Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Lennon has confirmed there has been a bid for Forster. Looks like Newcastle aren't keen to do business though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/9520475.stm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anyone read Kevin Myers in the Indo today?

Sounds like someone has kidnapped him and replaced him with a Celtic fan!

Nothing to do with Celtic. Fair play to him, he's spot on in what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

PauloMN wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Celtic. Fair play to him, he's spot on in what he says.

Rubbish he can't say that about the club or all its fans I have put a complaint in about him as he talks garbage

I can't say I know a thing about Kevin Myers but that article is away over the top. You just cant make statements like "Glasgow Rangers is the sporting icon for loyalist bigots". I'm a Celtic fan but I don't think that article is fair on Rangers. There is a lot of mention of history and the like. If this is actually someone's opinion then I think its best kept to themselves as its to absolutely nobody's benefit to suggest it publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That would be Spiers he was a bear but you wouldn't know it with some of the tripe he writes

He claims he was, but when he is challenged by Bears about some of the games he supposedly attended he never gets it right.

I don't believe for a second he's a Rangers fan.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    He claims he was, but when he is challenged by Bears about some of the games he supposedly attended he never gets it right.

I don't believe for a second he's a Rangers fan.

Seen him at many games over the years and not in a working capacity and a few folk that no him say he is. Worse luck could do without him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

He is not he is perceived as being anti rangers

Don't really see how Speirs is anti Rangers, i know he had a go at Rangers over their singing last year but that was deserved and also showed a lot of bottle by Speirs to report on an issue the rest of the Scottish media were brushing under the carpet.

He's not very popular with Celts either especially after some of the comments he made about the attack on Lennon at Hearts and in general about the abuse, threats received by Lennon.

I think the guy is just a troll reporter who usually just tries to be controversial, not sure he's anti anyone. A bit like Kevin Myers in the article posted earlier i reckon.

These kind of reporters are not even worth talking about. Roll on some transfer news to give us something more interesting to discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

You just cant make statements like "Glasgow Rangers is the sporting icon for loyalist bigots".

Not meaning to offend decent bears like BBE and his clan, but that statement is true.

Not meaning to offend decent bears like BBE and his clan, but that statement is true.

If you take it down to that level Bobby you may be right but I am certain there would be uproar if a journalist wrote that"Glasgow Celtic are a bastion for PIRA and dissident thugs" which at the level you speak of would also be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Lennon has confirmed there has been a bid for Forster. Looks like Newcastle aren't keen to do business though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/9520475.stm

Really hope we get Forster,I think he's a solid keeper. Wouldn't really be in favour of getting someone expensive like Given. Although Given is a fantastic keeper, I don't think it's worth paying him 30k a week when most the time he won't have a lot to do during a game in the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Rubbish he can't say that about the club or all its fans I have put a complaint in about him as he talks garbage

You'll probably get him a raise BBE, the only reason he wrote that article was to provoke a reaction like that and he has succeeded, for a guy who proclaims himself as an intellect and a professional he is more or less lowering himself to the level of a tabloid hack, he may use bigger words and more fancy language but at the end of the day its just sensationalist journalism for the sake of it, and dont be suprised if in 6 months time he has a similar piece denouncing Celtic FC and all its supporters.

Myers, Dunphy, Hook, Browne et al are all quite happy to make fools out of themselves for the right price and the more people that take the bait the more dosh they get, ignore them, rise above it as the saying goes 'paper never refused ink'

You'll probably get him a raise BBE, the only reason he wrote that article was to provoke a reaction like that and he has succeeded, for a guy who proclaims himself as an intellect and a professional he is more or less lowering himself to the level of a tabloid hack, he may use bigger words and more fancy language but at the end of the day its just sensationalist journalism for the sake of it, and dont be suprised if in 6 months time he has a similar piece denouncing Celtic FC and all its supporters.

Myers, Dunphy, Hook, Browne et al are all quite happy to make fools out of themselves for the right price and the more people that take the bait the more dosh they get, ignore them, rise above it as the saying goes 'paper never refused ink'

That is probably very true but I felt I had to make a point I have myself on here pointed to the moronic element in our support but to come away that tripe was disgusting and lazy journalism

If you take it down to that level Bobby you may be right but I am certain there would be uproar if a journalist wrote that"Glasgow Celtic are a bastion for PIRA and dissident thugs" which at the level you speak of would also be true

But they do, they say that all the time in the papers mate!

