Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I guess we'll see the proof that peoples concern was genuine, and not just public bandwagon hopping, in the huge sudden reduction of gay jokes and eradication of words like fggot. A huge drop in such behavior will be seen in society.
    "It'll only be sincere if homophobic slurs disappear from language" - ah come on, that's just TERRIBLE arguing. There are still people against gay marriage, who campaigned against it and voted no.
    The weird leaps of logic and strawclutching today...
    cause all those political parties with their yes posters and all those sudden supporters of the gay community on twitter and facebook were all genuine.

yep.
    Yeh, absolutely. Why should people be going on about something 365 days a year in order to be sincere about it?

Bizarre bizarre stuff...

Again, just seems a case from you of "I don't care/am opposed, therefore nobody else could possibly be sincere if they don't think the way I do."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I think steak is over-rated. It is a bland meat. Pork is much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

"It'll only be sincere if homophobic slurs disappear from language" - ah come on, that's just TERRIBLE arguing. There are still people against gay marriage, who campaigned against it and voted no.
    The weird leaps of logic and strawclutching today...

Yeh, absolutely. Why should people be going on about something 365 days a year in order to be sincere about it?

Bizarre bizarre stuff...

Again, just seems a case from you of "I don't care/am opposed, therefore nobody else could possibly be sincere if they don't think the way I do."

and whats your reasoning. "all those people were genuinely concerned and there was no self promotion going on"

please, dont be so naive.

heres what you'll see 1 month from now when the dust has settled - those people on social media who were wearing a rainbow beanie and partying with the cool kids will still have 0 openly gay friends and will be doing the same old gay jokes and calling each other fags etc.

do you remember a thing called 'planking' or 'owling' or deaths from neknomination, the tragedy that was x-worx jeans or the evil that was disco dancing. All those cool kids who took up smoking with their 5 euro weekly allowance.

People will do anything to fit in even if its fatal to their life or an unforgivable crime against fashion.

Do you really think they wouldn't get 'right on' for a political movement for a week or two?

... and then post their hippness and down-ness with the group for all the world to see on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here there's a whole thread for this Same Sex Marriage debate, thought the whole point of this thread was that you could give an unpopular opinion without it being scrutinised to the last detail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Ross and Rachel were a terrible couple. There I said it, been holding that one for fecking years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Yes, self absorbed. People are affected by things that affect their children, siblings, friends, cousins, uncles, aunts, sometimes even parents (yes or no, there are children of gay people and always will be) and others close to them.
    I like how you skipped this part of what I said:
    I'm not saying the marriage thing isn't valid. Only that it was blown way out of proportion.
    It affects such a small proportion of the country, and yet is has gotten more media attention than far more important stories. That's my main gripe. And I don't think the state should have anything to do with marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Hey guys do you know that there's already a same sex marriage thread ? No need to hijack this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The fact that the marriage referendum passed so decisively yet the presidential referendum failed proves that most yes voters for the marriage referendum never thought about their vote on any meaningful level because if they did the presidential referendum should have been passed.

Logic appears to have been ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The fact that the marriage referendum passed so decisively yet the presidential referendum failed proves that most yes voters for the marriage referendum never thought about their vote on any meaningful level because if they did the presidential referendum should have been passed.

A head of State needs to have a range of life experience and a bit of gravitas, not some some 20 something year old punk muppet. I'm 26 myself and I was glad to to this defeated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Ah, the old "If you don't agree with me it's because you're stupid" argument. :rolleyes:

Personally, I believe even someone at 34 years of age has too little life experience to represent their country in what is effectively a ceremonial role. If the referendum proposed to raise to age to 40, I probably would have voted "Yes".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A head of State needs to have a range of life experience and a bit of gravitas, not some some 20 something year old punk muppet. I'm 26 myself and I was glad to to this defeated.

Allowing a 21 year old to run still leaves them with the challenge of getting elected so I doubt we'd end up with a jedward as president. Gravitas often grows with age but age doesn't necessarily guarantee it, there's plenty of middle aged muppets out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Does that just apply to head of state or all persons who represent the country in a wider setting?

