Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend registered in 2 constituencies and was sent out two voting cards.I'm stunned.

Options
  • 26-02-2011 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭

I don't live in the country but I'm still regeistered at my parents address in North Dublin and flew home yesterday to vote because I believe (among other things) that the party in power the last 14 years are the reason I had to leave Ireland and will probably be unable to return in the foreseeable future and I'm angry. I feel I'm a direct victim of the economic crisis partly caused by the goons who governed us previously, I'm an Irish citizen, I love my country and have a right to vote...but only once. Some might not agree but that's okay.

However, was in the pub last night and was talking to a friend who grew up in the same town as me but lives in another constituency on the West Coast. She is registered in both areas (she didn't realise she was still registered here in Dublin) and had a polling card sent to both addresses. She drove up to Dublin last night before 10pm to celebrate and technically she could have voted in both constituencies if she didn't believe it was grossly dishonest. I'm stunned that this happened. I'm guessing this is not a one-off case. How could this happen? How could the organisation of the distribution of polling cards be so chaotic in such a small country? How many people voted twice yesterday? Anyone else find this deeply worrying? How common place is this problem? Shouldn't we be demanding a reelection? This is not democracy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

This is Ireland. Why are you shocked exactly? Isn't this the kind of electoral abuse that has been tolerated under old regimes.

I certainly hope your "friend" didn't vote twice, not because it was dishonest, because it was grossly illegal...and as an Irish citizen you have a duty to report her if she did, remember that

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Same here!
    I'm still registered at my parents address despite the fact that I moved out 13 years ago. (as are one of my brothers and my sister)
    I got knocked off the register in my own address for the 2007 election (to this day I don;t know how)- I only discovered it when I went to vote.
    Managed after 3 attempts to get back on the register this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭letsbehonest

Hope you stay away from Ireland.
    You seem boring!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

This is Ireland. Why are you shocked exactly? Isn't this the kind of electoral abuse that has been tolerated under old regimes.

I certainly hope your "friend" didn't vote twice, not because it was dishonest, because it was grossly illegal...and as an Irish citizen you have a duty to report her if she did, remember that

As I said in my post, she didn't vote twice and if she did, I would have reported her.

Why am I shocked exactly? Because it's shocking. I'm not surprised because as you said, this is Ireland...but I'm not so apathetic that I don't still feel disgusted over something like this hence the reason I flew home to vote. I still believe I can make a change.

Hope you stay away from Ireland.
    You seem boring!:D

Pardon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

That happens a LOT. I know a girl who gets two cards for the same constituency, only for her honesty, she could have voted twice for the same person.

TECHNICALLY, you were the one breaking the law by flying home to vote ;) (I believe recent expats deserve that right, so don't shoot the messenger)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

It's more commonplace than you'd think. My cousin has gotten two polling cards for two different properties (in the same constituency) for the last two general elections, even though she has been down to the county council TWICE to try an fix it! Thankflly she only used the one vote!

Quackles wrote: »
    That happens a LOT. I know a girl who gets two cards for the same constituency, only for her honesty, she could have voted twice for the same person.

TECHNICALLY, you were the one breaking the law by flying home to vote ;) (I believe recent expats deserve that right, so don't shoot the messenger)

"If you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address."

I planned to come home within 18 months (I've been gone 18 months now) but couldn't. I can't return home.

I get your point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    "If you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address."

I planned to come home within 18 months (I've been gone 18 months now) but couldn't. I can't return home.

I get your point though.

Fair play to you for making the effort to come home and change things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they don't use the pps number enough. Many people have the same name so they don't notice if some one is down twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

As I said in my post, she didn't vote twice and if sporting 3.2 million were he did, I would have reported her.

Why am I shocked exactly? Because it's shocking. I'm not surprised because as you said, this is Ireland...but I'm not so apathetic that I don't still feel disgusted over something like this hence the reason I flew home to vote. I still believe I can make a change.
    until the register is linked to peoples pps number then situation inevitaeble. eg. Johnnny murphy leaveas cork he now lives in dub and registers to vote but doesnt take his name of cork register.

rte reporting 3.2Million registered to vote yesterday. the country has about 4.5 million residents means over 70% aged 18+ dont think so.

And another point, I know most of my friends didn't get IDs checked. I did because I handed it to her presuming that was the protocol (I haven't voted since the last general elections...was taken off registry for locals). My step-mother is out of the country at the moment...I could have used her voting card to cast another vote again and she would never have checked! What a joke!

No, I'm not suprised but I'm still disgusted. It just makes it all seem even more shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

As they say, vote early, vote often!

It is a computer system that prints them. We as people depend on them too much. I can't remember, do we submit our pps numbers with our application to be put on the register. If so, it should flash red if the pps number is on the system twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭letsbehonest

Pardon?

Hers's a flight back to Madrid.
    http://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/FRSelect.aspx
    Notice it's one way. It also with Ryanair so it is with a budget airline. You can save some some as well. You won't be missed!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

There isnt a national register. Its up to you to de-register. If you vote twice thats illegal.

There is little or no indication of fraud in Irish elections. Were there fraud it wouldnt be a vote in Mayo, and a vote in Dublin but a vote in the same constituency twice.

As for the OP. Its not quite obvious that you had the right to vote either as you were clearly not resident at the address, or in the country, you claim to be. Thats probably illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i got 2 polling cards too

one in my mothers house and one to a house i moved out of nearly 2 years ago :D

There isnt a national register. Its up to you to de-register. If you vote twice thats illegal.

There is little or no indication of fraud in Irish elections. Were there fraud it wouldnt be a vote in Mayo, and a vote in Dublin but a vote in the same constituency twice.

As for the OP. Its not quite obvious that you had the right to vote either as you were clearly not resident at the address, or in the country, you claim to be. Thats probably illegal.

Yep I broke the law coming home to vote it transpires. Voting twice is clearly wrong but coming home to vote in the country you were forced out of because the party in power fecked up the good times is different.

I've broken many laws in my life, I'll probably break more down the line but I think this one is worth it to be honest.

Notice it's one way. It also with Ryanair so it is with a budget airline. You can save some some as well. You won't be missed!:D

My flight is booked already but thanks for the link.

I won't be missed? Tell that to the people who miss me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Less of this kind of crap please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement