Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should RTE Gold replace RnaG on FM ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Infoanon wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Ray Burke - your thinking of when RTE 2FM was threatened with becoming an educational channel - a move that would benefit Century 100 - now that is another story!

According to Reeling in the Years it was the cut in advertising mins and the cap on advert revenue. Was it only 2fm on strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

By the way, you do know that Century Radio ceased broadcasting in November 1991 and the 2FM strike was in 1992. I remember thinking at the time that if the strike happened when Century was still there it might have won a new audience. If memory serves me right, 98FM was tuned into a bit more for the news at the time!

Anyway, this seems to have gone a million miles away from the original topic. I would reiterate a point I made before. Could the airwaves not be shared between RTE Gold and RnaG, in order to facilitate both on FM?

Anyway, this seems to have gone a million miles away from the original topic. I would reiterate a point I made before. Could the airwaves not be shared between RTE Gold and RnaG, in order to facilitate both on FM?

RTÉ Gold could start at 7pm and run to 7am with bulletins as geailge. If advertising was to go on the channel the indos would be in uproar.

The move would also have to go to the Minister for approval. RTÉjr's move from RTÉ2 took more than a year for a decision not to be made by pat rabbiitte and for RTÉ to withdraw the plans from Alex White.

Political and beaurocractic nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Elmo wrote: »
    According to Reeling in the Years it was the cut in advertising mins and the cap on advert revenue. Was it only 2fm on strike?

That may have caused the problems for RTE regarding shortage of cash but IIRC the immediate cause was RTE trying to reduce manning levels on camera crews

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If advertising was to go on the channel the indos would be in uproar.

feck them. let these low rent rags spread their rabel. as long as RTE doesn't give in and ignore them thats all that matters.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

feck them. let these low rent rags spread their rabel. as long as RTE doesn't give in and ignore them thats all that matters.

Grand now all RTÉ need to do is put in a proposal for the change. Followed by Ministerial Approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Indirectly that was the cause of the strike as it caused a cash flow issue in Montrose. In the main it was proposals to cut down on staff both by way of modernising behind the scenes and as a consequence of the feared and proposed 20% quota for independent programming that led to the strike. In the long run the 20% was the possibly the best thing to have happened RTE as it led to an influx of new talented broadcasters who made fresh, innovative and excellent programmes.

Indirectly that was the cause of the strike as it caused a cash flow issue in Montrose. In the main it was proposals to cut down on staff both by way of modernising behind the scenes and as a consequence of the feared and proposed 20% quota for independent programming that led to the strike. In the long run the 20% was the possibly the best thing to have happened RTE as it led to an influx of new talented broadcasters who made fresh, innovative and excellent programmes.

Large majority of whom where ex RTÉ staffers.

Advertisement