Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rashers & Bacon!

Options
  • 27-02-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭

One thing that everyone comments on here in Oz is that the meat is different. This is especially true of rashers/bacon/ham imo.
    Obviously the cut is different, either way longer, or cut very short - a normal "rasher" is tricky to find. Tbf, I think that's mostly a mental thing. It's the different curing that makes the big difference. The bacon here has a much more opaque look to it. This is especially noticeable at Xmas with the Ham/Bacon joints too. They both look like they've been par-boiled before hand. Being so used to the bacon here, you almost forget what a raw floppy piece of bacon looks & feels like.

Hopefully, that is until now. I noticed last night that Coles are selling "British Style Bacon". It's cured differently, and looks basically like raw bacon. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but its the closest I've seen to real rashers without going to a specialty butcher.

(Mods: I know there's a "food" thread, I couldn't find it - but feel free to merge this over)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I prefer the bacon here, I think it is less salty than that back home. I agree though, it's a lot pinker and firmer over here than back home, which has a more raw look to it.
    Tastes pretty good though. Unlike beef sausages, which are mostly sh1te.
    Butchers own made sausages are generally the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I prefer the bacon here, I think it is less salty than that back home. I agree though, it's a lot pinker and firmer over here than back home, which has a more raw look to it.
    Tastes pretty good though. Unlike beef sausages, which are mostly sh1te.
    Butchers own made sausages are generally the way to go.
    I just check out the salt/sodium content of these verses the usual ones and Denny ones.
    Denny Rashers: 1000mg/100g
    Coles Streaky/Middle/Short: 1090mg/100g
    Coles British: 499mg/100g

So these are about half the salt content too. Another plus imo.
    I really hope they taste good after me hyping them up for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I tried them and I was nay impressed.

The British ones are far too thickly cut. They have the potential to be really nice if they sliced them a bit thinner but they taste globular and bland.

It's possible I've just become used to Aussie shortcut but I won't be getting them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Hey Mellor,

I moved out here 5 months and had the same gripe about the bacon. I stumbled across the british style bacon in Coles about a week ago and also they had "Irish Recipe" pork sausages half price as well. The british style bacon is a lot nicer than the cured stuff we've tried over here (and we've tried a few different types). I had all but given up on the hope of finding nice bacon but I'll be buying it regularly from now on. The next best thing is the coles streaky bacon (cured but a bit nicer than a lot of the other bacon we've tried).

The sausages are ok but I don't like the texture, I think its because they're frozen. Very herby. They're in the freezer section and normally something like $10-12 a bag. At half price they were ok but I wouldn't buy them again. A nice sausage is next on the list to try and find haha.

Be interested to hear what you think of the coles british style bacon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I only buy bacon from my local farmers, try a thin cut honey and Port smoked rasher in a bacon egg roll and you throw all the other supermarket rubbish in the bin.

• Advertisement

Oh should have said if you want sausages, try 'David's Larder' can be found most Saturdays at various Farmers markets inc Pymont. David is Scottish and he does great sausages and Black pudding.

Do a search on Facebook for David's Larder

Kenny_D wrote: »
    A nice sausage is next on the list to try and find haha.
    Try the British Sausage Company, the Pork flavour aren't hidden behind herbs & spices. The cumberland ones are good too.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    I only buy bacon from my local farmers, try a thin cut honey and Port smoked rasher in a bacon egg roll and you throw all the other supermarket rubbish in the bin.
    I'd go with that if there was a decent option near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Roo bangers are pretty bloody good.

I agree about the rasher situation down there, pretty diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Get some pickled pork from a butchers. Boil it up for 2-3 hours and you are set. It's like ham hock/spare ribs back home but possibly nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Roo bangers and steaks are the biz, much better than bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

The sausages are ok but I don't like the texture, I think its because they're frozen.

you sure you didn't get beef sausages? When i came out first, i used to wonder why the sausages tasted like shíte, until i bought them myself.. now, i've even converted some aussies to pork sausages only.

rashers though, i've never paid much attention to. Since i like 'em cooked pretty golden, the style of manufacture or cut doesn't bother me. The only thing i am hanging for is black pudding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

mandrake04 wrote: »

You're in Castle Hill right mandrake? Do you go into Pyrmont for the markets or is there a local one near us?

You're in Castle Hill right mandrake? Do you go into Pyrmont for the markets or is there a local one near us?

Castle Hill showground have Famers market 2nd & 4th Saturday of each month, it's gold mate. David is there on one of the outside stalls and also in the main Hall there is a butcher over in the left corner as you walk in does the bacon.