You can become a TD (and Taoiseach) at 21. It seems like there is a disconnect where what is a mostly ceremonial role has a higher age limit compared to a role that has a far greater day to day impact on our lives.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Ah, the old "If you don't agree with me it's because you're stupid" argument. :rolleyes:

Personally, I believe even someone at 34 years of age has too little life experience to represent their country in what is effectively a ceremonial role. If the referendum proposed to raise to age to 40, I probably would have voted "Yes".

Give me a logical reason then. The current limit is age discriminatory. There vast majority of over 35s have no experience necessary for being a president, the vast majority of 50 year olds have no experience but can still ATTEMPT to run (you also need the backing of 4 local authorities or 20 TDs). The experience argument is full of holes. The marriage vote was about getting rid of unnecessary discrimination, the presidential vote was also about this but it appears logic was not the fore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I think we made a big mistake leaving the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Give me a logical reason then. The current limit is age discriminatory. There vast majority of over 35s have no experience necessary for being a president, the vast majority of 50 year olds have no experience but can still ATTEMPT to run (you also need the backing of 4 local authorities or 20 TDs). The experience argument is full of holes. The marriage vote was about getting rid of unnecessary discrimination, the presidential vote was also about this but it appears logic was not the fore.

If the 21yr old is so bright, leave them in the work force!

The age should be raised to 55, so when the president retires with 130k a year, is actually a retiring age!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Sir -

that certain people did hop upon the political bandwagon just to be perceived as "hip" and "down with the kidz" as it were.

Indeed I think a great number were simply trying to be "2 kool 4 skool".

Hip?

*Snigger*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'd agree that there was a disconnect alright between deciding upon the marriage amendment, and the presidential age amendment that wasn't entirely logical. Given that people once they reach the age of 18 are considered mature enough to have a say in the running of this country, they should also be considered mature enough to qualify to run for public office.

People are suggesting that we'd end up with Jedward through popular vote, but if that's who young people vote for, then why should that be invalidated upon account of their age, yet their approval of marriage equality is valid?

What those people are saying is that young people are a-ok to vote, but only if they vote the way those people want. They seem to be ignoring the fact that there are far more important qualifying criteria than simply the person's age or life experiences.

I think David Norris would have made a terrible Irish President, in spite of his decades of political experience. The only reason he was ever even close to becoming President, I felt anyway, was because he was gay. Not in spite of the fact that he was gay, but because of it, and that's the wrong way to assess a Presidential candidate, because that, to me at least, looks like tokenism, ignoring the fact that while the guy can talk for Ireland, he's far too immature to be a Head of State and Supreme Commander of our Defense Forces.

The age should be raised to 55, so when the president retires with 130k a year, is actually a retiring age!!

Again this is not a valid argument against the amendment. The money has nothing to do with it and the President is part of the workforce.

Again this is not a valid argument against the amendment. The money has nothing to do with it and the President is part of the workforce.

The money is the sole reason i voted against it.. Remove the pension for life and i couldn't care less if a teenager gets the job, as long as they serve the country well.

The money is the sole reason i voted against it.. Remove the pension for life and i couldn't care less if a teenager gets the job, as long as they serve the country well.

That is like voting against SSM because of your fears regarding surrogacy it has nothing to do with the actual referendum and can be dealt with separately.

• Advertisement

I think we should have an abortion referendum.

That is like voting against SSM because of your fears regarding surrogacy it has nothing to do with the actual referendum and can be dealt with separately.

How old are you?

How old are you?

Logical arguments please.

I've little more to add.. So nice talking with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I'm gonna get some backlash for this, but my unpopular opinion is that the yes vote possibly won in the end due to social media and a sort of "following the herd" type thing. I was a strong advocate for the yes side, and after seeing everyone on facebook etc being the same way I was thrilled, but it got me thinking. I'm definitely more of a follower than a leader type personality and as much as I hate to say it if everyone on social media was being just as passionate about the no side as opposed to the yes side, would it have been able to change my mind? I don't know. I'd like to think it wouldn't but then I really can't say, and that worries me about myself that I may have ended up voting yes on the day because it was "in" rather than because it was the right thing to do.

