Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny loop suggestions

Options
  • 20-02-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭

I'm down in Kilkenny this weekend, need to get my ride in. About 70-80km should do it - what direction should I head in from the city? Anyone got a nice loop they do?

Flatlands preferred, but open to a climb or two if necessary. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm down in Kilkenny this weekend, need to get my ride in. About 70-80km should do it - what direction should I head in from the city? Anyone got a nice loop they do?

Flatlands preferred, but open to a climb or two if necessary. Thanks in advance!
    I will possibly be going tomorrow morning for a spin. Would you like to join me and I will show you a few nice roads around ?

Otherwise I can send you a map with a route :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Seweryn wrote: »
    I will possibly be going tomorrow morning for a spin. Would you like to join me and I will show you a few nice roads around ?

Otherwise I can send you a map with a route :).

That'd be great! Though I'm not sure what time I'm heading out at, depends on a couple of variables - could be late afternoon.

buffalo wrote: »
    That'd be great! Though I'm not sure what time I'm heading out at, depends on a couple of variables - could be late afternoon.
    OK, let me know later, and if it is not suitable for you, I will be happy to send you some directions for a route or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I've got this one in mind sometime if it's any use to you?

https://www.strava.com/routes/867442

I've got this one in mind sometime if it's any use to you?

https://www.strava.com/routes/867442
    Nice one, however I would take the Sion Road between Kilkenny and Bennetsbridge instead of the R700 (on the other side of the river), at least one way. Nicer, much quieter road to the R700.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Kilkenny, Gowran, Goresbridge, Borris, Graiguenamanagh, Thomastown, Knocktopher, Kells, Kilkenny. About 85 km with one climb (but might be into a headwind for middle part tomorrow)
    Or Kilkenny, Bennetsbridge, Thomastown, Knocktopher, Dunnamaggin, Callan, Kilmanagh, Tullaroan, and nice wind assisted descent back into Kilkenny. About 70-75 k.
    Heading south along old Waterford road initially, or along old Carlow road gives the benefits of new motorway reducing traffic on these, and nice wide roads, then laterally onto nicer regional roads. Heading out north towards Castlecomer / Ballyraggett or Freshford means busier roads with little hard shoulder, but easier to configure a route with tailwind home tomorrow.
    Or you could do the tour de Kilkenny 70km route - see marblecitycyclers.com for the route (with Seweryns suggested variation of reaching Bennetsbridge via the Sion road, ie head out the (old) Carlow road, but take the first right, shortly after roundabout- not signposted- but takes you straight to Bennetsbridge, where you turn left for Gowran etc).
    Either way, enjoy the Kilkenny countryside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If I was going out tomorrow I'd be doing, KK, Castlecomer, Ballyraggett, Durrow, Johnstown, Freshford and home.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Kilkenny - Bennettsbridge - Gowran - Goresbridge - Graiguenamanagh - Inistioge - Thomastown - Stoneyford - Kells - Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cheers for the responses all, I had a lovely late morning heading into Tipp, and back via Tullaroan and then the fast road from Freshford. The Nore was smaller than expected!

Advertisement