Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music practical

Options
  • 27-03-2004 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I'm preparing pieces for my LC practical in 2005. They range from Grades 4 to 8. I am currently at grade 8. I'm doing 6 pieces on the one instrument - therefore, it's 50% of my exam overall. I was wondering, what do they give marks for if I pick my own pieces? And what could I lose marks for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

preparing already?dats a good start, but uv been mis informed bout practicals.

there are 3 tests in lc music: listining,composing and playing.u can pick one of them as ur main mode, which means ur score in that mode is doubled
    [25% + 25% + 25%(x2)]

u play 6 songs on one instrument, and they can be any grade.there is no set list of songs, u just pick ur own! the examiner is looking for someone to play a CONCERT for them-u dont have to play 6 super complicated pieces, when u could do 2 slow jazz, 2 popular and 2 classical (for example!) if ur grade 8, u should do fine

PS u will be the first year on the new syllabus(my practical is in 3 days) so u will have it easier!!!

pss wot instrument do u play? if u have any more qs, gimme a shout!

- ciaran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i'm doing my practical on monday, and heres what i'm playing (if you're grade 8 you may know some)

Sarabande by bach (grade 6 classical)
    Blackbird – The Beatles (modern rock, accompanied by a singer)
    Etude 23 – Mauro Giuliani (grade 6 classical)
    Street Spirit – Radiohead (modern rock, with full accompyment)
    Etude in E Minor – Francisco Tarrega (grade 5 classical
    Christmas Carol – Gordon Giltrap (celtic, probably grade 4ish)

They want variety, whilest it would be nice to play 6 grade 8 classical pieces perfectly, you may not get full marks, simply because you have to show you know a variety of styles.

Definately go for a variety, that will get you better marks than 6 complicated classical pieces. As said already, you'll have no problem getting suitable pieces if you're grade 8 already. Unfortunately i'm ungraded, but i plan to take the grade 6 exam during the summer, and then (probably) jump to grade 8. :D

Anything you chose now will probably change several times before the pratical. My score kept changing til right after my mock practical. On the day of my practical, with mere hours before i went in, i had to change 2 pieces as my accompanyment vanished.

Advertisement