But they do, they say that all the time in the papers mate!

You must be reading different papers to me Bobby I have seen journalists saying that certain supporters of the club sing songs that are offensive but never laying the blame on the whole club which is what Myers were doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Whats the craic with Martin Bains departure !!

Whats the craic with Martin Bains departure !!

No offence mate but this should be in the Rangers thread :p

No offence mate but this should be in the Rangers thread :p

No offence taken but I can't bring myself to access that thread.

Well that says more about you than anything else

• Advertisement

Well that says more about you than anything else

End of the day its up to me what threads I go on with limited time on here I have to be selective with what I read but thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

He's right though, anything about them (including the other Myers bit) should be filed under "T", for The Rangers. :)

I doubt anyone on here gives a fiddlers fcuk about Bain tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

So anyone heading over to the friendly at Nottingham Forest on the 19th July??? Should be a good wee day out.

Izzy staying put according to this - hopefully it's true:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2011/06/27/celtic-ace-emilio-izaguirre-tells-parkhead-faithful-i-m-going-nowhere-86908-23229853/
    EMILIO Izaguirre last night handed Celtic the perfect "I'm staying" pre-season boost.
    Scotland's double Player of the Year last season has been the subject of much speculation this summer after his devastating first campaign in the SPL.
    Izaguirre has attracted interest from England's top outfits with Manchester United and Liverpool eyeing his sparkling progress.
    But the Honduran is adamant he has no intentions of going anywhere and has set his sights only on improving on his fine debut campaign in the Hoops, which brought him personal accolades as well as a Scottish Cup winner's medal.
    Izaguirre is fully committed to Celtic and insists a move away from Glasgow is no option at this stage of his career.

Before leaving his homeland at the weekend, the left-back's adviser and former international Marco Tulio Suazo confirmed the player's plans as he bids him a temporary farewell.
    Suazo said: "I can tell all the fans of the club that Emilio has the sole mission of not lowering the level that made him the best foreigner in the Scottish Premier League.
    "Emilio has the plan of fulfilling the contract that still binds him to Celtic as an alleged sale to England, at this moment in time, is not a reality."
    Celtic supporters will be thrilled with the news as attack-minded Izaguirre has developed into one of the club's key performers since arriving in Glasgow's east end.
    Manager Neil Lennon recommended improved deals to the board for the Central American and midfielder Beram Kayal and hopes these plans will be pushed through this week.
    He said: "Financially, I'm sure there are Premier League clubs who can offer them more money.
    "But at this stage of their careers, I don't think money is important.
    "Football is what is important and we can give them first-team football and, hopefully, European football until the end of the year.
    "There is also the opportunity to win domestic trophies and keep improving because they are still young men.
    "I do feel they really have the supporters on their side and they would struggle to get that at many other clubs."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_7007924,00.html?

Wanyama agreed personal terms according to Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Looks like the move for Jay Bothroyd is off. According to media reports in Scotland Bothroyd's wage demands are too high. It seems players can earn more money now in the Championship than the SPL and despite a guarantee of European football with the top 2 in Glasgow players would prefer more wages in the Championship.

I have to laugh when I go on forums and see people on about Keane and Bellamy going to Celtic Park,FFS if we can't afford Jay Bothroyd we have no hope of getting premiership players!

Its a sad state of affairs indeed that the top two in Scotland are even losing out to Championship clubs. I seen Neil Danns been interviewed today on SSN and him talking about why he joined Leicester so he could realise his dream of playing in the Premier League. I don't really buy it though. IF Leicester do get promoted where are they ever gonna be at best, a mid table PL side if they do well. European football, big home crowds with atmosphere, trophies and world recognised clubs unfortunately can't compete with money at the end of the day.

Its a sad state of affairs indeed that the top two in Scotland are even losing out to Championship clubs. I seen Neil Danns been interviewed today on SSN and him talking about why he joined Leicester so he could realise his dream of playing in the Premier League. I don't really buy it though. IF Leicester do get promoted where are they ever gonna be at best, a mid table PL side if they do well. European football, big home crowds with atmosphere, trophies and world recognised clubs unfortunately can't compete with money at the end of the day.
    I see the Danns interview and personally I thought that was a load of crap! The Championship is one of the hardest leagues to get promoted out of and there's no guarantee Leicester will be promoted.