Course that's bollix because years ago I was posting pro-gay marriage videos and such on websites such as reddit etc., but then I know I'm easy to convince so if everyone and their mudder was going mental about the no side and iona wasn't demonising it through their sheer presence... I just don't know if it could have affected my vote on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

MOD

Can we keep the referendum talk in the appropriate threads please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Or you could just change the pension rules as we've already done for TDs and Ministers so they don't get to collect their pension until they are 65, just list most other workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aunty kitty

these guys are on the wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Unpopular opinions

(Or why I won't ever be allowed to be a TD - no party would be brave enough to appoint me as a candidate)

1) abolish the child benefit - if you want a child, then you do the math on supporting it first
    2) no tax credits for childcare or similar
    3) if you cannot speak, write and read English, you don't get a benefit as you are not equipped to work; temporary exception made if you are learning English and can provide proof of attendance
    4) if you are receiving the dole and cannot obtain work after six months, you are referred for additional support - interview training, cv review, additional training
    5) no additional benefits if you have further children while on benefits - if you need state help for those you already have, it's irresponsible to have more
    6) convictions result in jail time or community work, preferably picking up trash
    7) death duties threshold should be raised to €1,000,000 - you get taxed at every opportunity, to tax you when you die is the final insult
    8) benefits should be capped at minimum wage - it should never be better to be jobless
    9) part time education should be cheaper - upskilling is important to ensure people remain employable long term
    10) if you live in social housing, it should be reviewed annually - none of this 'home for life' stuff
    11) social housing for non workers shouldn't be in the centre of the city - convenient living comes at premium, and workers should be prioritised, with lower income workers such as hospital porters, cleaners etc first in line
    12) unsustainable mortgages - 90 days from first missed payment proceedings begin, 180 days repossession takes effect - no arguments; all mortgages are non recourse (the banks will be more careful about lending decisions!)
    13) failure to pay rent - evictions within 4 weeks
    14) child criminals - automatic community service the first two times; national service the third time, boys and girls
    15) foreign students (non EU) must contribute 100 hours volunteering
    16) rent controls - linked to inflation
    17) capital gains tax on residential properties - sliding scale, increasing based on number of properties owned
    18) repossessed properties must be returned to market for sale with 90 days of repossession taking effect
    19) scrap tenured academic staff - too many are 'phoning it in', while decent staff can't get a permanent position
    20) voting extended to emigrants, providing they have a current Irish passport and have returned to Ireland within the previous 3 years (so they hopefully remain engaged with Ireland and hopefully return long term)
    21) scrap stamp duty on principle private residences

I'm sure there's more but I think that's enough feathers ruffled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Abolishing child benefit full stop wouldn't work out too well for those whose partner leaves/dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

That Non EU students having to volunteer is s***e, it's commonly known that most Irish universities are kept going by the fees that Non EU nationals pay. God help us all if they decided to go somewhere else because of that requirement.

Social housing stuff is great though, it's insane that single old people are living in multi bedroom houses because "they've always been there". Social housing should be provided based on need, and need only.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    That Non EU students having to volunteer is s***e, it's commonly known that most Irish universities are kept going by the fees that Non EU nationals pay. God help us all if they decided to go somewhere else because of that requirement.

Yes, but the volume of students is a contributing factor in housing shortages.

Non EU students in the UK pay more in fees (almost double) and have to pay a security bond of £10k.

Their options if they want to study in a recognised third level institute and in English are limited. They should make a social contribution while they're here, even if it's only 'visit (befriend) the elderly'

Abolishing child benefit full stop wouldn't work out too well for those whose partner leaves/dies.

