Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Global recession leads to increased plane crashes.

• 18-07-2009 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Supposedly there is a minimum safety standard airliners have to adhere to, during normal economic activity they reach and surpass this standard, but during financial difficulty one of the cuts airliners visit is reducing their safety standards to the minimum.

I cant find any links but it does make you think.

Do you feel safe to fly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I would believe this given the number of recent air accidents in Ireland and internationally in the past 2 months (min 3 that I can think of off the top of my head)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jimmy456

Supposedly there is a minimum safety standard airliners have to adhere to, during normal economic activity they reach and surpass this standard, but during financial difficulty one of the cuts airliners visit is reducing their safety standards to the minimum.

I cant find any links but it does make you think.

Do you feel safe to fly?

it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I would believe this given the number of recent air accidents in Ireland and internationally in the past 2 months (min 3 that I can think of off the top of my head)
    What happened in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well its also worth considering once an airline has a crash its insanely costly on their parts, both in reputation and financially. If Ryanair were to have a crash which came down to them cutting corners I doubt anyone would fly them ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

damnyanks wrote: »
    Well its also worth considering once an airline has a crash its insanely costly on their parts, both in reputation and financially. If Ryanair were to have a crash which came down to them cutting corners I doubt anyone would fly them ever again.
    No fear of them, they are probably one of the top safety conscious Airlines in the World, a fresh fleet all based on a single airline model, IE the Boeing 737 800 series, They cut down on expenses that other airlines incur because they only have to train a maintenance crew and hold spare parts for just one type of Airline and im sure they get their consumables and spares in bulk the same way as they got their planes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say the Air France crash was the only surprise crash and I think weather caused that, the others were down to el cheapo maintenance and US embargos on parts supplies which caused hundreds to die. In the real world more than 100 times this have died in car related crashes around the world, not a word said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No fear of them, they are probably one of the top safety conscious Airlines in the World, a fresh fleet all based on a single airline model, IE the Boeing 737 800 series, They cut down on expenses that other airlines incur because they only have to train a maintenance crew and hold spare parts for just one type of Airline and im sure they get their consumables and spares in bulk the same way as they got their planes.
    But the problem with Ryanair is the high turnabout for planes. If a flight gets delayed, it impacts all flights to be made by that plane. A manager/supervisor who wants to get back onto the timetable can easily forgo a simple maintanence routine if they think it isn't important. That would be my main concern about them.

humanji wrote: »
    But the problem with Ryanair is the high turnabout for planes. If a flight gets delayed, it impacts all flights to be made by that plane. A manager/supervisor who wants to get back onto the timetable can easily forgo a simple maintanence routine if they think it isn't important. That would be my main concern about them.
    I assume Ryanair like any other Airline keeps a very strict maintenance code, ie logbooks of all on going works carried out, these can be inspected by EASA at any given time. Service intervals etc would be logged and It would not look good at all if breaches of this were published. All it takes is just one f*ck up and an enquiry would be made.

I dunno, but every time i look at a ryan air plane i think of a reasonably big car with wings..

I dunno, but every time i look at a ryan air plane i think of a reasonably big car with wings..

A Mc Donalds with wings is more like it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

Global recession leads to increased plane crashes.

Yes, and the amount of Caribbean pirate activity is inversely proportional to global warming.

piratestats.jpg

Correlation does not imply causation.

Besides...since the Air France disaster and the Iran one, the media are obviously going to run with every air disaster story possible. Anyone who was on CNN for the last couple of months will see this. Those accidents involving light aircraft that you would normally only hear a bit on are obviously going to be sensationalized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

This is something I've been saying since the beginning of the recession - and it's certainly turning out exactly as I predicted.

This, in turn, will cause more clean up operations, increased costs (replacing planes) and less people flying now due to fear of a crash.. It'll have a knock on effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Is there any historical statistical data to back this claim up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

I'm glad someone noticed the increase in plane crashes lately.
    I will in my arse fly but thats just cause I'm afraid of flying.

Advertisement