Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents visiting!

Options
  • 28-07-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My parents are visiting for the first time in about 5 weeks. I live in Brisbane and currently trying to put together a bit of an itinerary for them. I have two weeks booked off work to spend time with them.
    Have many others had their parents over and what did you do with them? I want them to have a holiday and have some great experiences also.
    Was considering flying up far north for 3 nights and doing the Great Barrier Reef maybe.. Also days trips to. Tangalooma, the Goldy and Sunshine Coast. Don't want it to be all about beaches though either.. Has anyone any suggestions or any travelling experiences with their own parents who have been here?

Ps now a resident as of last Tuesday! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

lippy11 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My parents are visiting for the first time in about 5 weeks. I live in Brisbane and currently trying to put together a bit of an itinerary for them. I have two weeks booked off work to spend time with them.
    Have many others had their parents over and what did you do with them? I want them to have a holiday and have some great experiences also.
    Was considering flying up far north for 3 nights and doing the Great Barrier Reef maybe.. Also days trips to. Tangalooma, the Goldy and Sunshine Coast. Don't want it to be all about beaches though either.. Has anyone any suggestions or any travelling experiences with their own parents who have been here?

Ps now a resident as of last Tuesday! :)

Congrats

Ps I know squat about Brisbane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

My mam loved Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary when she was here. Just outside of Brisbane.

She got to do the whole Koala holding thing and patting the kangaroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

lippy11 wrote: »
    My parents are visiting for the first time .. I live in Brisbane .. I have two weeks booked off work .. I want them to have a holiday and have some great experiences also.

First, congrats on the PR! :)

Second, i also know sfa 'bout brisbane.. sorry!

Third, yes, i had my dad out here in March, though he came out for 4 weeks. Staying in Adelaide, he saw some of the city here. Rode a mountain bike down mount lofty, passing through a wildlife park to see kangaroos up close. We visited wineries and beaches in SA. Spent some time in Melbourne & went to a gig at the Rod Laver arena. Then Sydney, climbed the Harbour Bridge, saw the Opera house & took a ferry to manly beach. Took a houseboat up the Murray River, drove a speed boat to a country music festival. Let him off to Perth for a few days by himself. Drove around Kangaroo Island. Anyone who says they don't know what to do hasn't looked.. :pac:

If we'd had enough time, I would've gone to Cairns for the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway aswell because i've heard it's pretty awesome. Don't underestimate the value of them seeing kangaroos up close - it makes for a memorable few hours. Obviously, this time of year, weather may be a concern? ¯\(°_o)/¯ If i was doing it again, slightly less photos, take more panoramics and videos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Daisy Hill for free koalas, there are a few there but not to cuddle. Walk through the woods to spot one sleeping in the trees.

Giffin Park (Norman Park) at sunset to see all the roosting bats set off for their nightly forage.

Mt Cootha or Mt Gravatt for the views.

Wacol prison to see plenty of kangaroos, the big ones will pose for photos just feet from your car.

Both the Botanical Gardens are great.

Zig zag the river on the river cat.

Try and catch a game at the Gabba, August 24 Lions v Fremantle is the last home match.

Plenty of Sunday markets, Manly harbour is nice and small.

Tamborine Mountain and the sky walk is worth the drive especially the views over the Gold Coast.

Southbank for a swim or the big wheel.

Suncorp to watch the Broncos. Aug 29 v the Dragons.

Coolangatta is my favourite place down the Gold Coast. Sea World is a good day out to see the sharks and feed the rays.

Climb the Storey Bridge.

Kangaroo Point park is a good spot for photos.

The Glen Hotel (Logan Road) is a decent spot for a drink and to watch the bearded dragons.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Thanks so much everyone for your replies :)

Some great suggestions!
    @woolymammoth sounds like your dad would of had a blast! That's a great itinerary :) The weather here in Brisbane should be pretty good when they are here, it's definitely warming up so thinking it could be a perfect temperature for them when they arrive.

Thank you @stefanidiotjames, I hadn't thought of a Broncos game and we will just miss the Lions game unfortunately but might try get down the coast to see the Suns play maybe.
    Norman Park is only around the corner from me so I must visit Giffin Park (I had never heard of it until you mentioned it). Thanks again! :)

Cheers @batgurl, I think Lone Pine will definitely be worth the visit. :)

Thanks @zambia! Such a relief getting residency :)

Thanks guys! Have a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

You should definitely go to O'Reilly's reserve anyway (the skywalk). It's pretty spectacular. Just make sure they bring their walking shoes.

Been living in Brisbane for about 2.5 years so I'd know a few bits but not it all.

Mt. Coot-tha is probably a very good starting point. Bring them up there if you've a car and show them the view across the city & Suburbs.

Lake Wivenhoe is very nice but at just over approx. an hour away it might not be worth it just to see it. I go Kayaking there quite regularly and love it.

Gold Coast is meh.. Definitely take them up to the Sunshine Coast and to the beaches to the north. Stunning beachs.

Tangalooma.. Now thats a must. You can get a ferry across from the port. Go for a day trip if money is tight but if you stay a night there's a reasonable chance you'll get up and close to some Dolphins. Plenty of activities over there. Bribie island is another nice place to visit and not too far.

If you're looking to get away for a week or so on a holiday Whitsundays is absolutely stunning. Whitehaven Beach is worth travelling half way round the world to see. You can get flights to Hamilton island from Brisbane and can stay on the island. There's chartered cruises with itinerary for visiting whitehaven beach & Snorkelling.

The Koala Sanctuary is great. Half the price of Australia Zoo, which to be honest is average enough. But if your parents liked Steve Irwin then it's a must see.

Wellington Point is a nice spot which I've gone to before to take some photos. Nudgee beach, Manly, Redcliffe etc all have nice marinas/beach areas/bbq areas.

Head up to Mt. Glorious, if you've got a car!..

Enjoy and let us know how it went :)

Advertisement