Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media conspired to suppress news

Options
  • 30-06-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting article in the NYT about how they (the NYT) worked to suppress a story for the past 7 months...including trying to keep it off the likes of Wikipedia.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Wow. Interesting story. I love the way that users presumed that the wiki admins§mods were abusing their powers by not accepting the edits and felt that it was their right to get the information out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

But didnt the English media agree to keep Prince Harry's army involvement a secret until an american publication found out about it.

I can see the point of the "times" and agree with it.

Also Wiki is not seen exactly as a source of proven information anyways and this story proves this.

However if another person who failed to see the argument from the "Times" point of view god knows where that man would be today?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yeah. Actually I'm glab that the editor of the NYT knows that for such a sensitive case he can call up other newspaper editors and rely on them to hold-off on printing for the benifit of a hostage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

can someone post the text for thse of us experiencin difficulties loggin in to the NYT website please

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I can see the point of the "times" and agree with it.
    The point of the times is, to be honest a seperate issue.

Its not so much about whether or not they were jsutified in suppressing the information...rather than who all colluded with them, and how successful it was.
    Also Wiki is not seen exactly as a source of proven information anyways and this story proves this.
    Actually, if anything, this story shows that Wiki is increasingly seen as a source of what is considered to be dependable information.

The NYT felt wiki was important enough to get them on-board.
    Wiki played along, just like the executive editor in the article says the mainstream media usually would.
    Wales (from Wiki) goes on record saying that their stance (i.e. that of Wiki) was made easier by the fact that there was no dependable source to which the claim could be linked, suggesting that wiki takes the notion of linking to dependable sources increasingly seriously.

If wiki was widely considered to be just some non-dependable rumour-mill, then why was it important to NYT?

I know that everyone like to just dismiss wikipedia out of hand because its not 100% reliable, but the reality is that its widely used as a reference, particularly when the points being used are linked to external, dependable sources....and that increasingly it is the first port of call to find out basic information.
    However if another person who failed to see the argument from the "Times" point of view god knows where that man would be today?
    Who knows indeed. Maybe he'd have been released months earlier, rather than having to risk his life escaping.

Maybe had he not tried and succeeded at escaping, they'd have concluded he was worthless as a hostage, and executed him just to create a video-tape that the world would be more likely to be interested in (and to shame those who clearly covered up his disappearance).

The idea that giving coverage to hostage-taking results in deaths is - at best - tenuous.

As I said at the start, however, thats really a seperate issue.

The question relevant to this forum, surely, is not whether or not we each agree with the motive, but rather what we consider the implications to be now that the mainstream media have admitted to a successful cover-up, complete with the collusion of what is supposed to be an independant, anyone-can-edit, information-wants-to-be-free source....and just how easy they make it sound in terms of how the print- and broadcast- media just typically need some phonecalls to suppress a story...phrased in a manner that suggests such suppression occurs regularly enough that there is a "normal" modus operandi.

Sure, we can rationalise that the media are only suppressing stories that they all agree are in their own interests to suppress but without knowing what they consider to be "in their interest", that isn't saying a hell of a lot.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think this is an end-of-the-world type of revelation...I just think its an interesting story which raises some very interesting questions. If we only trust information from dependable sources...are those sources still dependable when the information becomes "news we're willing to let you know" rather than "news".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

But didnt the English media agree to keep Prince Harry's army involvement a secret until an american publication found out about it.

I would consider that a justified reason to suppress news, because it puts his fellow soldiers in more danger than they normally would be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Jocksereire

'We are grateful to The Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination [read as 'democracy'] practiced in past centuries."
    David Rockerfeller --June 5, 1991, Bilderberger meeting in Baden Baden, Germany (a meeting also attended by then-Governor Bill Clinton)

Walter Cronkite wrote:
    "'A handful of us determine what will be on the evening news broadcasts, or, for that matter, in the New York Times or Washington Post or Wall Street Journal.... Indeed it is a handful of us with this awesome power... a strongly editorial power.
    "...we must deicide which news items out of hundreds available we are going to expose that day. And those [news stories] available to us already have been culled and re-culled by persons far outside our control.'"

