Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1995 list price of VW Polo

Options
  • 15-07-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can suggest where I could find out what the list price of a new VW Polo 1.0L 5 door Hatchback would have been in 1995?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

google?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Fcuk all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

coolbeans wrote: »
    Fcuk all.

you reckon a car costing around EUR12k is Fcuk all:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

ollaetta wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can suggest where I could find out what the list price of a new VW Polo 1.0L 5 door Hatchback would have been in 1995?

Read it wrong, sorry. About 14000 I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A base model Golf would have been around 13,000 punts. A 1.0 polo, maybe 9.5k punts?

You could find out from newspapers and magazines. I have price lists here somewhere but they would take some finding. Closest one easily to hand is a Sunday Independent from Oct 1996 and there are some prices in it. Eg A new 1.6 CL Vento was 14,800 punts. And a demo model 96 polo was 9,200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BrianD3 wrote: »
    A base model Golf would have been around 13,000 punts. A 1.0 polo, maybe 9.5k punts?

Yep my guess too. Maybe even on the other side of £10k?

I do remember FIAT had the Punto SX (leccy windows, etc.) for sale on the "open book" price on the road for £8k and that was a lot cheaper than the competition. VW then were pricey compared to other cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I bought one the beginning of '96 (3dr) and the 5dr version was ~£9800 iirc,........300/400 dearer than the 3dr.

Just looking at the paper the 1.6 CL Vento from 1996 had 75 bhp. Miserable power output for a 1.6 saloon costing 14.8k punts. At that time Rover had a 1.4 that produced around 103 bhp but the VW was probably closer to the average at the time than the Rover was.

1 year warranty on most/all European cars then too. And service intervals of 5 or 6k miles in many cases. And abysmal passive safety.

They don't make 'em like they used to - thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

List would have been between £10k and £11k in in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Thanks everyone. BTW, Google was not much use in this case as all it brought up was loads of second hand values.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the paper the 1.6 CL Vento from 1996 had 75 bhp.

My father had that engine in his '91 Audi 80. It produced an astonishing 71BHP :D

Funny though, the engine was strong and liked to be revved, so the car never felt that slow. 0-100km/h in about 14s, top speed well over 100MPH iirc

ollaetta wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. BTW, Google was not much use in this case as all it brought up was loads of second hand values.

Aye, google doesn't work on historic Irish car prices. You could try posting in the classic car forum too, some of us nerds out there have pricelists that they can dig up and give you a definite answer :)

BTW, I'm trying not to be nosy, but why do you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

unkel wrote: »
    You could try posting in the classic car forum too, some of us nerds out there have pricelists that they can dig up and give you a definite answer :)

You could also try the online newspaper archives. While The Independent and The Irish Times charge a subscription, you can get small snapshots of pages and articles from the time that will give you a rough idea.

Just looking at the paper the 1.6 CL Vento from 1996 had 75 bhp. Miserable power output for a 1.6 saloon costing 14.8k punts. At that time Rover had a 1.4 that produced around 103 bhp but the VW was probably closer to the average at the time than the Rover was.........

That Rover 1.4 was launched in 1989 too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

RoverJames wrote: »

Only the MPI had 104bhp. the SPi was 70 or 80 IIRC.. the VW was an SPI and remember the VW 1.6 GTi of 1975 had 110bhp!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's a 6N Polo then I'd say somewhere in the region of IR£10k depending on spec. The 1.0 hadn't PAS as standard so would have been the entry level model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Right, buddy paid £11,800 for a silver 5 door with alloys and a sunroof new in 98. Paid £10,300 for his late 05 one before it. Had to text him to find out.

si_guru wrote: »
    Only the MPI had 104bhp. the SPi was 70 or 80 IIRC.. the VW was an SPI and remember the VW 1.6 GTi of 1975 had 110bhp!

The 8v SPi 1396cc was 75bhp :)

The 16v SPi 1396cc was 95bhp
    The 16v MPi 1396cc was 103bhp

The 103bhp was common in the 200/400s, they were family cars not GTis :)

Although in fairness I think the 103bhp MPi version wasn't actually available until 91 or so, I may well be mistaken though, I know the early 200/400si were SPi.

No doubt the VW 1.6GTi was impressive in 1975.

Here's the "Pint index" for 1969 to 2009 - price of a pint compared to average gross* wages. I think if a "Polo index" was produced it would show that new Polos are far more affordable now than they were in the 1990s

http://www.finfacts.ie/Private/bestprice/guinnessindex.htm

*income tax used to be high in Ireland even up to the late 90s. If average net wages were used to produce the Polo index, the trend of new cars getting more affordable over time might be more dramatic still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Gotta love the way rover could make something good from a relatively tiny budget. Fair enough the final polish wasn't there and showed afterwards on them but if they did have the funds for proper testing they'd give the best of them a run for their money.

Only time I'll admit it in an OT post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

The 8v SPi 1396cc was 75bhp :)

The 16v SPi 1396cc was 95bhp
    The 16v MPi 1396cc was 103bhp

The 103bhp was common in the 200/400s, they were family cars not GTis :)

Although in fairness I think the 103bhp MPi version wasn't actually available until 91 or so, I may well be mistaken though, I know the early 200/400si were SPi.

No doubt the VW 1.6GTi was impressive in 1975.

In 1992 my brother had a Metro GTi new.. the 104bhp one.. a lot of fun! Very underated I think.. should have been a cult classic.. then so should the MG Metro and Metro Turbo.. he one of them too... bits of gearbox often used to appear in the oil change tray! :confused:

Other Rover greats... Rover 600Ti.. Rover 420 V6... and 75 V8.

Polo... in 1997 a 1.0L was £8000 in the UK - my mum had one!

Here's the "Pint index" for 1969 to 2009

Love those kinda stats, thanks for posting :)

The price of a pint seems at odds with my own experience though, I mean €3.74 for a Guinness in booming 2006? :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote: »
    Love those kinda stats, thanks for posting :)

The price of a pint seems at odds with my own experience though, I mean €3.74 for a Guinness in booming 2006? :D:p

Its also proof drink has been getting cheaper all the way up to the last couple of year, despite all the people moaning about the price of it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Google Jato Dynamics.

These guys are the definitive motor industry info people.

Low profile for Joe Soap but they are the backbone of manufacturers/ importers price/equipment/forscasting etc.

They have a good archive.

Cheers

Advertisement