Conway rejected Rangers to go the Championship and it seems Goodwillie will do the same despite declaring his love for Rangers near the end of season! At the end of the day the majority of players will go for the higher wages in the championship rather than the chance of playing with Scotland's best 2 and competing in Europe's premier tournaments.

Personally I reckon we can forget about signing premiership players but I'm sure we can sign a player or 2 from the championship,surely not all of them are on the high wages that Cardiff are dishing out! Lennon made some brilliant buys overseas last season and I've every faith he can find another bargain overseas again.

Anyone who thinks that Celtic can't compete with Championship clubs for wages paid to players is deluded. Celtic have a wage bill higher than a good few EPL teams and higher than nearly all Championship teams, if not all of them.

Celtic can afford to pay multiple what Rangers can at the moment.

For the right "marque" type player wages at Celtic would anywhere between 35-45k per week.

We can easily afford 25k a week as well. However, the mad wages that some players are getting don't mean that we can't pay them, but we won't pay them.

Anyone who thinks that Celtic can't compete with Championship clubs for wages paid to players is deluded. Celtic have a wage bill higher than a good few EPL teams and higher than nearly all Championship teams, if not all of them.

Celtic can afford to pay multiple what Rangers can at the moment.

For the right "marque" type player wages at Celtic would anywhere between 35-45k per week.

We can easily afford 25k a week as well. However, the mad wages that some players are getting don't mean that we can't pay them, but we won't pay them.
    Fair enough Bobby but the colossal wages been paid out in England has given players a view that they can ask for what they want and in most cases in England they get what they demand. Celtic should only pay what the player is worth. If Bothroyd is demanding over the odds wages they should tell him to GTF,end of story!

• Advertisement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hearts/8601094/Hearts-will-not-be-punished-for-fans-assault-on-Celtic-manager-Neil-Lennon.html

By Jesus... Hearts are not going to face any sanctions from the SFA (according to Roddy Forsyth) for one of thir fans attacking Neil Lennon!!!

And some wonder why we're paranoid???

Emilio Izaguirre insists he is staying with Celtic

The Honduran left-back says he is happy in Glasgow and is looking forward to recovering from a hamstring injury.

260374 Emilio Izaguirre proved a revelation in his first season in Scotland, playing 42 times for Celtic at left back. Pic: ©SNS Group
    Emilio Izaguirre has stated his desire to remain with Celtic, despite claiming he was subject to interest from Manchester United.

The Honduran defender has returned to Glasgow, having travelled to watch his country reach the semi-finals of the Gold Cup before losing to eventual tournament winners Mexico.

Izaguirre, who played for Honduras at the 2010 World Cup, was forced to sit out the Gold Cup due to a hamstring injury.

But he is ready to step up his recovery before travelling to link up with his Celtic team-mates in Australia and says his intention is to remain as part of Neil Lennon’s side.

“I have no words to describe how happy I am in Glasgow, especially now that my family lives with me,” Izaguirre told La Tribuna.

“It is true that there are offers from Manchester United and other clubs. But my idea is to stay at Celtic and recover as quickly as possible to play again with my team and the national side.”

The 25-year-old had a season to remember in Glasgow, winning the Player of the Year awards on offer from the Scottish PFA, Scottish Football Writers and Scottish Premier League.

“It was a fabulous season,” Izaguirre said of the 2010/11 campaign. “It sometimes seems like a dream.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hearts/8601094/Hearts-will-not-be-punished-for-fans-assault-on-Celtic-manager-Neil-Lennon.html

By Jesus... Hearts are not going to face any sanctions from the SFA (according to Roddy Forsyth) for one of thir fans attacking Neil Lennon!!!

And some wonder why we're paranoid???

But neither do Celtic for their fans attacking stewards and police (yes, yes, I know this happened after Lennon got attacked, but still, it was heavy stuff).

But neither do Celtic for their fans attacking stewards and police (yes, yes, I know this happened after Lennon got attacked, but still, it was heavy stuff).

Celtic fans were unbelievably restrained considering what happened.

Hearts getting off scot free makes a further laughing stock of Scottish football considering that when Hugh Dallas got hit by a coin Celtic were (rightly) hammered by the authorities and fined £45k.

Anyone know what this Wanyama fella is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Hearts getting off scot free makes a further laughing stock of Scottish football considering that when Hugh Dallas got hit by a coin Celtic were (rightly) hammered by the authorities and fined £45k.

