Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE6 & PNGs

Options
  • 14-06-2009 7:22pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any chance somebody with good experience in dealing with PNGs and IE6 could send me a PM? I cant post the website URL publicly. Having trouble tackling some issues in IE6 with a new website, would appreciate someones advise. (Have applied the fix, but its not really working in this case)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

PM on the way.
    I worked around the problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any other suggestions welcome. Sadly, IE6 is still being a pain in the side with this project. Its specifically with how its treating with PNGs and we have tried two IE6 PNG fixes (one which has worked before for us) so far and no go. Converting to GIF isnt the best option either.

Baffled to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

if you are using jquery or some other library I've found that the javascript png fix i've used before went awry somewhere - I never narrowed it down. are you using other js libraries?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

00sully wrote: »
    if you are using jquery or some other library I've found that the javascript png fix i've used before went awry somewhere - I never narrowed it down. are you using other js libraries?

Nope, nothing like that im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

IE6 & PNGs make kevin want to cry.

Email me the URL and I'll try take a look for you. I've spent hours beating the crap out of IE6. It's usually not too hard to track down the problem, but fixing it's usually a bastard.

• Advertisement

One step closer to the solution of the problem :)

1) Extract the attachement to the root of your site,

2) Open the file containing your header template and replace
    <!--[if lte IE 6]>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="supersleight.js"></script>
     <style type="text/css">
     #footnormal{display:none;}
     #footIE6, #IE6{display: block;}
     #mmidbg{position: relative; top: -210px; z-index: -1; min-height: 462px;}
     #ibanner{border: 0;}
     </style>
     <![endif]-->

with
    <!--[if lte IE 6]>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="iepngfix_tilebg.js"></script>
     <style type="text/css">
    img, div { behavior: url(iepngfix.htc) !important; }
     #footnormal{display:none !important;}
     #footIE6, #IE6{display: block !important;}
     </style>
     <![endif]-->

This will fix the PNG images for IE6. :D

iepngfix.zip

Hoku wrote: »
    One step closer to the solution of the problem :)

1) Extract the attachement to the root of your site,

2) Open the file containing your header template and replace
    <!--[if lte IE 6]>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="supersleight.js"></script>
     <style type="text/css">
     #footnormal{display:none;}
     #footIE6, #IE6{display: block;}
     #mmidbg{position: relative; top: -210px; z-index: -1; min-height: 462px;}
     #ibanner{border: 0;}
     </style>
     <![endif]-->

with
    <!--[if lte IE 6]>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="iepngfix_tilebg.js"></script>
     <style type="text/css">
    img, div { behavior: url(iepngfix.htc) !important; }
     #footnormal{display:none !important;}
     #footIE6, #IE6{display: block !important;}
     </style>
     <![endif]-->

This will fix the PNG images for IE6. :D

iepngfix.zip

Sadly, that didn't fix our problem :/ Only a slight change to the background, not addressing the PNG issues fully.

p: PM sent.

That's strange... Maybe it's because I was running a local test in a windows environment, so the relative dir's got parsed slightly differently. :S

What exactly appears when you apply that fix? Maybe check that the .htc file is addressing the correct location for the blank.gif. Because when I followed the instructions which went with this initially, the script didn't work and I sent you the modified version.

That's strange... Maybe it's because I was running a local test in a windows environment, so the relative dir's got parsed slightly differently. :S

What exactly appears when you apply that fix? Maybe check that the .htc file is addressing the correct location for the blank.gif. Because when I followed the instructions which went with this initially, the script didn't work and I sent you the modified version.

The only difference was part of the red background appeared, that was not there before, but there was still a signifcant amount of "black space" below the photograph. The PNGs on the other page were still fecked.

Check the link again, should be there as you suggested.

Any other suggestions? Very odd, loads of takers look at it but sadly no fix. Strange issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

maybe it's time to consider an ie6 stylesheet, you can't force browsers to all render the same, unless you limit your design

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    maybe it's time to consider an ie6 stylesheet, you can't force browsers to all render the same, unless you limit your design

Tried and failed. Its partly an issue with PNGs and also IE refusing to listen to how we want something to appear. I think the only option is to remove the PNGs causing issue and replace with something else for IE, and try tidy up the layout issue as best as we can. Its the only browser causing problems and nothing we have tried (including lads sending me PMs here with advise) will fix it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

yeah what I meant is use an ie6 stylesheet to call up different images or none at all rather than try to implement the pngs.

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    yeah what I meant is use an ie6 stylesheet to call up different images or none at all rather than try to implement the pngs.

Oh right. Yup, thats the plan alright as of tonight. Just a tad annoyed that the layout issue cant be properly addressed. Sooner IE6 becomes a distant memory the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

could be a png issue in conjunction with css? have you tried this new version of the png fix?

http://ajaxian.com/archives/iepngfix-2-now-supports-css-background-position-and-repeat

The code I suggested earlier implements IEPNGfix 2.0 and apparently it didn't work...
    I tried applying the fix locally and opening it up in IE6 in VirtualPC, and it seemed to work there..

The code I suggested earlier implements IEPNGfix 2.0 and apparently it didn't work...
    I tried applying the fix locally and opening it up in IE6 in VirtualPC, and it seemed to work there..

Everyone tells me "The fix works" but thats on something they created themselves, rather then the project I am speaking about itself. I know the PNG Fix is supposed to work, as it has done on other projects we did, but for some reason it just refuses to work on this one.

What we have done is just have a different set of images for IE6 and accept a slightly different layout. Received lots of help and suggestions but sadly none fix the issue :/

The thing is that I used wget on your homepage, which downloaded the HTML and the graphics so all the code was preserved. I applied the Fix, and booted into a virtual Windows XP to use IE6. Opened up the page and everything rendered fine the second time around (I pointed to an inexistent blank.gif the first time).

Advertisement