Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hare Coursing

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 45 fourleafclover

reprazant wrote: »

c3ca8a6c3f1d38bcfcc711aadde1d279_large.jpg

Really, you can. Everyone in this picture can be made out easily.

Really??
    so what is the facial expression on the man in the left background? he is possibly less than 10 metres from the man with the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Pretty much the same as the guy on the back right of the picture.

A mixture between slightly confused and blankly staring. He has a slight frown on him as well, possibly due to what he is looking at off the picture.

I don't know, I found it pretty easy to make out everyone's expression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Ah c'mon now, we've all chased a bit of Hare around at one stage or another

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Really??
    so what is the facial expression on the man in the left background? he is possibly less than 10 metres from the man with the ball.

Here's a picture I took specifically to test these types of photos, you set the camera to F22 and everything from the grass in the foreground to the hills off in the distance is in the same focus.

reprazant wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as the guy on the back right of the picture.

A mixture between slightly confused and blankly staring. He has a slight frown on him as well, possibly due to what he is looking at off the picture.

I don't know, I found it pretty easy to make out everyone's expression.

i dont know who you are trying to fool with that answer apart from yourself, anybody reading this thread can see that you cannot see whats on this mans face.

next you will be telling me he is frowning because there is a coursing meeting on longside him and he is staring blankly at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

so now you do not know for certain if they were passed on or not?

what year would you have put on these photographs yourself? judging by spectators attire, photo aging etc?

all park coursing dogs have been muzzled since 1994, therefore the pictures you purport to have seen were not taken in ireland unless pre 1994 and if you are saying that people had grins on their faces i can assure you these images never existed as without the hare there is no coursing and the greatest cheer is always for when the hare reaches the escape safely. perhaps you should go sometime and allow yourself an educated opinion.

My focus was on what was happening to the animals not the spectators. Quite often the gardai will contact local rescues for help with animals that have been brought to their attention and the rescues will take the animals in. The dog warden can't be everywhere at once. There would be a good relationship between the charity and local gardai. The photographs were passed on, I've no idea what happened after that. At a guess I would say that the charity was cluthing at straws in the hope that someone could be identified, possibly from having a gun licence etc. I really don't know.

As I said my attention was focused mostly on what was happening to the animals not the spectators. Tell me when you go to watch hare coursing what are you watching the coursing or the crowd? Your condescending attitude really doesn't do you any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

I don't understand why you would watch a programme of your own free will if you're not deriving any enjoyment of it. Re-name it self-education or interest if you will, but it's the same thing.

Those programmes are always filmed and narrated in such a way as to get the viewer to identify with the hunter or or root for the prey. In the same way, it's much easier to anthropomorphise the hare and demonise the spectator in order to entrench a position of good vs. evil that it is to equivocate two instances of human beings' natural fascination with the macabre.

What I take from wildlife documentaries is that nature is an unstoppable force that has no time for our sentiments on its beauty or cruelty. FWIW I hate the overwrought music some of them use to manipulate the viewer.

However, it's not anthropomorphising the hare to think that human nature has the potential to rise above coursing it for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

i dont know who you are trying to fool with that answer apart from yourself, anybody reading this thread can see that you cannot see whats on this mans face.

next you will be telling me he is frowning because there is a coursing meeting on longside him and he is staring blankly at it.

I don't give a toss about the course meeting or whether those photos are real are not.

I am saying that you can take a photo where you can see the foreground and the background, which you plainly can. Scumlord has even shown an example he has taken himself which does just that. There are sports photos which show the action on the field/pitch and you can see the faces of the crowd. It can be done.

My focus was on what was happening to the animals not the spectators. Quite often the gardai will contact local rescues for help with animals that have been brought to their attention and the rescues will take the animals in. The dog warden can't be everywhere at once. There would be a good relationship between the charity and local gardai. The photographs were passed on, I've no idea what happened after that. At a guess I would say that the charity was cluthing at straws in the hope that someone could be identified, possibly from having a gun licence etc. I really don't know.

As I said my attention was focused mostly on what was happening to the animals not the spectators. Tell me when you go to watch hare coursing what are you watching the coursing or the crowd? Your condescending attitude really doesn't do you any favours.

i'm far from condescending but you have now lied for the third time - you have said that the spectators were grinning and now you seem to be changing your mind and that you were looking at what was happening and not the spectators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hm. Awful lot of posts in this thread contain allegations which, if they had attached any specific name, would see the posters landed in court on defamation charges.
    That doesn't sound like reasoned debate to me.
    It sounds like either a debate unencumbered by knowledge of the law surrounding animal welfare, or one heavily encumbered by Disney-inspired emotion.

And given that the last time I saw the head of ICABS (the group that started the poll in the OP), she was standing shoulder-to-shoulder with people like Roger Yates (served four years in the UK for conspiracy to build incendary devices for ALF at a time when they were sending them through the post to people they didn't like), I have serious misgivings about the bona fides of this entire thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Sad that this type of ignorant shít is still going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

i'm far from condescending but you have now lied for the third time - you have said that the spectators were grinning and now you seem to be changing your mind and that you were looking at what was happening and not the spectators.

Ya know what pal, you're a waste of my time. As far as you're concerned everyone, except you, is either a liar or wrong. I've better things to do with my time than be insulted by an ignorant fool. Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

Hare Coursing is a sick and contemptible abuse of animals for entertainment. It belongs in the past with bull baiting, badger baiting, hunting with dogs and other such blood sports.

I used to diplomatic about such things, "Each to their own" or something but now I have no hesitation in condemning it and the people who participate in it, and other abuses of animals solely for entertainment.
    Such torment of animals for "fun" is something I will actively oppose in the future.

Whoever posted the link to the Irish Council against Blood sports watch thread, thanks, I used the links contained within to set up a number of ongoing donations to anti blood sports groups and will be taking this up with my local TDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm curious - do the people who support this know of the background of groups like ICABS? Of their links to fairly dodgy characters?

Who gives a shit?

QE2 shook the hand of Martin Mc Guiness - does that mean she was in the IRA?

Goofy logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Reading through the amount of misinformation and sheer RUBBISH in this thread made me sick!!!

If one does not know the facts about a legal and highly regulated sport why spout false statements about it.

The use of words such a mauled and ripped to shreds show the posters ignorance relating to the sport.

The health and welfare of the hare is of the utmost importance to all Coursing Clubs in this country! Which can be seen by how well the hares are cared for, fed and inoculated and the thriving hare population in our countryside.

Perhaps people should educated themselves on what actually goes on before condemning a sport they clearly know very little about and just seem to be following the pack, some of them probably while wearing leather shoes!!

• Advertisement

QE2 shook the hand of Martin Mc Guiness - does that mean she was in the IRA?
    QE2 wasn't making donations to Sinn Fein on the basis of the handshake, to borrow your analogy.
    QE2 also wasn't accepting Sinn Fein's version of events without talking to the UUP/DUP/etc.

The start of this thread was an allegation of criminal activity (specifically article one of the Protection of Animals Act as amended, along with the laws governing hare coursing in the Wildlife Acts) against a named entity (Limerick Racecourse). It's bad enough that such allegations get slung around as though saying an identified person or group was breaking the law wasn't defamation; but to be signing up to it without knowing who you're giving your signature to is pure foolishness.

I mean, unless having your name on a file in C3 is the kind of thing that you don't worry about. But personally, I'd rather not have my name there tied to the likes of the ALF.

The start of this thread was an allegation of criminal activity

This?
    Ask Limerick Racecourse to reject hare coursing
    19 February 2013

The management of Limerick Racecourse is being asked to view footage of hares hit and mauled at the venue and stop hosting the cruel blood sport. The Irish Cup coursing meet is due to take place again at the racecourse this month. Please join our appeal now.

In February 2012, ICABS filmed hares being severely mauled at this event. See video footage below and respond to our action alert now.

Videos: Cruelty to hares at Limerick Racecourse (2012)

http://www.banbloodsports.com/ln130225.htm

ICABS are perfectly entitled to draw attention to something they (and many others) see as cruel - where is the criminality in this?

dinemo6 wrote: »
    The health and welfare of the hare is of the utmost importance to all Coursing Clubs in this country!

