Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fan staying on- Inspiron 6400

• 31-01-2008 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

The fan has been coming on a lot more lately on my inspiron 6400, duo core 1.83, 2gb ram, XP media centre SP2. I am doing nothing unusual just running windows with internet explorer, maybe 6 windows open at once. Just now the fan came on right away and never went off. The laptop was in a cold room, so no way it is overheating. The CPU usage was up to 100% for a good while too, and just flicking down into the 90's. I restarted thinking the duo core might be disabled (I need to do this sometimes for a certain program). Now it is back and working fine. The internet was pretty slow, not like a connection problem, more a PC problem.

Any ideas what it could have been.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,386 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

can you see what process or program is making the cpu run at 90-100% in task manager?
    might tell you if its software thats causing the problem

if you run the machine in safe mode do you get the same problem?
    again, if it runs fine here, it looks like some driver or software is causing the problem

if the cpu is using 70-100% for long periods you should expect the laptop to get hot and the fan to be running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eolhc wrote: »
    can you see what process or program is making the cpu run at 90-100% in task manager?

Damn, I never noticed, I went in and checked if some odd program was on, but didnt pay attention to the cpu figures, never noticed them before TBH. Will do next time, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

rubadub wrote: »
    Damn, I never noticed, I went in and checked if some odd program was on, but didnt pay attention to the cpu figures, never noticed them before TBH. Will do next time, thanks.

could be a virus scanner that scans the whole system automatically at startup

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    could be a virus scanner that scans the whole system automatically at startup

I have no anti virus software and disabled all firewalls etc. I do know what you mean though, it slows my fathers to a halt, hence why I dont use it. I would rather just get a virus than suffer antivirus software!

It seems fine today

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Your laptop could be riddled with viruses and spyware. This could be what was causing the cpu to be so active. What process is taking up the most cpu usage?

• Advertisement

Your laptop could be riddled with viruses and spyware. This could be what was causing the cpu to be so active. What process is taking up the most cpu usage?

all are at zero expect system idle. I wouldn't mind software that could check it once in a while when I am not using the PC, I do not like anti-virus stuff running in the background.

Does anybody have suggestions for good antivirus/spyware software to do this, preferably free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,386 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

you could try using the online virus scanner
    definitely not a good idea to disable the firewall :(
    wouldn't be too worried about the virus scanner, as long as you don't visit any "strange" sites
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Advertisement