Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rennes airport to Domaine De Kerlann

Options
  • 30-06-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Arriving into Rennes and trying to get a family of 5 to Domaine de Kerlann. (2 hours approx) Is bus or train an option or will we have to go for car hire €€€. Trying to keep costs down but then thinking a car for even one or two days would be handy for doing big shop in Pont Aven. Any advice welcome...thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Check the website of the accomodation for their recommendations on how to reach them. Check/ cross reference with the rail company for timetables and prices.
    Check Rennes airport for how to get from airport to Rennes town/ station. Theres a small metro there but I dont remember it extending to the airport.
    With all that info, you'll know how to get from A to B.
    BTW, if you have a chance to stay in Rennes for a night it'd be worth it too. Great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Note that the bus from Rennes to the airport doesn't actually go *into* the airport. It passes by it. More a problem for arriving when leaving the airport, but Mrs Zag found herself in the wilds of the countryside a long way from the airport last time she got the bus there.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Looks like car might be your only real option. It seems that concarneau is the nearest option by public transport and that involves numerous train changes and a bus from Rosporden (and that's going from Rennes itself not the airport) by the time you added a taxi on from there you'd probably be paying more than the cost of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Holiers

Personally I would not like to be in Domain de Kerlann without a car. You would need a car to get to the beach, supermarket etc ( there is a small one on site). I didn't see much evidence of bus routes or good cycle paths when we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bakermum

Im begining to think the same schemingbohemia. Ideally I d love to hire a car at the airport ..drive to the campsite...head off to do the shopping...back to the campsite and then the following day drop the car off again (to nearby town with car rental office)...bus/train/taxi back to campsite and then maybe rent car again for last 3/4 days for a bit of sight seeing and trip back to airport. Seems perfectly simple in my little head . Have some researching to do. No help on the Siblu website about local public transport not helping matters.
    Anyway thanks everyone for your help.

• Advertisement

Im begining to think the same schemingbohemia.
    Ideally I d love to hire a car at the airport ..drive to the campsite...head off to do the shopping...back to the campsite and then the following day drop the car off again (to nearby town with car rental office)...bus/train/taxi back to campsite and then maybe rent car again for last 3/4 days for a bit of sight seeing and trip back to airport. Seems perfectly simple in my little head . Have some researching to do. No help on the Siblu website about local public transport not helping matters.
    Anyway thanks everyone for your help.

from sniffing about the various towns tourist office websites theres no regular public transport it seems, even to pont aven.
    The nearest rail station is Quimper or Quimperle which are 30km away or so (so a good 50euro taxi spin I'd wager) .
    Do you have to go to that particular place? Should you not look into places which have good transport rather than good places with no transport?
    For instance somewhere near Lorient or Vannes or somewhere on that there coastal rail line where you can only need a taxi for a few km from the nearest station?

Tnx Munchkin Und...stuck with Domaine De Kerlann as its already booked. We booked WAY too late and couldn't be flexible with dates as hubby has started new job and had to take certain days. So Domaine de kerlann was a good option as you can arrive mid week in August not just book Sat to Sat. Plus we have teens and a smallie so the site covers both thus lessening the whinge factor ..Ideally we d have picked something within walking distance of beach and town but they were completely booked up for our dates...next year
    Oh and thanks for your " sniffing" its appreciated !!

If you haven't already booked your flights then consider -
    a) flying somewhere that might make it easier to get there - Paris or Nantes for example may be better connected than Rennes
    b) taking your own car over on the boat

Alternatively, consider if you can cancel that booking & stay somewhere else. If booked direct with the site you may well have some flexibility. We stayed near(ish) there a few years back - in Nevez. It's a lovely area.

Have you priced up the car rental to see what you are likely to pay?

z

Thanks for the reply...flights all booked. Ferry wasnt an option as myself and eldest son would be throwing up the whole way :-(. Really dont want to re book campsite at this stage as it took so long to decide on Domaine De Kerlann. Also flying mid week from Cork which will cut down on costs too. Anywhere else I liked the look of and suited our dates we d have to get to Dublin, which means extra travel and paying to park the car. Hire car it is

• Advertisement

For future years perhaps . . . the reason Mrs Zag was in Rennes airport in the first place is that she likes ferry travel as much as yourself & your son. I took the car & one son on the ferry. She took the other son on the plane to Rennes and I met them there. On the way back they got the train from Nantes to Rennes, hung around the town (a grim place by all accounts) for a couple of hours & got the bus to (somewhere close to) the airport.

z

jayus, they obvious got out the wrong side of Rennes station so.
    One side is the ladies prison.
    The other, city side, leads to the main square which is very pretty and the whole town in general is quite nice.
    And beyond the centre again theres lovely parks and gardens.

Oh that sounds like a plan..might keep that in mind for another year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

we've holidayed at that park, +1 on the need for the car, its located a far bit out in the countryside and is not really signposted at all from the nearest village (pont Aven). the shop and restaurant on site are both really pricey - Id be using them for little more than a bottle of milk / loaf of bread if push comes to shove. pont Aven is actually a pretty expensive town as well, but it has some fantastic scenery, particularly down by the river.
    For your nearest supermarket, exit the park and turn right, there is an intermarche less than half a mile up the road on your left.

That being said, its a lovely park, there are plenty of open areas compared to other parks I've stayed at, and the pool / splash zone is great.

Thats brilliant great to know where best super market is...will definately only be using the camp site shop for absolute essentials only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Bakermum wrote: »
    Thats brilliant great to know where best super market is...will definately only be using the camp site shop for absolute essentials only.

Its not the best supermarket, but its the closest thats reasonably prices, the best award would go to the E leclerc in quimperle, a truly massive hypermarket about a half hours drive away. they have everything from lamb to lawnmowers ! the google maps co ordinates for it are
    47.870341, -3.566502

theres also a LIDL very near that too, co ordinates 47.869722, -3.574645

Thats brilliant tnx so much!

Advertisement