The lengths people go to to try and justify unnecessary cruelty to animals for entertainment in unbelievable. Even to the point of thinking they are doing the things a fcukin favour.

Its not the welfare of the animal that's of the utmost importance its the welfare of the sport. The welfare of the animals is a by product of having to fly under the radar of blatant animal abuse.

And the pack you are referring to is called civilised society. Ignorant sports like this and the ignorant people who enjoy them are just slow to catch up with the rest of us who dont go out of our way to torment animals for the sheer hell of it.

This?
    The management of Limerick Racecourse is being asked to view footage of hares hit and mauled at the venue and stop hosting the cruel blood sport.

ICABS are perfectly entitled to draw attention to something they (and many others) see as cruel - where is the criminality in this?
    But the video they'e using to make this claim has none of these things in it. The Hare doesn't get mauled or hit, it is picked up by an official as soon as the dogs caught up to it and carried off the field.

It's one thing to say the event is cruel but it doesn't help their argument to embellish their story so much. If they argued against the sport on the basis of the current rules people might listen but going into hysterics and claiming things happened which we have video evidence to prove didn't is just silly.

The bit where they say that Limerick Racecourse are supporting cruelty to animals, which would be a breach of section one of the Protection of Animals Act.

If they suspect this has happened, the correct course of action is to make a formal complaint to the AGS, not to start a petition asking them to stop being criminals.

• Advertisement

The bit where they say that Limerick Racecourse are supporting cruelty to animals, which would be a breach of section one of the Protection of Animals Act.

Are you qualified to state that they've breached any laws or are you just giving your opinion? Hare coursing is cruelty in their opinion. Some people think keeping birds in cages is cruel - since when is it against the law for a person or group to express their opinion that something, such as keeping a bird in a cage, is 'cruelty'.
    If they suspect this has happened, the correct course of action is to make a formal complaint to the AGS, not to start a petition asking them to stop being criminals.

So they've accused them of being criminals now is it? This is a campaign by them to have Limerick RC stop allowing their facilities to be used for something they (and many others) see as cruel.

Welcome to democracy and freedom in the 21st Century.

Enjoy your stay.

Its not the welfare of the animal that's of the utmost importance its the welfare of the sport.
    But if the welfare of the sport wasn't dependent on the welfare of the species, then (a) it wouldn't have been banned long ago, it would have died out when the hare went extinct after overhunting; (b) it wouldn't see the hare species benefiting as it has.

It's like pheasants. Yes, wildfowlers shoot them and eat them every year; but for every one they shoot, they raise and release more and feed them as they grow. It means the species is safe from the endangered list at the cost of a few individuals being hunted for food.

Also, the welfare of the herd (or the species) and the welfare of the individual animals aren't always in sync; for example, because of the lack of natural predators in this country, deer will breed until they exhaust the food supply and half of them starve to death that winter (this notion that animal species reach an equilibrium with their environment is correct, but it isn't a nice process in any way - it involves slow protracted indiscriminate death across the herd or species). On the other hand, a hunter shoots two or three deer and the whole herd survives. End result; more die if they're not hunted, but you don't see the hunter in Bambi being hailed as a saviour of the herd.

None of this stuff is "nice" to think about and soundbites are easier when you can reference Disney, so we rarely see balance in these discussions.

Are you qualified to state that they've breached any laws or are you just giving your opinion?
    Section one of the Protection of Animals Act says:
    1.-(1) If any person –
    (a) shall cruelly beat, kick, ill-treat, over-ride, over-drive, over-load, torture, infuriate or terrify any animal, or shall cause or procure, or, being the owner, permit any animal to be so used, or shall, by wantonly or unreasonably doing or omitting to do any act, or causing or procuring the commission or omission of any act, cause any unnecessary suffering, or, being the owner, permit any unnecessary suffering to be so caused to any animal;
    such person shall be guilty of an offence of cruelty within the meaning of this Act

Exactly how much qualification do you believe is necessary to start that the word cruelty means the world cruelty?
    So they've accused them of being criminals now is it? This is a campaign by them to have Limerick RC stop allowing their facilities to be used for something they (and many others) see as cruel.
    Which would be in breach of section one of the act as outlined above.
    Welcome to democracy and freedom in the 21st Century.
    Enjoy your stay.
    And please read the rulebook, where it says that we believe in the rule of law and not the court of public opinion as being the preferred forum to solve criminal matters. We file complaints with the police and prosecute such cases in courts of law to obtain binding judgements.

