Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Mini PCs, Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't have one of these, but considering it, just don't know what one to go for!

With regard to streaming, I'd recommend the Emit app. Works ridiculously well over both the network, or you can enable web access that works via a pin code (so no dynamic dns required) and for extra security you can password protect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats the best one of these boxes to get for XBMC lads,

im thinking of replacing my atv2 eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I've just got my UG802, a vast improvement on the MK802 no doubt. I still need to find a usable way to control it tho :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I've just got my UG802, a vast improvement on the MK802 no doubt. I still need to find a usable way to control it tho :/

I have one of these which I'm hoping will work:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboards/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400

Very handy design, sadly missing some media buttons which would have made it perfect.

TPD wrote: »
    I have one of these which I'm hoping will work:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboards/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400

Very handy design, sadly missing some media buttons which would have made it perfect.

I actually have a dinovo mini that works with it but i'm not convinced by mouse control although that looks to have a better thumbpad. For a media player i think i want a good handheld remote.

This is the same problem i had when i first got a "proper" computer connected to the tv and the reason i have numerous keyboards and remote control things lying around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

anywhere in ireland that sells these would really like one ... anyone ordered from geekbuying? whats it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I ordered one of these, as you say it looks a good improvement over the MK802. Seen a few videos of it streaming movies etc and looks to do the job.

Ordered Gyroscope Wireless Air Fly Mouse+Keyboard to control it. Seen it in a few videos and looks to do the job. More details here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Cyrus wrote: »
    whats the best one of these boxes to get for XBMC lads,

im thinking of replacing my atv2 eventually

If you want it for XBMC then you should get one with one of the AMlogic 8726 chip family.

This is because that is what the Pivos Xios is based on and Pivos is the company sponsoring the development of Android XBMC and AmLogic have released the source code for these chips to allow full hardware acceleration in XBMC.

That is what the G box Dyno and G box Midnight are based on.

The A22 from Pandawill is to the best of my knowledge the exact same as the G Box Dyno and costs $55 delivered (+ customs charges if you are unlucky).

And the GV13 that Tango One linked to above looks like it is the same as the G Box Midnight.

The biggest OEM producer of AmLogic based android sticks and set top boxes is Geniatech they produce the Xios for Pivos for example.

The are just rolling out some versions based on the dual core AmLogic chip which are the ones to go for IMO.

The stick is the ATV120 and the set top box is the ATV1200, there is also the ATV1600 version of the set top box which has HDMI pass through.

It's hard to find any of the dual core versions at a good price yet but they should be appearing under multiple different brand names soon.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Do-more wrote: »
    If you want it for XBMC then you should get one with one of the AMlogic 8726 chip family.

This is because that is what the Pivos Xios is based on and Pivos is the company sponsoring the development of Android XBMC and AmLogic have released the source code for these chips to allow full hardware acceleration in XBMC.

That is what the G box Dyno and G box Midnight are based on.

The A22 from Pandawill is to the best of my knowledge the exact same as the G Box Dyno and costs $55 delivered (+ customs charges if you are unlucky).

And the GV13 that Tango One linked to above looks like it is the same as the G Box Midnight.

The biggest OEM producer of AmLogic based android sticks and set top boxes is Geniatech they produce the Xios for Pivos for example.

The are just rolling out some versions based on the dual core AmLogic chip which are the ones to go for IMO.

The stick is the ATV120 and the set top box is the ATV1200, there is also the ATV1600 version of the set top box which has HDMI pass through.

It's hard to find any of the dual core versions at a good price yet but they should be appearing under multiple different brand names soon.

some great info, thank you, and you are rights, its xbmc that interests me most

are there any android apps yet that allow you to control remotely?

the one thing the atv2 has licked is the remote

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    are there any android apps yet that allow you to control remotely?

the one thing the atv2 has licked is the remote

I jumped in too early and bought an MK802 before I realised it's short comings in relation to XBMC, so I have just been doing the research before I buy something else and therefore have no practical experience with XBMC.

If you have an Android phone or tablet you can probably use an app called Droidmote but check first if the stick you buy is compatible but I think most are.

There are also various different fly mouse + keyboard remote controls like the one that balkieb2002 linked to above that seem to work well.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

Might go for a GV-13 seems to be not too bad on price but wonder will it be easy to get firmware updates.

edit:
    Seems to be available under a few names
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-Android-4-0-Google-Internet-TV-Box-with-Amlogic-8726-M3-Cortex-A9-1/613484_613059048.html

And it looks like you might be able to get custom roms for it too
    http://androidforums.com/google-tv/530964-android-2-3-4-0-wifi-internet-hd-1080p-hdmi-google-tv-box-arm-cortex-a9-firmware-22.html#post4879387

There is a thread on the XBMC forum for that "Smart TV box".

Also a long thread for the G-box Midnight.

It appears that you can install the G-box firmware on the Smart TV box, and G-box have pretty frequent updates.

Let us know how you get on, I am in no rush so I think I will wait for the dual core set top boxes to hit the market at a reasonable price.

invest4deepvalue.com

I emailed Futeko in the UK today as they are now stocking the MyGica 510B made by Geniatech to ask them about the dual core ATV1200. They replied that it hasn't entered production yet but they will have it as soon as it does, they estimated that they should have it on sale in about a month. No details on price yet.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

hi, looking for some advice if anyone has one of these. I'm looking to use one for console emulation - how do they hold up? Particularly the MK802 II? Or any other model ye could recommend?