Former CBS Anchorman, Dan Rather, speaks to an audience about how corporate broadcasters have compromised journalistic integrity by satisfying stockholders, instead of public interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

'We are grateful to The Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination [read as 'democracy'] practiced in past centuries."
    David Rockerfeller --June 5, 1991, Bilderberger meeting in Baden Baden, Germany (a meeting also attended by then-Governor Bill Clinton)

Source? Seems to fit far too snugly into whats would want to be heard by certain CT groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Bonkey

I agree and maybe i didnt say it clearly enough.

TBH the only place for Joe's like you and I to put information out there is the likes of Wiki, which I assume a google search will search first, so its the best bet to get info out. However if I research a little on Wiki I take the info with a pinch of salt and investigate another place to find the same Wiki info been quoted as thier source. I do agree thats it's a kinda starting point shall I call it.

As to your point about a suscessful cover up I dont see this been a suscessful test case because the editor/admin of Wiki saw that a life was possibly on the line and took what i believe to be a moral stance on the issue.

At the end the Times themselves told the story and it would be a different scenario if another newspaper discovered the story and the Times refuted all stories as lies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

can someone post the text for thse of us experiencin difficulties loggin in to the NYT website please
    Here you go:
    For seven months, The New York Times managed to keep out of the news the fact that one of its reporters, David Rohde, had been kidnapped by the Taliban.

Days after Mr. Rohde was kidnapped in November, editing tussles began on his Wikipedia entry.

But that was pretty straightforward compared with keeping it off Wikipedia.

Times executives believed that publicity would raise Mr. Rohde’s value to his captors as a bargaining chip and reduce his chance of survival. Persuading another publication or a broadcaster not to report the kidnapping usually meant just a phone call from one editor to another, said Bill Keller, executive editor of The Times.

But Wikipedia, which operates under the philosophy that anyone can be an editor, and that all information should be public, is a vastly different world.

A dozen times, user-editors posted word of the kidnapping on Wikipedia’s page on Mr. Rohde, only to have it erased. Several times the page was frozen, preventing further editing — a convoluted game of cat-and-mouse that clearly angered the people who were trying to spread the information of the kidnapping.

Even so, details of his capture cropped up time and again, however briefly, showing how difficult it is to keep anything off the Internet — even a sentence or two about a person who is not especially famous.

The sanitizing was a team effort, led by Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia, along with Wikipedia administrators and people at The Times. In an interview, Mr. Wales said that Wikipedia’s cooperation was not a given.

“We were really helped by the fact that it hadn’t appeared in a place we would regard as a reliable source,” he said. “I would have had a really hard time with it if it had.”

Mr. Rohde was kidnapped in Afghanistan on Nov. 10, along with his interpreter and their driver. Two days after the kidnapping, a Wikipedia user altered the entry on Mr. Rohde to emphasize his work that could be seen as sympathetic to Muslims, like his reporting on Guantánamo, and his coverage of the Srebrenica massacre of Bosnian Muslims. Mr. Rohde won a Pulitzer Prize for his Bosnia coverage in 1996, when he worked for The Christian Science Monitor.

The Wikipedia editor in that case was Michael Moss, an investigative reporter at The Times and friend of Mr. Rohde who has written extensively about groups like Al Qaeda and the Taliban. Like many Wikipedia editors, he adopted a user name that hid his true identity.

“I knew from my jihad reporting that the captors would be very quick to get online and assess who he was and what he’d done, what his value to them might be,” he said. “I’d never edited a Wikipedia page before.”

With his editors’ blessing, Mr. Moss had already made similar changes to Mr. Rohde’s “topic page” on The Times’s Web site, and in both cases he omitted the name of Mr. Rohde’s former employer, because it contained the word Christian.

