Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty tricks

Options
  • 27-02-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I've been interested in this election to see some of the dirty tricks that have gone on. Usually against FG as far I saw.

I was expecting to see plenty of new sign-ups on boards.ie pimping whatever party they were a member or supporter of but there were a few things that caught me by surprise.

If you look at the jpg I've attached it was taken on a Dublin Bus in Glasnevin on election day. Unfortunately I didn't zoom in enough so a lot of if isn't readable. The spot where the bus ad normally goes had two things in it. One was the Metro ad that FF ran slating FG, the one that was very difficult to tell it was an ad. The other is a page from the Concerned Busworkers General Election 2011. Which basically says that Privatisation will wreck the bus service and FG are the ones who want that. It's clearly saying vote Labour.

My friends father works for Dublin bus and he openly admits that they have gotten a number of increases over the years for 'new work practices' but even though one thing will replace another they got paid again and didn't lose the initial increase.

This made me angry and really helped yet again confirm that voting FG was the best I could do. The sooner the better the vested interests have suffer like the rest of us.

Anyone else see any other dirty tricks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Another one I saw was the facebook groups about the stag hunting. Seemed to be some genuine people but when I questioned it my posts were deleted. And subsequently I got the strong impression that a lot of the people behind it didn't give a damn about stag hunting either way. The whole point of the pages was an anti-FG smear campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I heard something on FG and SF taking a certain independents poster down in Co Wicklow now that's real dirty tactics

My local FG guys posters were taken down and the Labour and SF one's were not. How many or how true I don't know. This in the constituency with 2 Lab and 1 SF now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its very interesting that the area right next door to where that photo was taken namely dublin northwest did not elect one FG or FF minister....

They actually elected 2 labour and 1 Sinn Fein.

Is there a chance that Dr Bill Tormeys area actually knows how 2 faced he behaved in council voteing in the area or Is there a chance they got peed off by the fact that brendan bradys attempt to pay people to vote only annoyed them into voteing an alternative?

Fine Gael have openly admitted to being a privatisation party. Its a reason the unions are worried about a single party Fine Gael govt and issued such a statement only last week... Granted the unions issueing a statement have the effect of makeing the inverse happen to what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Is your friend still financially dependant on his father? If Fine Gael make his father redundant will he be upset?

I don't think this is Dirty Tricks - I can only assume it is the staff of the Bus company trying to protect their jobs and management facilitating them by allowing them to put the poster up.

Privatising Bus routes doesn't only effect staff, it also effects the public who live on the unprofitable route.

I don't work for a bus company.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying that privatisation is automatically the best way. What I am saying is pouring money into services that don't give a good return has to stop as we have no money. So if the service cannot be reformed then sell it off and get the private sector to reform it. No right thinking person in this country should accept pouring money in for second rate services, which we have been accepting.

Interesting though I saw that on the bus which was in the constituency with 2 Lab and 1 SF. Were they on all the buses from the Harristown garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

There was a campaign of defacing and removing posters in Dublin North West. Heard of it last week and saw this on Twitter today:
    http://twitter.com/#!/PosterDefacer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I noticed extra people before profit posters go up in the expense on FF and FG posters. I seen a cache of FF poster in buses close to my house. There was also that made up story about Mary Hanafin trying to rush through a bill on file sharing. The far-left have been very unhonorable in this election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Six of One wrote: »
    There was a campaign of defacing and removing posters in Dublin North West. Heard of it last week and saw this on Twitter today:
    http://twitter.com/#!/PosterDefacer
    If it makes you feel any better a few days before the election some of Dr Bills men where around putting up posters where I live. When I went over the shops later that day I noticed all the labour posters were turned inwards and the Dr Bill posters where facing the shops. In short, everyone does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

To be honest every party I think has tried something on their competitors posters or whatever, FF posters in Wicklow were defaced Stephen Donnolly posters taking down, labour posters defaced more than likely FG too, politics to some people is all out war it's part n parcel of it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Another dirty trick was by pro-Labour Irish Times to publish lie that Drumm didn't paid any taxes and remove from their site immediately after election
    Drumm paid just €10,000 tax on €10m Anglo Irish income - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 25, 2011
    Of coarse headlines from front-page have been seen by many people during Friday and it gave a lot of votes to the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Labour candidate in Tipperary claimed 300 of his posters went missing and started complaining on the radio
    Nobody took him seriously or believed him. Probably the wind.

Advertisement