Mainly looking to play old NES/SNES/Megadrive, maybe even N64, Psone if possible! anyone have expereince with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

pasta-solo wrote: »
    hi, looking for some advice if anyone has one of these. I'm looking to use one for console emulation - how do they hold up? Particularly the MK802 II? Or any other model ye could recommend?

Mainly looking to play old NES/SNES/Megadrive, maybe even N64, Psone if possible! anyone have expereince with this?
    the one im using has better processing power than the galaxy s3 afaik and that can run N64 games (the s3), so im guessing it shouldnt be an issue...
    controller or whatever might be, as there is only one usb slot on the one i have.
    im only using netflix mainly on it tbh. had been hoping for more, but i dunno what i was hoping for at the same time :P
    its handy for a few little things like that. i wud prefer a better mouse and keyboard is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

kenyard wrote: »
    the one im using has better processing power than the galaxy s3 afaik and that can run N64 games (the s3), so im guessing it shouldnt be an issue...
    controller or whatever might be, as there is only one usb slot on the one i have.
    im only using netflix mainly on it tbh. had been hoping for more, but i dunno what i was hoping for at the same time :P
    its handy for a few little things like that. i wud prefer a better mouse and keyboard is all

Which one are you using? The S3 is quadcore and I think the best of the sticks are dualcore at the moment. I've ordered an MK808 as that seems to be the most powerful at the moment, it's dualcore

The ODROID-X development board (à la raspberry pi) is available for $129 which has a quad core Cortex A9 processor but I have no idea what it runs like.

invest4deepvalue.com

I just installed these emulators on my UG802 and they seem to be running fine.

Trying to control mario kart 64 from my dinovo mini isn't going so well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If you get a converter thing from eBay you can use playstation pads with the otg cable. If you don't have playstation pads you could just get usb pads and use them with the otg and a hub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

kenyard wrote: »

As been mentioned can you not just use a USB hub as that way you'll have at least 3-4 free usb slots for mouse/keyboard/controller/hd etc
    I just installed these emulators on my UG802 and they seem to be running fine.

Trying to control mario kart 64 from my dinovo mini isn't going so well...

Cheers for the links. I have a UG802 in the post so handy to know.
    Any other good applications you have installed? Have you changed the default launcher as the default one doesn't look great.

Does the N64 work ok? Work as good as a PC Emu like Project64?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

my issue with the ug802 is wireless its very poor. as an emulator it should be fine though.

i looked into possible other launchers. there are others available. i hafnt done anything about that just yet. also was hard to find info on. i just read a post somewhere of someone using one other than default.
    the default has 2-3 links to chinese releated stuff which is kinda annoying. :)

Cheers for the links. I have a UG802 in the post so handy to know.
    Any other good applications you have installed? Have you changed the default launcher as the default one doesn't look great.

Does the N64 work ok? Work as good as a PC Emu like Project64?

I'm using the Finless ROM which is on v1.4 with 1.5 due soon. That has the stock launcher and a few other tweaks.

Streaming movies and youtube suffer from terrible audio sync issues which make them unusable but netflix works well.

I never used any other N64 emulator so i can't comment but after mapping a few of the keyboard buttons i was able to do a few laps on mario kart with no problems at all, even speeding up the game clock works fine.

I think i'm the only one who doesn't have wifi issues with the UG802, i find it far better than my old MK802 (mk1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TPD wrote: »
    Hi Stoner, I was wondering if you'd been playing about with the device. How'd you find it?

I'm heading to the states tomorrow, thinking of picking one up (placed a bid already) when I'm there. Basically just want it for an easy interface for web browsing and watching shows from a usb hard drive for the parents.

Sorry I missed this, I never got one, my friend left it a bit late and for a period of time the units went up to $999 each, they are back to previous values now though.

I've yet to reorder, it's turning into a watch this space thread, I know as soon as I buy one a hex core unit will arrive for half the amount :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I just bought a UG802, i'll report back on its performance as soon as I've tried it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Stoner wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this, I never got one, my friend left it a bit late and for a period of time the units went up to $999 each, they are back to previous values now though.

I've yet to reorder, it's turning into a watch this space thread, I know as soon as I buy one a hex core unit will arrive for half the amount :eek:

I've mine back with me from america, played with it for a few minutes last night. They have included a quite tacky launcher, which I think I'll be getting rid of. The remote control doesn't feel very nice either. Think I'll set XBMC to run at launch and just use that.

ordered this yesterday,
    http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00041.php

if I'll let you know too how i get on with it.

ordered this yesterday,
    http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00041.php

if I'll let you know too how i get on with it.

Did you order the air mouse for it as well?

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »

Did you order the air mouse for it as well?
    No just the box, it has a remote ill try that, I have a Nexus 7 and android phone that I'll try using as a keyboard, I already use the phone as a keyboard for my win 7 pc, it works over WiFi I could never get a decent remote keyboard to work for me anyway.

• Advertisement

No just the box, it has a remote ill try that, I have a Nexus 7 and android phone that I'll try using as a keyboard, I already use the phone as a keyboard for my win 7 pc, it works over WiFi I could never get a decent remote keyboard to work for me anyway.

You'll be grand so, you can probably use droidmote from the N7 or phone and have full swipe control.

Oval Elephant are now taking pre-orders on the dual core ATV1200 set top box @ US$99.99. Due to ship in 2 weeks time they say. I will probably go for it but will wait to see some user feedback on it first.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement