Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Road Bike for Commuting (€600 - €800)

• 19-02-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Looking to invest in a road bike for my work commute, about 20km each way. I've been using a Trek 7.3FX for the last while but am looking to upgrade/treat myself.

I'll be getting it on the Bike to Work scheme, but am in the lower tax bracket so won't make huge savings as far as I know. Looking to spend up to €800 before taking the tax savings into account.

I'd been looking at this, but it's now out of stock. Seems like a good price for what you get?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Similarly priced and spec'd would be the Cube Peloton, or if you were prepared to go to the top end of your budget the Peloton Pro is available with a better groupset. Lots of Cube fans round these parts, including me...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Thanks for the advice, have heard Cube mentioned round these parts before!

This seems too good to be true - http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2049/cube-peloton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Thanks for the advice, have heard Cube mentioned round these parts before!

This seems too good to be true - http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2049/cube-peloton

I'm no expert but isn't sora near the bottom of the Shimano range? I would have thought the 650 was about right price wise, nice bike though

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Last year I went from a Trek 7.3Fx (my original btw) to a Trek 1.1 which is a great starter road bike.
    This year my BTW came up again and I got me a lovely CUBE Peleton for €999 before the tax discount.
    The difference is huge , If you can afford it go for the CUBE

meisce wrote: »
    Last year I went from a Trek 7.3Fx (my original btw) to a Trek 1.1 which is a great starter road bike.
    This year my BTW came up again and I got me a lovely CUBE Peleton for €999 before the tax discount.
    The difference is huge , If you can afford it go for the CUBE

I'm assuming it was a higher spec than the one I posted above for that price?

• Advertisement

The one you posted is the 2014 model
    I bought the 2015 model which has had a few upgrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Whatever you end up getting check if it can take mudguards. For commuting in winter on salted roads they will save your drive train from rusting away.

Also, they save a lot of time and hassle with regards to cleaning the bike in general (especially brake callipers).

The one you posted is the 2014 model
    I bought the 2015 model which has had a few upgrades.

I still use my 7.3 FX for knocking about with the kids

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Whatever you end up getting check if it can take mudguards. For commuting in winter on salted roads they will save your drive train from rusting away.

Also, they save a lot of time and hassle with regards to cleaning the bike in general (especially brake callipers).

Will definitely be getting mudguards. Went without for a while when my back one broke, was covered in sh*te more often than not upon my arrival into work!

This one must be yours Meisce - http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/1558/cube-peloton#description-tab-tab

Might take the plunge and go for it. Out of stock with Fitz at the moment though.

Advertisement