Also there's a stall does a mean bacon egg roll.

PS: the market is from about 8am to about lunch time.

Show grounds are on showground road near the old council buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

There's a good Irish butcher in Perth, McLaughlins, they do a nice black pudding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Not bacon but I got these in Malvern yesterday. Went down pretty well this morning.

IMG_0460.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

s.c wrote: »
    Not bacon but I got these in Malvern yesterday. Went down pretty well this morning.

IMG_0460.jpg

Where abouts in Malvern did you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Where abouts in Malvern did you get them?

Peter Bouchier's on Malvern Road. Near Safeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Didn't want to start a new thread, saw the Clonakilty Pudding here and taught this would be a good place to spread the news.

I have heard (unofficially) today that Clonakilty are hoping to launch their sausages here around October/November!

Others may not agree, but to me that is some of the greatest news I've ever heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ambasite

In Exile wrote: »
    D... that is some of the greatest news I've ever heard!

i hear you! Clonakilty sausages & puddings are the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Slightly different than bacon but where do you guys buy chicken fillets?

I eat a lot of chicken 2-5 fillets a day and at the moment I mostly buy them at Coles because I find the butchers more expensive, is there anywhere you can bulk buy, because compared to my local butchers at home 10 fillets/ten euro (those were the days!!) it's rather expensive.

• Advertisement

top madra wrote: »
    Slightly different than bacon but where do you guys buy chicken fillets?

I eat a lot of chicken 2-5 fillets a day and at the moment I mostly buy them at Coles because I find the butchers more expensive, is there anywhere you can bulk buy, because compared to my local butchers at home 10 fillets/ten euro (those were the days!!) it's rather expensive.
    I always hear people (mostly the H&F forum ;) ) talking about how many fillets they get for €10 or €20, but they don't seem to care that the fillets are tiny. 100-150g. Per kilo it's pretty average.

I'm usuall buy it in coles with the main shopping. The counter is cheaper than pre packed.
    I've noticed that the butchers outside (Joe's Meat Market?) have chicken on special every few weeks. $8-10/kg verses $10-12 in coles.

How big are the fillets you buy?
    300 is about normal for me, you hardly eating 5 of them.

Mellor wrote: »
    I always hear people (mostly the H&F forum ;) ) talking about how many fillets they get for €10 or €20, but they don't seem to care that the fillets are tiny. 100-150g. Per kilo it's pretty average.

I'm usuall buy it in coles with the main shopping. The counter is cheaper than pre packed.
    I've noticed that the butchers outside (Joe's Meat Market?) have chicken on special every few weeks. $8-10/kg verses $10-12 in coles.

How big are the fillets you buy?
    300 is about normal for me, you hardly eating 5 of them.

I buy the four pack, it usually has two biggish ones and two small ones, they average at about 200g.

Two for lunch every day and then again for dinner if I'm not having something else.

They're usually about $12 per Kg.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I buy the four pack, it usually has two biggish ones and two small ones, they average at about 200g.

Two for lunch every day and then again for dinner if I'm not having something else.

Can't cook anything else or just like chicken alot? :) I'm sure if you asked a butcher to do you a deal on bulk chicken then you'd get them cheaper.

The counter will be cheaper than prepacked usually. Or keep an eye on the butchers. That's about all I do.

aido79 wrote: »
    Can't cook anything else or just like chicken alot? :) I'm sure if you asked a butcher to do you a deal on bulk chicken then you'd get them cheaper.

Just eat a lot in general!!

No but it's easier make a stir fry or something for dinner and eat the same again for lunch the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

ambasite wrote: »
    i hear you! Clonakilty sausages & puddings are the best!

yes, the Clonakilty pudding is delicious. they are making it in Victoria now. charging import prices for it though. a full list of where to get it can be found here: http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/where-to-buy/australia

• Registered Users Posts: 34 observed

I buy diuble breast fillets at $5.99/kg at Menai from two butchers outside the woollies there. Max I would pay is $7.99. Tend to buy 3-4kg when they are at $5.99. 12/kg is rediculous. I always find if you check the butchers you get better deals than the supermarkets. It takes a bit of watching but it is well worth it.

observed wrote: »
    I buy diuble breast fillets at $5.99/kg at Menai from two butchers outside the woollies there. Max I would pay is $7.99. Tend to buy 3-4kg when they are at $5.99. 12/kg is rediculous. I always find if you check the butchers you get better deals than the supermarkets. It takes a bit of watching but it is well worth it.

Too bad it's a hike and a half away though.

Advertisement