Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: 50mm Carbon clincher rim

Options
  • 04-09-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

A massive long shot here.. but before I go with a Chinese website, just wondering if someone might have one lying around from an abandoned project etc..
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Marq-dublin

I have a 35 mm tubular rim 25m width that was for a project that is new unused in the bubble wrap if interested?

100 euro

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

A guy I know , bought Chinese carbon clinchers a few months ago, he went down a very long steep decent last weekend, the front wheel at the brake pad area broke up from what I presume was from over heating the rim. He was lucky, only the wheel was broken!
    Not worth the risk, tubs are different I'd say, correct me if I'm wrong, as the tyre is above the braking surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

jntsnk wrote: »
    A guy I know , bought Chinese carbon clinchers a few months ago, he went down a very long steep decent last weekend, the front wheel at the brake pad area broke up from what I presume was from over heating the rim. He was lucky, only the wheel was broken!
    Not worth the risk, tubs are different I'd say, correct me if I'm wrong, as the tyre is above the braking surface.

A guy I know. .. Mr cousins brothers sisters friends blah blah.

These stories always crop up when carbon is mentioned.

How would a tub be any different if the wheel broke on your mates bikes.

High quality branded carbon rims can fail due to over heating also is not specific to Chinese carbon.

Anyone I know with carbon wheels tends to use them on flatter surfaces and have a separate set for steep climbing descending.

Yes your mate was lucky but the same result could've happened on any wheel. Maybe he's a ape on the breaks.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    A guy I know. .. Mr cousins brothers sisters friends blah blah.

These stories always crop up when carbon is mentioned.

How would a tub be any different if the wheel broke on your mates bikes.

High quality branded carbon rims can fail due to over heating also is not specific to Chinese carbon.

Anyone I know with carbon wheels tends to use them on flatter surfaces and have a separate set for steep climbing descending.

Yes your mate was lucky but the same result could've happened on any wheel. Maybe he's a ape on the breaks.

Chinese quality is not reliable with frames , handlebars, wheels etc I'm sure they are people saying they swear by them.
    Clinchers by there nature are more susceptible to blow outs descending.

So Mr cousin brothers sister friend blah blah I wasn't going to be more specific with the guy I know by actual name. I cycle with him very often.
    Chinese give a great warranty don't they !!! 😆

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/are-carbon-fiber-clinchers-safe-34521/

So now its all clinchers are dangerous as opppsed to your original post.

Stereotypical as they come mate. Jog on.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    So now its all clinchers are dangerous as opppsed to your original post.

Stereotypical as they come mate. Jog on.

Imagine Chinese ones then. Take care, be sure to book yourself into an anger management course over the winter you have issues with your insults.

Hmm and there I was thinking I was being quite relaxed in my reply. You wouldn't like me angry so flower ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Well this is awkward....

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Thanks marq-dublin but specifically looking for 50mm clincher..

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

OP asked did anyone have a rim not for a discussion about rims . You either have a rim or you don't. If you don't , then refrain from spoiing the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I don't think jntsnk spoiled the thread. He offered as advice on a discussion forum for people to heed or ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

This is the adverts forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Marq-dublin

@ Fender76 no worries

letape wrote: »
    I don't think jntsnk spoiled the thread. He offered as advice on a discussion forum for people to heed or ignore.

Advice which has been done to death @letape we're all grown ups here I assume the op can come to his own decision.

Sorry for derailing op. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

i love an auld skirmish about plastic...
    livens up the day

Advertisement