I'll possibly consider additional support if a partner or spouse dies, but if it's a relationship breakdown (or a one night of passion), both parties remain financially responsible - not the taxpayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I think we would of been a happier, more inclusive, more progressive economically and viable country if we had stayed British and continued to banish catholism. The British were right the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Willfarman wrote: »
    I think we would of been a happier, more inclusive, more progressive economically and viable country if we had stayed British and continued to banish catholism. The British were right the whole time.

Well you haven't got far to go, if you want to be British.
    Be there in an hour on Ryan Air. A progressive, economically viable, secular and as far as I know Irish airline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

How about you take your political arguments to another thread. Logically. Start one it needs be.

This is a light hearted thread.

We'd have been unhappier as we weren't happy under London, less inclusive because Britain ran Ireland (as it did Northern Ireland) like a colony, far less economically successful eventually as we wouldn't have had an IDA or lower tax rates, and "banishing Catholicism" wouldn't have worked -- not by a foreign power -- it would have made it stronger.

Also we would have been in a racist empire not some kind of progressive super liberal state. The UK isn't that now. It certainly wasn't in 1921.

We lined up up hundreds of thousand to wave flags at king George.. People weren't all unhappy with being part of the empire. We got got our independence and became more hard line Catholic than Italy. Banned divorce for ff sake.

Well you haven't got far to go, if you want to be British.
    Be there in an hour on Ryan Air. A progressive, economically viable, secular and as far as I know Irish airline.

I could of been be irish and British. As can a Scotsman. A Welshman. A gibralten. We have been brainwashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Benefits for folk addicted to drugs should have a strict timetable. You often find the cocooning by the various payments and the social welfare system is an addiction in itself.

• Advertisement

these guys are on the wrong thread.

On the wrong forum even.

I disagree!

We lined up up hundreds of thousand to wave flags at king George.. People weren't all unhappy with being part of the empire. We got got our independence and became more hard line Catholic than Italy. Banned divorce for ff sake.

The first part is irrelevant. Just like the no side, they lost. And Ireland wasn't radically different than the rest of Europe in religiousity. Ireland would have been like Northern Ireland had we stayed in the UK. A backwater of a larger political union.

There's a thread on this in politics somewhere. Ressurrct it

The first part is irrelevant. Just like the no side, they lost. And Ireland wasn't radically different than the rest of Europe in religiousity. Ireland would have been like Northern Ireland had we stayed in the UK. A backwater of a larger political union.

There's a thread on this in politics somewhere. Ressurrct it

Yours is the popular opinion in these parts. Henceforth yours is in the wrong thread not mine old chap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

People who derail threads are as*holes and should get a thread ban, especially if there are threads elsewhere specifically for the subject they want to discuss. I'm not sure how unpopular that opinion is but I'm just putting it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Local people should be prioritised for social housing and there needs to be an end to families skipping the social housing queue. I don't need social housing but it annoys me that people who have been waiting a long time on waiting lists continue to be bumped down the list because people with kids take priority.

Secondly, cap child benefit at 2 kids, no additional payments for other kids.

Third, make Rent Allowance an annually reviewed payment, if couples are in receipt of it after 12 months then they have to take part in a training scheme, currently it's too easy for the work shy to have the taxpayer pay the rent for them and once you remove rent/mortgage payments a persons biggest monthly expense is taken care of, why the hell would they go to work. Rent Allowance should only be payable for 2 years.

Last, for now, don't allow anyone's benefits to exceed what they would earn on minimum wage, regardless of how many kids they have.

People who are purposefully offensive to individuals for displaying a unpopular opinion in a thread named "unpopular opinions" and attempt to play teachers pet to mods should get a big spoon of jam.

There should be a gloryhole drilled in every confession box in the country. And no Catholic child should escape molestation from their local priest. No Catholic child should feel differant.

Mod: Banned

There should be a gloryhole drilled in every confession box in the country. And no Catholic child should escape molestation from their local priest. No Catholic child should feel differant.

:eek: Christ.

That's not an opinion, it's a sick an facetious comment. I'm sure you know better than that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement