Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Mini PCs, Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

You won't be disappointed.

Checked out an .mkv file from a usb stick, and works perfectly
    One last question is it 2 or 4gb internal memory. They seem to be back advertising it as 4GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I streamed a couple of TV shows to my UG802 from a network share over the weekend and they worked fine so quite happy with that feature. Once I get the internet more stable, I'll be using that more. Also plugged in a 3TB external hard-drive into a usb hub I got with it and that works fine too for playing large movies etc.

I bought this air mouse + keyboard (not from that site) and its working better then I had planned. Really easy to set-up and very easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I have ordered the MELE F10 to use with my UHOST as the air mouse supplied with it could be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpCnKqiLTMM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Dazza wrote: »

I don't think so, from a little Googling it appears to be the same hardware as the 808 but is either overclocked (probably unstable as a result) from 1.2Ghz to 1.6Ghz or they are lying and it is only 1.2Ghz.

Either way it has no community at the moment so you would be better off with a MK808 and a rom from finless bob.

invest4deepvalue.com

For something with a bit more processing power ODROID have just launched the ULTRA COMPACT 1.7GHz QUAD-CORE development board for US$89 + $9 for the power supply + $30 shipping so about €100 + customs charges. It's based on the Samsung Exynos chip so no HW acceleration available in XBMC's native video player at the moment if that is your thing but otherwise it should run Linux and Android very well. Starts shipping in January.

201211251432377371.jpg

201211271521204518.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

Have a UHOST2 on the way from China (have the UHOST1A at the moment, and liked it so ordered a UHOST2).

http://www.squidoo.com/uhost2-dual-core-android-mini-pc

Will be using the MELE F10 remote with it, so can't wait until it arrives (hopefully before Xmas!!).

Zascar wrote: »
    The one that looks the best to me is the MyGica EnjoyTV 510B - has anyone ordered it yet? Will these mini pc's stream movies off my network (Shared network folders) ok or do I need to do anything to it? I'm not quite sure what xmbc is exactly to be honest, but will I need it to simply stream an avi file, or can these do it out of the box?

From the MyGica510B listing on the futeko website:
    UPDATE 30-NOV: More stock and a big announcement early next week!
    I'd guess that is going to be the availability of the dual core MyGica ATV1200. Worth keeping an eye on.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Apart form Media Consupmption SD Card Netflix etc, what do people use these for?

Zascar wrote: »
    Hey Guys, great thread, I'm currently considering an Android Mini PC. Right now I have my laptop connected to a projector in my bedroom. I use it to stream movies off my main pc via the wireless network, and also browse the web. However I was thinking of replacing the laptop with one of these Android Mini PC's. The think is I'm getting the impression that although they just 'not quite there yet'. Am I right or wrong do you think?

The one that looks the best to me is the MyGica EnjoyTV 510B - has anyone ordered it yet? Will these mini pc's stream movies off my network (Shared network folders) ok or do I need to do anything to it? I'm not quite sure what xmbc is exactly to be honest, but will I need it to simply stream an avi file, or can these do it out of the box?

I'd plan to use it with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I was thinking something like one of these:
    http://www.verbatim.com/prod/accessories/keyboards/mini-wireless-slim/
    http://www.shopping.com/Gear-Head-Gear-Head-Wireless-Mini-Keyboard-Mouse-KB3750W/info
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-4GHZ-Slim-Wireless-Keyboard-And-Optical-Mouse-Set-Combo-With-Mini-USB-Receiver-/200852248430?pt=UK_Computing_Keyboard_Mouse_Bundles&hash=item2ec3ba176e

I received the 510b so far haven't really got a chance to play around with it. You really need a good remote . Anyone found a good app for using your phone as a remote I tried a few with no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Hey guys. Thanks for the advice.
    Thinking of picking this one up : http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290826296357#ht_3498wt_1397
    Ordered one of those scart adapters for my tv last week . From China so could be a while :/

Tango One wrote: »
    I received the 510b so far haven't really got a chance to play around with it. You really need a good remote . Anyone found a good app for using your phone as a remote I tried a few with no luck.

http://dx.com/p/mele-f10-fly-mouse-3-in-1-2-4ghz-wireless-air-mouse-keyboard-remote-control-black-128312

A good remote. Am using this one with my UHOST at the moment and it is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

One last question is it 2 or 4gb internal memory. They seem to be back advertising it as 4GB.

Sorry only getting to this now tango, it was only 2gbp but he threw in an 8gbp micro sd, how u finding it so far?

Looking forward to the weekend now and getting xbmc properly set up

Kinda left it there till I get a proper remote with a keyboard and mouse. What are you using to control the box?. It seems to have had a price drop and the internal memory is back to 4GB on there site.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Anybody get any type of Android box or stick from HongKongGeek. Im getting a Tablet for my brother from there and getting myself the tv set-up.
    Are the boxes better than the dongle's because there is a bit of price difference. I'm willing to pay the extra for a really good Wifi connection and at least have a dual core, 1g ram. I was going to get the mk808 but they dont seem to have it.. Is the MK802 III the same thing?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anybody get any type of Android box or stick from HongKongGeek. Im getting a Tablet for my brother from there and getting myself the tv set-up.
    Are the boxes better than the dongle's because there is a bit of price difference. I'm willing to pay the extra for a really good Wifi connection and at least have a dual core, 1g ram. I was going to get the mk808 but they dont seem to have it.. Is the MK802 III the same thing?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers..
    No. MK808 is not a mk802lll, the rk3066 and mk808 are good codes to watch for imo, I picked up a tablet 10 off ebay with the mk808 dual core chip and it's reasonably fast, much better than the A10s or mk 802 or any of the other misleading names out there many of which are over clocked older single processor chips.
    The tablet was 150 euro and the guy was based in Ireland so no worries with tax. I am chasing him for two more. Had to add an msd card 32gb as they only have 8GB on board but now it has 40, the card was only 20 euro. It was not for me a guy in work is using it and he dies not push things like I would so I can't fully vouch for them, but he wants two for his kids.

Thanks Stoner.

The amount of Android tablets and mini PC's is crazy..! Lost from looking through them. I see that the mk802 III has the rk3066 chip so that's grand. MK802 III What I'm worried about though is the Wifi connectivity.. I think I'll hold out the weekend and root out as much as i can about them.

It seems like all these stick have wifi problems even the newer ones with dual antennas probably as a result of stuffing everything into a small space causing interference to the electronics.

Seems people are having success in fitting dual external antennas and placing paper inside the case to prevent contact between the parts.

If you don't need the absolute small size of the stick you would be better going for a set top box like this one, it will also give you the option of a wired connection which should be more stable for streaming media. (There is a dual core version expected soon but no sign of it yet.)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

My ug802 wifi is ok, the biggest problem is when you try and stick them behind the electromagnetically shielded fortress that is a modern tv.

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »

If you don't need the absolute small size of the stick you would be better going for a set top box like this one, it will also give you the option of a wired connection which should be more stable for streaming media. (There is a dual core version expected soon but no sign of it yet.)

The size of the box or stick is no issue for me anyway. I don't really get how the sticks pack a better processor and more ram than the boxes though. I'd rather a box that had a couple of usb connections and a wired internet connection/wifi option built in. I'll be holdin out another few weeks, no android TV for christmas though...booo...

Bit of a tip don't update busybox if you have a 510b it pretty much bricks the box. I'm waiting on an answer from the manufacturer hopefully they have a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TheLastMile

Hey . What do people think of this one?
    here
    Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hey . What do people think of this one?
    here
    Thanks
    I bought one last month and I love it, no WiFi or overheating problems either. Left it running movies for 5 hours and it was still not warm.

€70 sounds awfully priced, I got mine for around €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Bit of a tip don't update busybox if you have a 510b it pretty much bricks the box. I'm waiting on an answer from the manufacturer hopefully they have a fix.

Thanks for that. Have one coming tomorrow and would of tried to update busybox had I not seen this!

Limericks wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Have one coming tomorrow and would of tried to update busybox had I not seen this!
    There is a fix for it thankfully.
    http://www.futeko.com/forum/index.php?id=5769

• Advertisement

There is a fix for it thankfully.
    http://www.futeko.com/forum/index.php?id=5769

Ahhh that's good. Did you manage to update busybox after getting it back working?

Also it says on the site it is a 4gb internal memory unit but I received a 2gb unit. I emailed them and expect a reply tomorrow

Also anyone who is getting one (510b) note that the included remote is not very good. I recommend getting a third party RF remote or a wireless mouse and keyboard combo.

Haven't got a chance yet to mess around with it again. I thought the latest version was 4gig mine is 2gig but they sent a free sd card with it.

I'm trying to get droidmote working with it. It looks like a good alternative to buying a remote.

Haven't got a chance yet to mess around with it again. I thought the latest version was 4gig mine is 2gig but they sent a free sd card with it.

I'm trying to get droidmote working with it. It looks like a good alternative to buying a remote.

I am using droidmote and it does the job but I bought this as a present for the mother for xmas and she doesnt have a droid phone so useless for her.

I'll probably end up getting a keyboard/mouse for her.

Yep 2 gig version sent to me, yet to get a reply from them. Probably busy at this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I am using droidmote and it does the job but I bought this as a present for the mother for xmas and she doesnt have a droid phone so useless for her.

Yep 2 gig version sent to me, yet to get a reply from them. Probably busy at this time of the year.

A 510b for your mother?
    Are you sure this is a good present for her. I got mine yesterday and after a few hours messing with it, I don't know who I could recommend it to.
    Even with droidmote the interface is not great to use. I just don't like the idea of using a mouse for a TV interface.

Netflix doesn't work, I just get a black screen with sound - is it supposed to be able to work on these?
    It loses the wifi signal after it wakes up from sleep.
    I haven't tried installing xmbc yet but I don't know if the box has the horsepower to play any thing on it.

I'll spend some more time with it over the next week or so. Hopefully XBMC will
    improve it a little!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

A 510b for your mother?
    Are you sure this is a good present for her. I got mine yesterday and after a few hours messing with it, I don't know who I could recommend it to.
    Even with droidmote the interface is not great to use. I just don't like the idea of using a mouse for a TV interface.

Netflix doesn't work, I just get a black screen with sound - is it supposed to be able to work on these?
    I haven't tried installing xmbc yet but I don't know if the box has the horsepower to play any thing on it.

improve it a little!

There's meant to be an older version of netflix that works on these.
    search around this forum and you should find it.
    Don't use netflix myself so can't say which version it is you need.

• Advertisement

Did droidmote work straight out of the box for you?

Ste- wrote: »
    There's meant to be an older version of netflix that works on these.
    search around this forum and you should find it.
    Don't use netflix myself so can't say which version it is you need.

Here's the one that works with the MK802/808 I'd imagine it's the one you need.

invest4deepvalue.com

A 510b for your mother?

improve it a little!

Mine doesn't lose wifi after wakeup? Maybe you need to do an update to the box?

My mother will pick it up fairly fast if she uses a keyboard and mouse combo. I had ordered this: http://www.static.cdn.loopygadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Logitech-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-k400r.jpg but logitech ran out of stock and refunded me. Will probably get it after the xmas.

I'm using xbmc 12 rc1 on it and it works fine. Takes a little longer to load stuff than my PC but that is to be expected.

RE droidmote, yeah it worked right out of the box. Run the app on the 510b and then put the ip into the app on your phone and your flying it. The only problem is the home key on it doesn't actually do anything.

Strange I was getting a connection error using droidmote.

Strange I was getting a connection error using droidmote.

Did you root your box when you reinstalled the firmware?

It needs to be rooted for the server to work, the client an be ran on a non rooted phone though.

I got a connection error aswell the first time I tried to use it but now it works everytime.

Are you using the latest version from the play store? If you are using an apk from the net I don't think it will work as all that's in the net is old version. ( I couldn't find the apk for the latest version 3.0.1 so bought it outright instead of doing a test on a cracked version like i usually do before buying)

Yeah box was rooted it might of been an old version I was running. Will give it another go

Anyone got a chance to try Pivos version of xbmc it looks to have hardware decode, it may not work with the Geniatech 510b though.

Firmware
    http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=669
    XBMC Android
    http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=847

XBMC Linux
    http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2009

Anyone got a chance to try Pivos version of xbmc it looks to have hardware decode, it may not work with the Geniatech 510b though.

Firmware
    http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=669
    XBMC Android
    http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=847

XBMC Linux
    http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2009

I'd suggest checking with Futeko, the 510b is the exact same unit as the Pivos XIOS DS M3 both made by Geniatech, but I think Pivos were getting pissed off with everyone using their firmware in products other than their own and I read somewhere that they were going to put some sort of lock on it so that it would only load on boxes with their serial number.