Good point Bobby. Didn't Hearts get away with it when Riordan was attacked, and Ian Murray hit with a coin. Think the fan was fined £400:eek:

Anyone know what this Wanyama fella is like?
    Don't know anything about him other than he made his debut for his country (Kenya I think) at the age of 15 I read on a celtic forum. Lennon tried to buy him last season so obviously he sees something in this guy.

Celtic been linked tonight with a move for John O'Shea according to many facebook pages and joe.ie

Sorry, but 'restrained' ?
    There was a full out riot going on in the away end, with stewards and police being attacked (And I'm not talking about a bit of pushing).

As for Wanyama: I've seen him a few times in the Belgian league, I'm not saying this because he signed for you but he's not exactly an asset to any team.

There was a full out riot going on in the away end, with stewards and police being attacked (And I'm not talking about a bit of pushing).

As for Wanyama: I've seen him a few times in the Belgian league, I'm not saying this because he signed for you but he's not exactly an asset to any team.

The irony of The Rangers' fans harping on about fan behaviour never ceases to give me a laugh. :D

As for Wanyama, I'll trust Lennon and co. over your opinion - at least we're making signings. Your new owner is proving to be a bit of an anti-climax it seems.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    The irony of The Rangers' fans harping on about fan behaviour never ceases to give me a laugh. :D

As for Wanyama, I'll trust Lennon and co. over your opinion - at least we're making signings. Your new owner is proving to be a bit of an anti-climax it seems.

'At least we're making signings' ?
    Like last season, when you had a full NFL roster ? :D

LOL!!! No buddy, a "full out riot" is what happened in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Can we see a link to this ''full out riot'' please??

One of two things happening here a) you are spouting hyperbole rubbish or b) your grasp of the english language leaves alot to be desired and you have no idea what a ''full out riot '' entails

While I suspect the answer is a), if on the very off chance it is b) may I suggest as bobbly has alluded to you check out what happened in Manchester.

Can we see a link to this ''full out riot'' please??

One of two things happening here a) you are spouting hyperbole rubbish or b) your grasp of the english language leaves alot to be desired and you have no idea what a ''full out riot '' entails

While I suspect the answer is a), if on the very off chance it is b) may I suggest as bobbly has alluded to you check out what happened in Manchester.

What else would you describe the attacking of police officers and stewards then ?
    'A friendly exchange of pleasantries' ?

A link ?
    http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Neil-Lennon-attacked-by-fan.6766744.jp
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386164/Celtic-boss-Neil-Lennon-attacked-Hearts-fan-Tynecastle.html?ITO=1490
    http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Tynecastle-disgrace-as-fan-attacks.6766816.jp

And yes, I know that this happened after Lennon got attacked, but it still happened.
    The ridiculous use of Manchester is tiresome by the way, as if that excuses anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If that was a 'full on riot', how would you describe what happened in Manchester, Greece, Northern Ireland or Bahrain?

Wow, talk about deflecting.

Well, in that case Manchester wasn't too bad either as there weren't that many arrests, won't you agree ? :rolleyes:
    As usual you fail to admit any wrong doing by your own fans and immediately try to shift the attention else where.

So what happened at Tynecastle was a full on riot but Manchester wasnt too bad.

Wow, talk about talking out your arse!

Sarcasm is completely lost on you, isn't it ?
    Here, let me make it a bit easier:

Well, in that case Manchester wasn't too bad either as there weren't that many arrests, won't you agree ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it was anyone else, I'd say it was sarcasm but I wouldnt know with you.

So back to the point, if tynecastle is a full on riot, what was manchester?

• Advertisement

What else would you describe the attacking of police officers and stewards then ?
    'A friendly exchange of pleasantries' ?

A link ?
    http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Neil-Lennon-attacked-by-fan.6766744.jp
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386164/Celtic-boss-Neil-Lennon-attacked-Hearts-fan-Tynecastle.html?ITO=1490
    http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Tynecastle-disgrace-as-fan-attacks.6766816.jp

And yes, I know that this happened after Lennon got attacked, but it still happened.
    The ridiculous use of Manchester is tiresome by the way, as if that excuses anything else.

I thought you were actually going to post a video of it rather than rely on the accounts of journalists who probably would of been situated on the half way line in the main stand. I remember seeing a video of it at the time from the hearts end. From what I can remember it was handbags around the entrance of one section of the entire stand, hardly 'full on' Looked like a few punches thrown, but was hard to see. Maybe it would be better to comment on an incident if you've actually seen it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement