Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars from UK

• 15-07-2011 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭

Is there value in importing a car from the UK when cost of transport to Ireland and VRT are paid?

Or is it just that there is a better choice of cars?

And does anyone know any good UK sites for used cars??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

djPSB wrote: »
    Is there value in importing a car from the UK when cost of transport to Ireland and VRT are paid?

Or is it just that there is a better choice of cars?

And does anyone know any good UK sites for used cars??

Really depends of the car, shop around and see.

Sometimes it is not worth at all, especially with big engines. They are dead cheap in Ireland, most of the time.

But then again, check Pistonheads.co.uk and donedeal.ie/carzone.ie and see for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Volvos are worth importing. 2005-2008 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Generally speaking, cars in the UK are in better nick and have a better spec.

Also the quality of Garages and mechanics is much lower in Ireland, people just get stuff done to pass the NCT and thats about it.

They'd sooner duct tape on a wingmirror than replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I have my eye on a car over there at the minute..

Car costs €8,700

VRT costs €1,600

Total cost at that point = €10,300

How much more will I have to add onto this price, taking transport to Ireland etc. into consideration??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Around 600 Euro.
    Tax + Ferry.
    And a 48h insurance in UK. But most proper dealerships provide one.
    I recommend buying from cargiant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,296 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One of the main reasons to buy in the UK besides spec and condition is that it is financially viable to do so too. Paying a company to transport a car from the UK is expensive and kind of defeats that purpose. If you are unable or unwilling to make your own way across the Irish Sea and drive the car back yourself then I see no point in buying there unless it is really something special that cannot be got here.

Advertisement