When you go to the court of public opinion, you are bypassing things like the need for evidence and logic and rational argument. If you need to do that... then perhaps we should not be listening at all.

But if the welfare of the sport wasn't dependent on the welfare of the species, then (a) it wouldn't have been banned long ago, it would have died out when the hare went extinct after overhunting; (b) it wouldn't see the hare species benefiting as it has.

It's like pheasants. Yes, wildfowlers shoot them and eat them every year; but for every one they shoot, they raise and release more and feed them as they grow. It means the species is safe from the endangered list at the cost of a few individuals being hunted for food.

This is the problem, you're confusing welfare of the species with welfare of the animal. The pheasant thats shot doesnt benefit, far from it. The Hare's welfare was never a concern to the sport, the welfare of the species might be because without hares there is no sport.

The protection of the species is only a concern to hunter/sportspeoples when it threatens the sport in which those animals are exploited. That doesnt justify it, no more than it justifies cruelty to children by allowing a certain amount to be abused to keep the paedo's away from the school yards. Its a dud argument.
    Also, the welfare of the herd (or the species) and the welfare of the individual animals aren't always in sync; for example, because of the lack of natural predators in this country, deer will breed until they exhaust the food supply and half of them starve to death that winter (this notion that animal species reach an equilibrium with their environment is correct, but it isn't a nice process in any way - it involves slow protracted indiscriminate death across the herd or species). On the other hand, a hunter shoots two or three deer and the whole herd survives. End result; more die if they're not hunted, but you don't see the hunter in Bambi being hailed as a saviour of the herd.

Keeping naturally wild herds in equilibrium so as to avoid mass suffering is not what Hare coursing does. You've drifted into a separate argument there which has no relevance to the previous one.
    None of this stuff is "nice" to think about and soundbites are easier when you can reference Disney, so we rarely see balance in these discussions.

I'm not talking about Disney characters I'm talking about unnecessary cruelty to animals and in the case of Hare coursing it is unnecessary and cruel. And no matter how much you pat yourself on the back for protecting the species the fact remains its only protected to be exploited.

Exactly how much qualification do you believe is necessary to start that the word cruelty means the world cruelty? When you go to the court of public opinion, you are bypassing things like the need for evidence and logic and rational argument. If you need to do that... then perhaps we should not be listening at all.

They have stated that they believe it is cruelty. They are entitled to believe it is cruelty. If people want to say swatting flies is cruelty they can. You're confusing being prosecuted for cruelty with an opinion on cruelty.

Also, the parameters of what is deemed cruel in a criminal sense shift. There's no reason why it wont shift to include hare terrifying for kicks and gambling coursing. If/when the day comes that hare coursing is outlawed does that mean it was never cruel? No it would mean that society's opinion on it has shifted and the law has followed accordingly.

It used to be legal to keep slaves. Opinion shifted - then it was outlawed.

That's how it works. Get used to it.

They have stated that they believe it is cruelty. They are entitled to believe it is cruelty.
    Indeed they can; it's when they start accusing people of cruelty to animals that the problem arises because that's accusing named people of a criminal act without going through the hassle of an actual prosecution and conviction in the courts, which is what the Defamation Act prohibits.
    They have the money to pursue such a conviction - they have 80-odd grand in the bank - so if it is cruelty and they have evidence, why aren't they pursuing the conviction?
    There's no reason why it wont shift to include hare coursing.
    Indeed, and if that day comes, it'll be a different legal landscape and things will change, as they have changed before.
    But that day has not yet come.
    That's how it actually works. We don't ban behaviour today on the grounds that it might be illegal in the future. And when we see criminal behaviour today, we call the Gardai.

