Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have offer from Australia but they do not provide sponsorship

Options
  • 28-07-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have just been offered a job with a large company in Australia, but they do not offer sponsorship or relocation etc. The job I do is Technical Sales Rep and is on the current list of jobs that are required there.
    My question is, given I have a job offer, which Visa is best to apply for? Has anyone any experience with this? How long does the process take as they would want me to start within a few months.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If it's a permanent role, you could try a 189 or 190 visa.

Other options like the Working Holiday visa are going to limit you, it's very common that many companies can't or won't sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 adton84

Do you have any idea how much the whole thing would cost or how long the process would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

adton84 wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how much the whole thing would cost or how long the process would be?

You need to research it yourself, you probably going need a skills assessment etc. it's a straight forward process if you have all your ducks in a row.

If it's just yourself you would budget for $5000+, could take anything from a few weeks/months to a couple of years on an invite to apply depending on your occupation and points. After you have been invited it's a couple of months processing.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Just to add to what Mandrake has said. A job offer will have no bearing on the timeframe or whether you will be invited to apply for a visa or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

TSR is not on Schedule 1 of the SOL, nor are any states/territories nominating for TSR in 2014/15.

South Australia is nominating for ICT Sales Rep, however this presents its own additional criteria.

So, you can say that 189/190 are out of the question. Where is the company based? 187 may be an option if you will be located in Perth, Adelaide, Hobart or Darwin. Your employer does not need to enter into a Sponsorship Agreement and so doesn't have the ongoing obligations that would entail. Plus you won't need a skills assessment.

What are your employers reasons for not sponsoring anyway? Often these can be unfounded or easily addressed.

Another alternative is to look at going through an on-hire recruitment company with a Labour Agreement for IT professionals. Just beware that a lot of LA's do not provide for a pathway to permanent residence transition after 2 years.

Cheers
    Niall O'Rourke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 adton84

They are based in Melbourne. I had to turn the offer down as I simply cannot afford it and they need someone urgently.
    The company is a multinational and if they sponsor me, they'll have to start sponsoring others which they simply aren't prepared to do.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Are you eligible for a working holiday visa? If so you could start off on that visa and get the ball rolling on a more permanent visa once you get here. You would have a better start than most people on a whv if you have a job offer as soon as you land.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

adton84 wrote: »
    They are based in Melbourne. I had to turn the offer down as I simply cannot afford it and they need someone urgently.
    The company is a multinational and if they sponsor me, they'll have to start sponsoring others which they simply aren't prepared to do.
    No they wouldn't. Most likely, they just don't want to pay for cost of sponsoring people, nothing to do with sponsoring others

Advertisement