Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Society Controlled by Ubiquitous RFID

Options
  • 24-07-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

An interesting article in the Korean Times on how RFID can influence us in every day life and how much our lives are becoming more dependant on it.

"The moment you put items into your cart at a supermarket, the payment is made automatically. Customers no longer have to wait in long lines at the counters. You can have detailed information on products on the shelves if you put your cell phone next to them. You can also have your own health checked and have access to a u-health care system built using wireless or wired networks anytime, anywhere".

http://www.koreaittimes.com/story/4104/dream-society-controlled-ubiquitous-rfid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Sounds great I can't wait for that, I hate queueing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I dunno.

If I take the items back out of my cart, do I get an automatic refund?

Sounds to me like it will make my bank account statement a complete mess. I want one entry for the shopping made at one store...not a set of micro-payments and re-imbursements on an item-by-item basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

meglome wrote: »
    Sounds great I can't wait for that, I hate queueing.
    If its anything like the automated Tesco checkouts they can keep them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If its anything like the automated Tesco checkouts they can keep them. :rolleyes:

I just look at them things like they are witchcraft.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

K-9 wrote: »

Nasty pieces of kit, If you bu anything that is "marked off" the normal price it will drive the machines scatters. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Can I ask How this is a CT?
    how is a device to reduce queues and publically shown around a CT?

am I missing soemthing here.... or did I come to the rant and raving fiorum????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

what??? you dont see the CT connection between the NWO and RFID

do you expect that some day agents of the NWO will just wander round to your house and inform you that you are now their slave, they have managed to get everything sorted out except you and your pesky notion of free will??

No, they will sneak all these devices into our conciousness with the promise that it will make life easier for everyone. you will embrace this technology and become a Fanboi for it, then one day you will wake up and realise that you have been shafted and ther is nothing you can do about it, because by then it will be too late, and you will look back at this point in time and realise what it was we were on about :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

K-9 wrote: »

I'm sure both the Tech experts and Witches will assure you otherwise.

However I refuse to use Self Checkouts in B&Q, Superquinn or Tesco for a variety of other reasons. I'm also deeply suspicious of "points" store loyalty cards. Absolutely NOT a computer version of Green Shield Stamps if anyone old enough to remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

what??? you dont see the CT connection between the NWO and RFID

do you expect that some day agents of the NWO will just wander round to your house and inform you that you are now their slave, they have managed to get everything sorted out except you and your pesky notion of free will??

No, they will sneak all these devices into our conciousness with the promise that it will make life easier for everyone. you will embrace this technology and become a Fanboi for it, then one day you will wake up and realise that you have been shafted and ther is nothing you can do about it, because by then it will be too late, and you will look back at this point in time and realise what it was we were on about :eek:

No I don't see the connection between NWO... and reducing my queing time in Supervalu....
    can you please explain that aspect to me please.

RFID is a solution looking for a problem. I'd bet the RFID association whould love a bulk order from Anyone without investigationg what it's for.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

watty wrote: »

Nah. Those barcodes need line of sight. With RFID, you could pass a pallet loads of items thru a scanner and it will tell you how many. Thats system could only tell you the outer ones that it can see.

Except most RFID systems can cope with more than a few tags at once, if even more than one.

I agree a potentially nice idea, but it wouldn't work with a pallet of mixed canned goods anyway.

Advertisement