Petitions are for calling for changes in legislation (and they have such petitions) - they are not for accusing people of illegal activity.

This is the problem, you're confusing welfare of the species with welfare of the animal.
    My entire point was based on not confusing the two and considering how one is traded off against the other. I suspect you misread my post, and reading the rest of your post just increases the strength of that suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

The lengths people go to to try and justify unnecessary cruelty to animals for entertainment in unbelievable. Even to the point of thinking they are doing the things a fcukin favour.

Its not the welfare of the animal that's of the utmost importance its the welfare of the sport. The welfare of the animals is a by product of having to fly under the radar of blatant animal abuse.

And the pack you are referring to is called civilised society. Ignorant sports like this and the ignorant people who enjoy them are just slow to catch up with the rest of us who dont go out of our way to torment animals for the sheer hell of it.

Your comment says so much about the mentality of your "pack" and I am more than happy to not be part of it!!!

Roll on Autumn!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Why don't the Irish hunting lobby become more vocal on the issue of conservation if they're so interested it in it? Its bewildering to me why they dont as they would garner a lot more public and academic support. Also conservationalists would get what they want out of it too .

ScumLord wrote: »
    The Hare doesn't get mauled or hit

It clearly does. Granted, the word mauled may be misconstrued as 'ripping to shreds' but if you look at the definition mauled also means to be treated roughly.
    mauled past participle, past tense of maul (Verb)

1. (of an animal) Wound (a person or animal) by scratching and tearing.
    2. Treat (someone or something) roughly.

I'm guessing these guys are smart enough to know what they can and can't get away with saying.

• Advertisement

My entire point was based on not confusing the two and considering how one is traded off against the other. I suspect you misread my post, and reading the rest of your post just increases the strength of that suspicion.

Your entire post was about trading one off against the other as if they can be be. Mine was about how they cant be considering they are completely different things and simply protecting a species doesnt entitle you to exploit it.

Perhaps if you weren't so keen to dismiss what I said your suspicions wouldnt be so unfounded.

Physics dictates that a larger object (dog) running into a smaller object (rabbit) is going to hurt it.

I'm not talking about Disney characters I'm talking about unnecessary cruelty to animals and in the case of Hare coursing it is unnecessary and cruel. And no matter how much you pat yourself on the back for protecting the species the fact remains its only protected to be exploited.
    If that's the case there would really need to be an alternative conservation project in place before coursing is banned. It would be Ironic is coursing was banned to protect the individual animals only for the species to go extinct.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Why don't the Irish hunting lobby become more vocal on the issue of conservation if they're so interested it in it? Its bewildering to me why they dont as they would garner a lot more public and academic support. Also conservationalists would get what they want out of it too .
    I'm sure they do but the press cherry picks the most extreme viewpoints and have no interest in a constructive public debate.
    It clearly does. Granted, the word mauled may be misconstrued as 'ripping to shreds' but if you look at the definition mauled also means to be treated roughly.

I'm guessing these guys are smart enough to know what they can and can't get away with saying.
    Ok so technically according to the definition of the word they get mauled but like you say I had an image of the word "mauled" meaning gored to death. With that definition I don't think a slight mauling is that bad in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Just saw this boards.ie main page. Is it just me that thinks it's a bit sad that the hunting crowd are trying to get more people to vote against the banning of hare coursing?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056891872

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

dinemo6 wrote: »

Your comment says so much about the mentality of your "pack" and I am more than happy to not be part of it!!!

Roll on Autumn- HARE UP!!!!!!!

Disgusting!

I've never understood it; though the attacks on hunters by the ALF and the other extremist groups would give anyone pause before objecting to what they say in public. (Incidentally, when I say attacks, I don't mean public criticism, I mean actual attacks).

