flicked onto it yesterday and he was discussing with another grown man how much they love home and away!
    Utter tripe and need immediate replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Just get into your car, turn on Today FM, break off the knob for changing station..................nuff said.

Love to: digital radio, loads of buttons, pesky kids keep interfering.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

I used to think the Breakfast Republic was awful, but it has definitely improved - Keith and Jen are very good, but Bernard is a bit silly, his jokes are obvious etc. Not the worst thing I have ever heard, but I have to admit, I flick between that and Morning Ireland.

As for Colm Hayes, its beyond terrible. He is not at all funny, his show content is that of a teenage girl. That know your show quiz is the pits!! The banter with himself and Al Porter is awful too - the fact he needs a co host will tell you how dull and useless he is. He seems to cling on to Al's "humour" and runs with it. And also, he is quite vulgar sometimes - he used the term "get the ride" one evening - I promptly turned it over and haven't listened since.

Why Will Leahy was moved from drivetime is still a mystery to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

galljga1 wrote: »
    Love to: digital radio, loads of buttons, pesky kids keep interfering.

I think the solution is a hammer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

There's an interview with Colm Hayes and Al Porter in the latest issue of TV Now magazine. Hayes says he'd go back to breakfast radio as it's where he feels at home. Apparently himself and Al Porter are working together on ideas for a tv game show, a panel show and Colm has written and had 3 pilots recorded for a radio sitcom. Watch out Brendan O'Carroll!!

Red Fred wrote: »
    There's an interview with Colm Hayes and Al Porter in the latest issue of TV Now magazine. Hayes says he'd go back to breakfast radio as it's where he feels at home. Apparently himself and Al Porter are working together on ideas for a tv game show, a panel show and Colm has written and had 3 pilots recorded for a radio sitcom. Watch out Brendan O'Carroll!!

I think I am just getting old and intolerant of the amount of dros on TV and radio. I am pretty selective about what I watch on TV, mainly netflix, boxsets etc and of course, the news (I am getting old). I have a spotify and deezer subscription (spotify to be cancelled as I have just signed up for deezer) but I like the human element of radio, just cannot stand some of the idiot presenters.

Who do you guys listen to in the morning and commuting periods? What about later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Lads you're beating an old drum to death there, to move/scrap either shows would be a sign off failure for Dan Healy who's ego is apparently more important than what the general publics (licence payers) actually likes and finds entertaining.
    The breakfast show is the most immature drivel imaginable which is so bad that it stopped me watching republic of telly.
    In the morning I listen to KC on Red Fm on tunein radio and it's truly funny and actually cheers you up on the way to work.
    On the way home the choice or options are less apparent because of talk radio which I don't enjoy so I flick between Dave Macs drive on Red Fm or God help me, Driveby.
    I might last 20 minutes at a time or less until it gets so full of appalling oh matron innuendos and childish jokes and Al Porter promoting his next dying on stage date that I almost what to squeeze my phone until the battery explodes and melts my hand.
    I read a good tweet recently that the Colm Hayes show is really informative if you don't have twitter, Facebook, Instagram, the internet, television or 2 euro for a newspaper.
    He brings you "breaking news" that you heard at 7am, he reminds you daily that he's from Ballymun, he uncomfortably flirts with bored housewives and then tries to be controversial by hitting the bleep button every so often and 2fm keep throwing thousands at him to give away in competitions because there is no other draw.
    And it's me and people like me who don't like talk radio and that don't like streaming music services that ensures he keeps an audience in the JNLR's.
    There is slim pickings at that time slot on national radio and that's why they could put the most irritating individual in Ireland in that slot (oh wait they already did) so the second most irritating person in Ireland and they will still hover around the 100000 listener mark.
    The problem is Colm Hayes is there too long now and he's seen and attended too many of the Gerry Ryan parties with RTE execs so he's untouchable.
    I would love for Will Leahy to be brought back but that ain't gonna happen for reasons I've stated earlier so who I actually enjoy in the evening is Eoghan McDermott, he filled the driveby seat for a week or two and he was brilliant and he actually seems to not care who he upsets or what boat he rocks.
    Anyway it's wishful thinking and the egos in Montrose far outweigh popular opinion.

In the morning I listen to KC on Red Fm on tunein radio and it's truly funny and actually cheers you up on the way to work.

KC I really like but I find myself turning off his show all the time because of the guy on the show with him. Not EVERYTHING is hilariously funny!! Stop laughing at every single thing KC says!!! :mad: He is seriously bloody annoying and completely puts me off listening to his show. KC needs someone to bounce off of, not someone who acts like a teenage girl around her crush laughing at everything that comes out of his mouth. It's a shame for me because I'd listen to KC every morning without switching over if it wasn't for that eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I cannot stick Colm Hayes at all. Don't know how anyone could enjoy his show. Agree with what flangemeistro says, Eoghan McDermott would make a much better host in that slot. I usually listen to Dara Quilty on 98, but find him a wee bit of a dose sometimes so would consider changing over to 2fm if Eoghan was on.

I'd rather drill holes in my forehead then listen to Breakfast Republic. Was subjected to Bernard and Keith back in the i105107 days and Bernard is the unfunniest "comedian" I've ever come across. Jen Maguire is just as bad.

I cannot stick Colm Hayes at all. Don't know how anyone could enjoy his show. Agree with what flangemeistro says, Eoghan McDermott would make a much better host in that slot. I usually listen to Dara Quilty on 98, but find him a wee bit of a dose sometimes so would consider changing over to 2fm if Eoghan was on.

I'd rather drill holes in my forehead then listen to Breakfast Republic. Was subjected to Bernard and Keith back in the i105107 days and Bernard is the unfunniest "comedian" I've ever come across. Jen Maguire is just as bad.

Yes, how bernard is regarded as a comedian is beyond me. The ratings are dropping in both slots. If it is not a wake up call to Mr Healy that things must change in these slots, that should be a wake up call to Mr Jennings that things need to change in the management of 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Ah the breakfast republic isn't that bad, definitely better than it was. It's actually better now that Jennifer has gone on maternity leave, 6 months hopefully!

The show has tightened up quite a bit. I feel sorry for Keith as he comes across as if he knows what he is doing and seems to be trying to reign in the other two. On one hand he has Bernard who thinks everything he says is hilarious. And then you have Jennifer who comes across as a total fame wannabee, famous for nothing at all (like most of them).

The greed game is quite fun, but a little too difficult to hear some mornings. I have heard the show when Keith is on solo, before 7 I think? That is good radio.

As for Colm Hayes (and Al Porter it seems is a permanent fixture). They are quite simply the unfunniest pair of spanners I have ever listened to, And he is no more from Ballymun. He has the poshest accent when not on radio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nokia 2630

Ah the breakfast republic isn't that bad, definitely better than it was. It's actually better now that Jennifer has gone on maternity leave, 6 months hopefully!

The show has tightened up quite a bit. I feel sorry for Keith as he comes across as if he knows what he is doing and seems to be trying to reign in the other two. On one hand he has Bernard who thinks everything he says is hilarious. And then you have Jennifer who comes across as a total fame wannabee, famous for nothing at all (like most of them).

The greed game is quite fun, but a little too difficult to hear some mornings. I have heard the show when Keith is on solo, before 7 I think? That is good radio.

As for Colm Hayes (and Al Porter it seems is a permanent fixture). They are quite simply the unfunniest pair of spanners I have ever listened to, And he is no more from Ballymun. He has the poshest accent when not on radio!

If Colm Hayes is so bad, why did John Clarke sign him for 210k in november 2006 ?

So you're actually going to refer to 9 years ago? You know what else was good 9 years ago, MySpace and minidiscs. Weak.
    Anyway by any chance did anyone catch a snippet of yesterday's driveby?
    I had it on in the car for 15 minutes and surprise surprise there giving away €2000 and Al is telling people how there's only a handful of tickets left for his Vicar street gig, so when you say handful you mean dozens and when you say dozens you mean hundreds, they are as predictable as they are embarrassing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Minidisc was very obsolete (outside radio) 9 years ago. First hard drive mp3 players were 15+ years ago!

