Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions...

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Satellite Pro A210-1B3
    Part Number : PSAFHE-01500PEN
    € 748.00 (inc.VAT)

Key Features
    - AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60 (2.0 GHz)
    - Windows® Vista® Home Premium
    - DVD-RW SuperMulti (Double Layer) drive
    - 2,048 (1,024 + 1,024) MB DDR2 RAM (667 MHz)
    - 15.4" Widescreen XGA TruBrite® display (1280 x 800)

http://ie.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/productPage.do?service=IE&PRODUCT_ID=145749#
    1. Is this a good system?
    2. Overpriced or Bargin?
    3. Is AMD good?
    4. Is the ATI Radeon® X1200 crap?
    5. Should I get a Dell Vostro?
    6. Is there any other laptop options in this price range?
    I'm lost and I need help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

My own personal opinion:
    1. Yes, Better value with a Dell Vostro
    2.Middle of the road bordrering on overpriced.
    3.Amd is good, but you'd get a better performing Core 2 Duo processor in a Vostro.
    4.Yes.
    5.Yes.
    6.Plenty, goto Dell.ie and configure yourself up a Vostro for a smilar price and let us know what you find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

This is the same price, what you think?

BASEIntel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5470 (1.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2-cache)

OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista® Business -English

HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year Business

Hardware SupportLCD15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display

INTEGRATED WEBCAMMatte Jet Black without Camera

MEMORY3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x1024 + 1x2048 MB)

HARD DRIVE160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

GRAPHICS CARD Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100

OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive

PRIMARY BATTERYPrimary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

Is that a Vostro? £GB Ram in there which is Tons,good 160GB HDD aswell. Not bad, no need for a webcam? Did you look at the Dell XPS 1330?

webcam isnt important, i was lookin at the xps's but there all extremely expencive, my limit is about 750 tbh...

Between the Vostro above and the Toshiba what would be the best? Vostro has more RAM but the Toshiba has a faster processer (I think :p ).

Any others you can think of that would be worth a look?

I'll be using it for media such as photoshop, dreamweaver, video editing ect I wana be able to run a few programs at the same time without the laptop exploding...

• Advertisement

Ok I'll have a look through that and see what suits me, thanks for the help!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Use the link in this post and go for the one furthest on the right. It's a great laptop for the money and will be great for video editing and the like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Krsnik87 wrote: »
    This is the same price, what you think?

BASEIntel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5470 (1.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2-cache)

OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista® Business -English

HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year Business

Hardware SupportLCD15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display

INTEGRATED WEBCAMMatte Jet Black without Camera

MEMORY3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x1024 + 1x2048 MB)

HARD DRIVE160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

GRAPHICS CARD Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100

OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive

PRIMARY BATTERYPrimary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)
    That couldn't conform to DDR2 specification :eek:, suprised dell would have that tbh, you may get better performence with matched pairs of 1 gig DDR2s or 2x2Gig modules, odd combination there for a dell I'd think :eek:

Nick

I was thinking that myself but I remember reading something on the site saying that the extra gig is can be used for helping other hardware, not too sure, I can't find the link to where I saw it...

• Advertisement

I was thinking that myself but I remember reading something on the site saying that the extra gig is can be used for helping other hardware, not too sure, I can't find the link to where I saw it...
    Yeah it will work fine but wont run in DDR2 mode, seems rather pointless, I've seen desktops with 3 gig and they have 2x1gig & 2x512mb sticks which makes sense, I just find it wierd really, you'd be better off getting 2 matching 2 gig DDR2 laptop ram instead...

Nick

In what way will it effect preformance? Will it still be faster then running 1 2GB stick or 2 1GB sticks?

I can't afford to upgrade to 4GB of RAM (€165+VAT)...

*EDIT*

Found it...

Starting with the Intel 965 chipset, there is a new flex mode that allows asychronous memory to operate in dual channel mode up to the level of the smallest module on the bus. In this case of a 1 GB and a 2 GB chip, the full 1 GB of the 1 GB chip and the first 1 GB of the 2 GB chip will operate in dual channel mode. The last 1 GB of the 2 GB chip will be single channel.

I would not worry about the insignificant speed loss on the remaining GB at that point. You are still better with that extra GB in most situations. The only time you will ever be able to notice that speed difference is with artificial testing programs like SiSoft.

Here is a link to the description of all the memory modes directly from Intel themselves to prevent any confusion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Because the ram sticks aren't the same size the memory won't be running in dual channel. This means that the throughput will be halved compared to what it would be if the ram sticks were the same size. This is going to kill your performance.

The best thing to do is get the 3GBs. Buy a 2GB stick online and put that in instead of the 1GB stick. This will give 4GBs ram running in dual channel.

You can get a 2GB stick from shop4memory for €54. Shop around though you might find it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/ddr2-so-dimm.asp

Thats madness, dell intentionaly sellin the RAM like that but it fits their profile... Thanks for the help :D

THIS IS SPAAAARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!*

I've actually seen a few others do it as well. The reason is that vista 32bit can only recognise around 3.25 - 3.5GBs of ram. If they put 4GBs of ram into a system then people would be cursing them for not giving them the 4GBs of ram they paid for. It's a bit of a lose/lose situation. The only way around it is to install vista 64bit but I can't see this happening for a while.

*Yes, that is still funny.

In what way will it effect preformance? Will it still be faster then running 1 2GB stick or 2 1GB sticks?

I can't afford to upgrade to 4GB of RAM (€165+VAT)...
    Upgrade the RAM yourself, it doesnt cost near that price, and its a 2 min job prob less aswell

Nick

coolbeans

Can't wait for my new laptop :D

coolbeans

Can't wait for my new laptop :D

Which one did you go for in the end?

BaseIntel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2-cache)Microsoft Operating SystemGenuine Windows Vista® Business - EnglishMemory3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x1024 + 1x2048 MB)KeyboardInternal Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)Video Card256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GTHard Drive160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard DriveModem56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - Ireland/SpainOptical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW DriveWireless Networking Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-Card - EuropeShipping DocumentsEnglish Documentation with English Power CordGedis Bundle ReferenceN0115004Microsoft Application SoftwareMicrosoft® Works 8.0 - EnglishStandard WarrantyBase Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware SupportEnhanced Service Packs Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware SupportProtect your new PC No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - EnglishPower Supply90W AC AdapterBluetoothNo Bluetooth UpgradeOrder InformationVostro Laptop Order - IrelandPrimary BatteryPrimary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)Carrying CasesLarge Nylon Carry CaseDell System Media KitResource CD - contains Diagnostics and DriversColour ChoiceMatte Jet Black with 2.0 mega pixel cameraAccidental Damage SupportNo Accidental Damage SupportOnline Promotion Option for GEDIS ConfigsDell Internet Order.LCD15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display

Think I'm gettin this one, haven't completely decided yet but prolly this...

Is it a Dell Vostro model? Whats the final price for it? Good spec's on it all the same.

• Advertisement

Yeah its a Vostro. It was €775 last night but this moring it was €805. I think I can stretch a little out of my budget since its alot better then most of the machines I've been looking at for the price.

Dell offers change every Thursday alright so something msut've changed to bring it up that small bit. Still worth it for the money!

Advertisement