And those attacks (in my mind at least) go a very long way to explaining the usual reaction of the fieldsports sector to criticism by animal welfare groups - because they've been tainted by the animal rights extremist groups they're associated with. Oddly, most people in fieldsports believe strongly in animal welfare. It's just that there's a very distinct distinction between animal rights and animal welfare and that gets brushed over most of the time as if it was some minor philosopical point about social contracts that was best relegated to university debates, instead of being the founding principle of law and conduct that it is (and that brushing over is another mindboggling thing that I don't understand at all).

But at the end of the day, the fieldsports sector does more (in terms of money, time and effort expended) for conservation than any other group - be it state or NGO. And that's not something people tend to know, but that doesn't make it any less true.

If that's the case there would really need to be an alternative conservation project in place before coursing is banned. It would be Ironic is coursing was banned to protect the individual animals only for the species to go extinct.

I'm sure they do but the press cherry picks the most extreme viewpoints and have no interest in a constructive public debate.

Ok so technically according to the definition of the word they get mauled but like you say I had an image of the word "mauled" meaning gored to death. With that definition I don't think a slight mauling is that bad in the grand scheme of things.

They dont deal with conservationalists. A few hunters who post here do but the hunting lobby in general dont and dont care, unlike the American hunting lobby for example. That's why im skeptical about Irish hunting groups to be honest.

Just saw this boards.ie main page. Is it just me that thinks it's a bit sad that the hunting crowd are trying to get more people to vote against the banning of hare coursing?

Is it a problem that they have a chance to vote on something that affects them directly?

Your entire post was about trading one off against the other as if they can be be.
    But they are, every day, in every species, ours included (what, you think that capitalism and communism aren't different tradeoffs between the welfare of the individual and the welfare of the herd?). So the idea that they cannot be traded off is one I would see as self-evidently false.

• Advertisement

Ok so technically according to the definition of the word they get mauled but like you say I had an image of the word "mauled" meaning gored to death.

I agree that the language is a bit emotive but I guess that's the nature of trying to garner support and influence public opinion. In this case I think using the word 'mauled' devalues the anti-hare coursing argument as people might find it misleading.

But they are, every day, in every species, ours included (what, you think that capitalism and communism aren't different tradeoffs between the welfare of the individual and the welfare of the herd?). So the idea that they cannot be traded off is one I would see as self-evidently false.

I'm not sure you're understanding of politics is up to much, I'm not aware of any trade off between the welfare of the herd at the expense of the protection of the rights of individuals not to be subjected to unnecessary cruelty which is what you're trying to justify in relation to animals. Communism and Capitalism differ in the priority of monetary well being not what you're on about.

And to add, even if there was a trade off in some way how does that justify that same thing in relation everything else? I'm arguing justification here not that it is impossible to have such a trade off. Any trade off in societal terms would be a breach of an individuals basic human rights. It cant be justified, I dare say you wouldnt even attempt to justify it. So how is it perfectly fine in relation to animals ?

I agree that the language is a bit emotive but I guess that's the nature of trying to garner support and influence public opinion. In this case I think using the word 'mauled' devalues the anti-hare coursing argument as people might find it misleading.

It's a lot more serious than a mere inflection or idiom - they're accusing a named company of acts which are illegal. That's not something you do in a petition - it's something you do when swearing out a complaint to the Gardai to bring about a prosecution.

There's a right way and a wrong way to change things in society that you don't agree with. The right way is to lobby TDs and seek changes in the law, and to garner support amongst the population for those changes.

But that's not what this is; this is targeting a specific person or company and accusing them of breaking the law. It's not legal and it's not moral, any more than ALF sending incendiary devices to people through the post is, or vandalising property is, or releasing highly disruptive non-native predators into the local ecosystem is.

I'm not aware of any trade off between the welfare of the herd at the expense of the protection of the rights of individuals not to be subjected to unnecessary cruelty
    You've added that part in bold there to my actual point, which is why you're not aware of such a tradeoff (though there are those who would argue that a system which ensures that some will always have more than others to the point of creating poverty and hunger was a form of unnecessary cruelty, our legislators included - that's the reason for social welfare, after all).
    Any trade off in societal terms would be a breach of an individuals basic human rights.
    So how is it perfectly fine in relation to animals ?
    Because animals don't have rights.