The Wikipedia page history shows that the next day, Nov. 13, someone without a user name edited the entry on Mr. Rohde for the first time to include the kidnapping. Mr. Moss deleted the addition, and the same unidentified user promptly restored it, adding a note protesting the removal. The unnamed editor cited an Afghan news agency report. In the first few days, at least two small news agencies and a handful of blogs reported the kidnapping.

Around that time, Catherine J. Mathis, the chief spokeswoman for the New York Times Company, called Mr. Wales and asked for his help. Knowing that his own actions on Wikipedia draw attention, Mr. Wales turned to an administrator, one of several who would eventually become involved in monitoring and controlling the page.

On Nov. 13, news of the kidnapping was posted and deleted four times within four hours, before an administrator blocked any more changes for three days. On Nov. 16, it was blocked again, for two weeks.

“We didn’t want it to look unusual in some fashion that would draw speculation, so we would protect it for three days, or up to a month, which is pretty normal,” Mr. Wales said. He added, “Weeks would go by before there was a problem.”

On Feb. 10 and 11, two users added the kidnapping information several times to Mr. Rohde’s page, only to see it removed each time, and they attached some heated notes to their additions. “We can do this months,” one said.

An administrator put a rare indefinite block on the page, then changed that to a temporary freeze. One of the would-be editors posted a note saying: “Not gonna work boy genius. Should have stuck to indefinite.”

Most of the attempts to add the information, including the first and the last, came from three similar Internet protocol addresses that correspond to an Internet service provider in Florida, and Wikipedia administrators guessed that they were all the same user.

“We had no idea who it was,” said Mr. Wales, who said there was no indication the person had ill intent. “There was no way to reach out quietly and say ‘Dude, stop and think about this.’ ”

Last Saturday, after Mr. Rohde and the translator, Tahir Ludin, escaped from a Taliban compound in Pakistan, Ms. Mathis e-mailed Mr. Wales before making a public announcement, and Mr. Wales, himself, unfroze the page.

When the news broke Saturday, the user from Florida reposted the information, with a note to administrators that said: “Is that enough proof for you [expletives]? I was right. You were WRONG.”

Joseph M. Reagle, an adjunct professor of communications at New York University who studies Wikipedia, said he was not sure whether its role in suppressing news about Mr. Rohde would prompt an outcry among longtime editors, because in the Rohde case, lives were at stake.

“Wikipedia has, over time, instituted gradually more control because of some embarrassing incidents, particularly involving potentially libelous material, and some people get histrionic about it, proclaiming the death of Wikipedia,” he said. “But the idea of a pure openness, a pure democracy, is a naïve one.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Jocksereire

Australian journalist, author, film maker John Pilger speaks about global media consolidation, war by journalism, US military's quest for domination/hegemony in the post 9/11 era, false history in the guise of 'objective' journalism.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4258131083758254736

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Bonkey

I agree and maybe i didnt say it clearly enough.

TBH the only place for Joe's like you and I to put information out there is the likes of Wiki, which I assume a google search will search first, so its the best bet to get info out. However if I research a little on Wiki I take the info with a pinch of salt and investigate another place to find the same Wiki info been quoted as thier source. I do agree thats it's a kinda starting point shall I call it.

As to your point about a suscessful cover up I dont see this been a suscessful test case because the editor/admin of Wiki saw that a life was possibly on the line and took what i believe to be a moral stance on the issue.

At the end the Times themselves told the story and it would be a different scenario if another newspaper discovered the story and the Times refuted all stories as lies etc.
    thats the reason it was a suscessful test case to point out,the Times themselfs told the story which ends the cover-up!! but we can all understand the moral stance however right or wrong a person views it, during war time its not un-common.interesting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Source? Seems to fit far too snugly into whats would want to be heard by certain CT groups.
    It is "disputed".
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/David_Rockefeller
    We are grateful to The Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the bright lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now much more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries.

Purportedly at a meeting of the Trilateral Commission (June 1991); as quoted in Matrix of Power: How the World Has Been Controlled by Powerful Men Without Your Knowledge (2000) by Jordan Maxwell

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

"Purportedly" I'd guess is the weasel word :)

Advertisement