Not sure if that has happened or just a tall story, if it has then the firmware won't load but I'd expect the Pivos specific XBMC should load and be tailored exactly for the equipment in the 510B.

invest4deepvalue.com

It looks like they added some build prop check to it when flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

One question. Plugin a smartphone example the S3 to the tv wouldn't that be the same as one of this mini pc's?

• Advertisement

ldr wrote: »
    One question. Plugin a smartphone example the S3 to the tv wouldn't that be the same as one of this mini pc's?
    It would be better, the s3 has a better processor. The HTC one x has too. I've run bench checks on the Mk808 vs both of these phones and they comprehensively beat the dual core processor with their operational 4 cores etc.

But these things are only 50 euro plus with the remote they are handy and you can keep your phone with you, but imho you are correct they will give you no more functionality than a phone. The s2 would be closer to the Mk808

Anyone getting a decent signal from a usb to ethernet unit on the Mk808 808 if so what are you using.

Hi Stoner,

Few quick questions:

1) What flash player do you have installed on the MK808?
    2) What play store region you set to?
    3) Have you got rte player up and running?

Cheers
    Very sorry for the delay.
    I'm using dolphin with a flash plug in is working reasonably well with Rte player. I'm open to your suggestions for improvements though as I've had to force it closed a couple of times, I got the flash apk online and still have it.

I did not mess with any play store regions so I assume I am just set to Ireland inherited from my Gmail account login details.

Just saw this posted over in Bargain Alerts..

Deal Extreme currently have the Uhost U2 for only US$20.50 delivered (about €16).

Very cheap stick for anyone who wants to try one out.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Just saw this posted over in Bargain Alerts..

Deal Extreme currently have the Uhost U2 for only US$20.50 delivered (about €16).

Very cheap stick for anyone who wants to try one out.

Good price alright but that is NOT actually a UHOST U2. It is the U1A that they have in the pictures. The UHOST U2 has 2 full size USB slots, and has a HDMI socket rather than the HDMI plug that the Uhost U1A uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Got mine MK802 finally yeeii

Ordered in september from DX.com, check page 3 i think in this thread :D

got it 2 days ago, never had any order lost that badly before :( but me happy now.. amazing that €60 PC works fine straight out of the box.

I think it has G Wlan since it's not as good as my N devices in the same room but should be grand after sticking a Wlan repetitor into wall socket nearby.

So after a few weeks of messing about with the 510b I'm ready to sell it. I really can't see a proper use case for this device. The interface is terrible, xbmc still doesn't work. The official builds don't do hardware decoding and the builds that do keep crashing when I try to play any video.
    None of the other video apps play proper full screen video, I'm always left with the android soft buttons in "hide mode".
    I could see a use for a skinned for TV android box.

But at the moment as much as it pains me to say, I still think a hacked apple TV 2nd gen is the best all round device for this type of stuff and I already have 2 of them!

I'll probably sell it on adverts and keep an eye on the development of these boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

So after a few weeks of messing about with the 510b I'm ready to sell it. I really can't see a proper use case for this device. The interface is terrible, xbmc still doesn't work. The official builds don't do hardware decoding and the builds that do keep crashing when I try to play any video.
    None of the other video apps play proper full screen video, I'm always left with the android soft buttons in "hide mode".
    I could see a use for a skinned for TV android box.

But at the moment as much as it pains me to say, I still think a hacked apple TV 2nd gen is the best all round device for this type of stuff and I already have 2 of them!

I'll probably sell it on adverts and keep an eye on the development of these boxes.

Can a 2nd gen Apple TV be bought for anywhere near the price. Would have thought there would be a massive price difference between the two but its not something I know much about.

dooferoaks wrote: »

Can a 2nd gen Apple TV be bought for anywhere near the price. Would have thought there would be a massive price difference between the two but its not something I know much about.

No a 2nd gen apple TV now sells for more than a 3rd gen. They were originally 100 quid new but I've seen them on eBay for more than twice that these days. That's because they can be hacked A third gen is still 100 new but you can't hack them yet.
    At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Anyone have experience with the Neo G4?
    http://dx.com/p/161085

Advertisement