And that's the deep distinction between animal welfare (which is what all of our laws are based on) and animal rights (which no country uses as a basis for law because it's not possible to have a legal system like that).

I'm not sure you're understanding of politics is up to much, I'm not aware of any trade off between the welfare of the herd at the expense of the protection of the rights of individuals not to be subjected to unnecessary cruelty which is what you're trying to justify in relation to animals. Communism and Capitalism differ in the priority of monetary well being not what you're on about.
    Capitalism is a system of everyone for themselves, survival of the fittest, it's very focused on the individual. Communism puts the needs of the many above the needs of the few. I would have thought that was common knowledge.
    And to add, even if there was a trade off in some way how does that justify that same thing in relation everything else? I'm arguing justification here not that it is impossible to have such a trade off. Any trade off in societal terms would be a breach of an individuals basic human rights. It cant be justified, I dare say you wouldnt even attempt to justify it. So how is it perfectly fine in relation to animals ?
    There's no justification necessary it's a fact of life. In the wild the sick animal is killed by a predator for the benefit of the prey species as a whole. The predator has essentially removed that weaker animals genes from that species making them stronger. It's not nice on an individual basis but it's good for life in general. It's the exact same in human culture. If the king is taking too much from the masses they will turn.

Nature does not give one hoot for the individual, all that matters is the survival of the species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

They dont deal with conservationalists. A few hunters who post here do but the hunting lobby in general dont and dont care, unlike the American hunting lobby for example. That's why im skeptical about Irish hunting groups to be honest.

Conservation is an integral part of what hunters everywhere do.

They do not go about raping and plundering the countryside, as some would have us believe, because they know how Nature works.

Irish hunters work at parish level to protect wildlife and these type of people are do-ers, rather than talkers, so you will not hear about it a lot.

The people I am talking about might be fine clearing weeds from a pond or feeding wildlife in cold winters or planting cover for birds when tracts of the country were getting covered in concrete: but many are modest types, who don't seek publicity in local papers etc and don't ask them to go on Twitter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Would the OP care to let us know whether or not he subscribes to the beliefs of Speciesism?

You've added that part in bold there to my actual point, which is why you're not aware of such a tradeoff (though there are those who would argue that a system which ensures that some will always have more than others to the point of creating poverty and hunger was a form of unnecessary cruelty, our legislators included - that's the reason for social welfare, after all).

I didnt add it to your point at all, it is the point you were making. You mentioned Hare coursing and Pheasant shooting. Whatever about Hare coursing I'm sure even you cant try to claim that pheasant hunting which results in the shooting dead of pheasants after being scared out of their hiding place isnt cruel. The fact that its a sport means its unnecessary. You argue that hunting is a good trade off to keep the species alive so I've added nothing you havent said yourself.

Because animals don't have rights.

And that's the deep distinction between animal welfare (which is what all of our laws are based on) and animal rights (which no country uses as a basis for law because it's not possible to have a legal system like that).

Animals the same as humans have whatever rights people are willing to extend to them, the law in itself is written by people dont forget and it varies from society to society. In recent years in the western world we have seen the welfare of animals protected under law. Why do you think that happened ? Because when argued it was impossible to justify needless cruelty to animals. There was no trade off in relation to clear cut animal abuse.

In the case of certain sports they have changed it to limit the cruelty on the animals because of the changes in law. They changed to suit, the law didnt change to suit the sports so there was no trade off, just a shifting from the barbaric to the more civilised to avoid criminality.

Capitalism is a system of everyone for themselves, survival of the fittest, it's very focused on the individual. Communism puts the needs of the many above the needs of the few. I would have thought that was common knowledge.

First of all you're not describing capitalism there, capitalism is based on private ownership and so on, not survival of the fittest. The western world is capitalist yet basic human rights are protected. Its not kill or be killed ffs. They differ in terms of the control the state can have, not trade offs between human rights as was being argued.
    There's no justification necessary it's a fact of life. In the wild the sick animal is killed by a predator for the benefit of the prey species as a whole. The predator has essentially removed that weaker animals genes from that species making them stronger. It's not nice on an individual basis but it's good for life in general. It's the exact same in human culture. If the king is taking too much from the masses they will turn.