The amount of money he was paid means nothing. There are plenty of people that are paid way too much money, it doesn't reflect their talent.

I'd like to see Eoghan McDermott get a full time slot on radio, I can see it happening soon enough too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nokia 2630

GenGenie wrote: »
    Why Will Leahy was moved from drivetime is still a mystery to me...

Despite Will Leahy having lots of housewives sticking up for him, his ratings were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Nokia 2630 wrote: »
    If Colm Hayes is so bad, why did John Clarke sign him for 210k in november 2006 ?

Is that you Colm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Nokia 2630 wrote: »

Why indeed?? You should ask John Clarke I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I thought Will leahy was moved because they wanted his show to be broadcast from Dublin at the weekends. Though isnt he broadcasting from Limerick now again?

I thought Will leahy was moved because they wanted his show to be broadcast from Dublin at the weekends. Though isnt he broadcasting from Limerick now again?

That's is the spin Dan Healy put on it. Because a few weeks previous to the launch he was interviewed and said he had no intentions of getting rid of Hector or Will so when it came to it he used the excuse that he wanted all the shows centrally run from Dublin and Hector and Will wouldn't move their shows so that's why he did what he did. Very weak and I doubt anyone swallowed it.
    Had driveby on for 5 minutes yesterday and guess what, they were giving away more money.
    Also when listening to Will Leahy Sunday he gave up around 3 minutes of his show to air a Promo for breakfast republic and oh my God it was atrocious, Bernard was singing some soccer fan chant about having one player in all the positions and no matter how much I enjoy Wills show I had to turn the dial.
    That's the third or fourth time I've noticed Will being used as Breakfast republics bugle and it ain't doing his show any favours. Christ it infuriates me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just heard a Breakfast Republic promo where they're using a "competition" of idiotic, attempted comedic value that Bernard and Keith did exactly the same on iRadio half a decade ago.

I sincerely hope they're not being paid for their 'creative ideas'!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm surprised by this thread.

I've become a fairly big fan of Breakfast Republic.

I actually like 2FM's whole morning/early afternoon lineup (Breakfast Republic, Tubridy, Nicky Byrne)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What people are forgetting is that Will leahy is a full time solicitor. It was probably more to do with the fact he couldn't do two jobs at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 UCDTheia

I had it on in the car for 15 minutes and surprise surprise there giving away €2000 and Al is telling people how there's only a handful of tickets left for his Vicar street gig, so when you say handful you mean dozens and when you say dozens you mean hundreds, they are as predictable as they are embarrassing.

Totally agree. Can't stand Breakfast Republic or Driveby. 'Giveaway' after 'giveaway' to keep people listening.... just to say though, I saw Al gig in UCD and wasnt my cup of tea. but my mate works in vicar st and he did sell out his three nights..god ****in knows how but Im 22 aswell and if I could do that I'd be laughin!

Nicky Byrne is absolute drivel. Eoghan McDermott I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Why don't they just stick a regular DJ onto breakfast radio and have them play music and present the show in a normal fashion. No zaniness, no sketches, no attempts at being funny, no competitions. Or is that too radical in this day and age?

I really liked Eoghan McDermott last week on the breakfast show, give that boy a full time slot 2FM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Why don't they just stick a regular DJ onto breakfast radio and have them play music and present the show in a normal fashion. No zaniness, no sketches, no attempts at being funny, no competitions. Or is that too radical in this day and age?

I do think that myself but I guess it's meant to be ininteractive and get people involved, so if there's no hook it's easier to turn off, competitions usually come through sponsorship so they make money too, all an evil necnecessary... Although if it was something as basic as you suggest it wouldnt need much money

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Because Irish radio is stuck doing 80s stuff from the USA.

Morning zoo wackiness, fake phone calls, celeb goss, giveaways and terrible prerecorded "comedy" bits with funny voices abound!

I don't understand how anyone could even begin to enjoy this garbage.

Advertisement