In the wild nothing, this isnt the wild, its civilised society. We cannot act as animals do in the wild, it doesnt work for us.
    Nature does not give one hoot for the individual, all that matters is the survival of the species.

And we are not nature, we are human beings capable of giving a hoot. We live by the laws of our society which prohibits us acting like animals. So this whole "nature is cruel" thing is just one more nonsense argument. People dont torment animals because nature is cruel, they do it out of ignorance.

I didnt add it to your point at all, it is the point you were making. You mentioned Hare coursing and Pheasant shooting. Whatever about Hare coursing I'm sure even you cant try to claim that pheasant hunting which results in the shooting dead of pheasants after being scared out of their hiding place isnt cruel. The fact that its a sport means its unnecessary. You argue that hunting is a good trade off to keep the species alive so I've added nothing you havent said yourself.
    ...and you've just gone and accused every wildfowler out there of breaking the Protection of Animals Act, section one.

Animals the same as humans have whatever rights people are willing to extend to them, the law in itself is written by people dont forget and it varies from society to society.
    And in no state today do animals have rights.
    And the whole point of rights is that they come with duties; you obey the law, and the law provides and protects certain rights. That's the basic, fundamental principle. Animals aren't capable of entering into that social contract, so, no rights.

Put it another way. Let's say you give animals rights. The first right, the one on which all others are based, is the right to life. So we stop killing food animals overnight. Okay, now what about the carnivores?

Do we expect animals who have neither the teeth nor the digestive tract to eat plant proteins to just lie down and die? And when the carnivores start killing animals to survive, will we arrest them or just say that animal rights only apply when looking at how animals interact with humans, in which case they're not rights at all, but something else and we should stop calling them rights.

The whole concept is so fundamentally flawed from its inception that no state has ever used it as a basis for law, nor could they ever do so.

In recent years in the western world we have seen the welfare of animals protected under law.
    Yes, welfare. Which is a completely different thing entirely. Look at the Protection of Animals Act. It's based on the concept of animal welfare - it says no unnecessary cruelty, but it has no prohibition whatsoever on food animals or animals being used to carry loads or to entertain or to be pets.
    In the case of certain sports they have changed it to limit the cruelty on the animals because of the changes in law. They changed to suit, the law didnt change to suit the sports so there was no trade off, just a shifting from the barbaric to the more civilised to avoid criminality.
    Two important points here, please note them:
    1. The law changed first. Then people followed the new law. That's how it works. Our current law is obeyed until it changes; and it currently states that what ICABS is saying with this petition is defamation of Limerick Racecourse by accusing them of breaking the law without proof. If your argument is that the law must be obeyed, then you're not only arguing my point, you're arguing against this petition and its ilk. We have a different way to change our laws; this isn't it.
    2. You say a shift from the barbaric to the civilised. I say I've seen what industrial food production in the "civilised" age looks like and frankly, I think the life lived by game animals before they are hunted is a far more humane one. And if shooting a fox is needed so we can have free range chicken instead of battery farmed chicken, then I say that's the more humane thing to do. This whole Barbarism-v-Civilisation idea is one that's rooted in ignorance of the facts (especially given what the word Barbarian actually means and what it meant in context when coined).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

1. You say a shift from the barbaric to the civilised. I say I've seen what industrial food production in the "civilised" age looks like and frankly, I think the life lived by game animals before they are hunted is a far more humane one. And if shooting a fox is needed so we can have free range chicken instead of battery farmed chicken, then I say that's the more humane thing to do. This whole Barbarism-v-Civilisation idea is one that's rooted in ignorance of the facts (especially given what the word Barbarian actually means and what it meant in context when coined).
    Another thing some people have difficulty with is that hunters actually respect what they hunt.

Hunters are not simple consumers. The Irish Red Grouse is a classic example of this, when the money to maintain their habitat disappeared along with the British landlords.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement