Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Mini PCs, Yay or Nay?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Well, i feel like a plank... Got my Kimdecent T21 this morning but i never bought a remote. It gives u a link to download an app for your phone (thought that's all I'll need) but i have to set up the wifi settings on the stick first. Gutted since i was waiting a month for this. Now on the hunt to find a feckin' wireless keyboard. Any cheap one's i could buy in a shop, don't really want to wait another few weeks for a delivery from Godknowswhere..

Plug a usb mouse into it and the onscreen keyboard will come up. If you don't have one you can buy one in the 2 euro shop. Then you can install the remote control apps and you can use your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Yep, I'm havin one of those days. I'm sure I could plug in a mouse, I forgot about the on screen keyboard. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Downloaded BubbleUpn last week on my phone and MK808. Basically it lets you network the two together through wifi so if you're playing something on your phone you can click 'Change renderer' and select the mini PC and it'll automatically start playing on the mini PC. I have mine hooked up to my AV Receiver so this is seriously handy for controlling music wirelessy. It also reads your entire Google Play catalogue and plays it so you can control/stream your whole music collection from your phone. Basically it works like Airplay from Apple. It works with videos etc. as well but I haven't tried that out yet. It does a whole lot of other things that I haven't investigated yet but it's definitely worth while, it's also free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Downloaded BubbleUpn last week on my phone and MK808. Basically it lets you network the two together through wifi so if you're playing something on your phone you can click 'Change renderer' and select the mini PC and it'll automatically start playing on the mini PC. I have mine hooked up to my AV Receiver so this is seriously handy for controlling music wirelessy. It also reads your entire Google Play catalogue and plays it so you can control/stream your whole music collection from your phone. Basically it works like Airplay from Apple. It works with videos etc. as well but I haven't tried that out yet. It does a whole lot of other things that I haven't investigated yet but it's definitely worth while, it's also free.

Yep, works with video as well, I have been using it for the last while as well, and is dead handy for displaying photos/video from your phone on the TV, but it also lets you stream stuff from other PCs etc. on your network to your TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What are the must have apps for these?

Finally got one today and interested in getting the most from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've picked up two MiniX Neo X5 units at last.

So far I'm very happy, the wired LAN is great
    this is it but i bought mine on ebay
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/NEO-X5-RK3066-Dual-Core-Cortex-A9-TV-Box-1GB-RAM-16GB-ROM--w--Wi-Fi---TF-Slot-XBMC-3G-Dongle-RJ45-Slot-312604.html

so is the same chips as the stick drive, its more expensive but I get the following as extra.

8GB more internal memory (it means there is more space allocated around the unit, e.g 3GB for apps)
    Bluetooth
    wired lan RJ-45 10/100
    IR port (you can program the IR signals into a better remote, some mele units have IR on them too)
    Mic Port
    Headphone port
    A power ON/Off button
    Comes with a rubbish IR remote,
    S/PDIF sound output (this will allow me to keep my old amp in use)
    3 Amp PSU not the 1Amp on the stick unit

The remote you get is muck, it came with android 4.1.1 on it even though its advertised as ICS so that saved me some time.

Now for some stuff I noticed. I could not get HW decoding working on the MK808 stick unit I figured it was the wireless hw. I have the android build of XBMC that integrates with MX player to give HW decoding, but it was choppy as reported before.

Now with this unit , using the wired connection to my NAS drive on an SMB share, if I use ES Explorer and default the video player to MX player I can play 8GB and a 14GB HD and some 3D files that I have on the NAS. I'm very happy with it, for example i have my copy of Toystory 3 as a 720p rip and it plays perfectly (4GB).

What I have yet to get working

MX player wont handle DTS audio
    I have to have the decoder setting set to HW and not HW+ decoding when using the network access, HW+ will not work over the NW and I never checked a local file (so set up the decoder settings to HW only not HW+)

XBMC, even with the NEON custom builds using MX player will not play anything over 1.5GB without being choppy, I'm sure this will be or is fixed but I dont have it addressed yet.

Over all I'm very happy with it the extra money was well spent, I still have the stick MK808 and I still love it but even thought its the same.

This is the first one of these units that I would say is actually a PC like device, some people could actually use this in their offices IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nice review,

I have the iMito MX2. Same hardware, RockChip RK3066, as the Neon, MK808B, etc.
    I'm using Finless 1.5 1080p ROM. No issues with the Android interface and you can control it using an app on your Android phone.

XBMC is very much a work in progress. I'm using the latest stagelibfright build and I'm still seeing some issues with 1080p content and lip-syncing on SD content.

If you like to mess around with things, these devices are great but are not ready for the novice end-user yet. As XBMC gets more mature on Android and the hardware specs of these devices get better, it'll be a perfect TV companion platform.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

paid?
    people pay for apps?
    pffft

• Advertisement

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    paid?
    people pay for apps?
    pffft

I heard some people download movies without paying for them though!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

eamonnq wrote: »
    I heard some people download movies without paying for them though!!

apparently you can download 100,000+ android apps too... damn pirates
    ..well as long as they cant download the milk from our cows..eh eamonn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Stoner, Have you tried this app with the X5? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockchip.remotecontrol
    Works great with G4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭ongarite

Stoner, Have you tried this app with the X5? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockchip.remotecontrol
    Works great with G4.
    Works on my iMito too, guess it works for all RK3066 based devices.

Works great with G4.
    I'll give it a go thanks, I've been using the XBMC remote as i have a number of android devices now but something like this would be great , thanks

I have a couple of the pen/stick MK808 units and I' really like to get them set up on my wired network, I've bought two adaptors so far and neither worked, I'd like 10/100 that would do me, has anyone got one of these working please? if so where did you buy it.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Sorry if this has already been answered but can I use SKY Go and Sopcast or similar on one of these devices?

Casey78 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been answered but can I use SKY Go and Sopcast or similar on one of these devices?

through XBMC, for SKY GO anyway

Stoner wrote: »
    through XBMC, for SKY GO anyway

How would I go about getting this to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

So overall of 15 pages of this thread, with €100 or less to spend, what should I buy?
    What do you recommend, I dont want to spend any time messing round with firmware etc. I just want to plug it into the telly and stream content from my pc over wifi or copy stuff to USB and play it? Do any of these have any issues with Cinavia? Neet to get rid of PS3

stream content from my pc over wifi

Wifi would appear to be an issue with most of these, so depending on how close you are to your router, results may vary widely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wifi would appear to be an issue with most of these, so depending on how close you are to your router, results may vary widely.
    This is what's holding me back from getting one of these. Hope a decent one with all the issues fixed comes out soon

Ok, if considering that wifi is not an issue or that I copy content to a USB and plug it into the system then what would ye go for?

Ok, if considering that wifi is not an issue or that I copy content to a USB and plug it into the system then what would ye go for?

I have 2 at the moment, the UhostU2 and the Measy U2C.

I like the UhostU2 as it has 2 full size USB slots and the wifi appears to be better on it, but I only have the Measy about a week now and have not had much time to play around with it but it does appear to be faster.

The UhostU2 has been sitting in a drawer since I got the Measy and the Measy has been sitting on my desk as I want to put a few movies and things onto an SD card and see how they play (in comparison to streaming from the Network).

I hope to get it connected to a USB hub and have a few other things connected to it, but I would like to be able to move it around a bit also to use the camera on it for Skype etc., so it might end up on an HDMI lead rather than being plugged directly into my switch, but if I would then end up with 3 leads coming out of it (USB to HUB, USB for power and the HDMI lead so it might end up being a mess). It would probably make more sense to use a USB webcam, and if I do that I may as well use the UHOST2 as the camera on the Measy would not be getting used.

By the time I have it sorted the way I want it I will probably have another one picked out though!!!

maybe..............just maybe................this is what I should really go for

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/735818486/2013_Newest_android_Mini_PC_Smart.html

Arrived from HK today PC RK3066 (from the same guy who made the MK802)
    Bought here: http://www.timingpower.com/rk3066-android-mini-pc (took 3 weeks to arrive)

Pi for scale:
    B96Llaf.jpg

Screens:
    4Bvfp1B.png

quo3MiE.png

lohECbS.png

0ksKawL.png

mZWyW74.png

Specs:
    Dual-core 1.6GHz Cortex A9, 1GB of RAM, 4GB (units updated to 8GB, damn) of built-in flash (and a microSD slot), WiFi in b/g/n, DLNA and Bluetooth, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, micro and full-size USB ports, HDMI port, and 3.5mm audio out.

Everything I've connected works, RF keyboard & mouse via USB dongle, Bluetooth mouse, even my USB SNES controller, streamed HD file over wireless no problem.

Downsides so far, some games don't seem supported: GTA Vice City Rayman Jungle Run, but Dark Knight Rises & GTA3 are.
    And it's rebooted a few times randomly.
    Edit: this seems to be because I was using a spare charger instead if the supplied USB cable.

Next step, get that PicUntu distro on it.
    And does anyone know a good app that will let me control it from my SGS2?
    Edit: Tablet Remote looks like the job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

You said it.
    My MK802II is under 10 feet from my (pretty lousy it has to be said) router behind one wall and it won't connect. Oddly, it get's one bar of signal, but fails repeatedly at the "Obtaining IP" step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I've got my hands on a $30 coupon for FocalPrice and am looking at getting a mini PC. I plan to put another $30~ towards getting an Android TV stick. So for best specs to fit into the price bracket I am looking at various dual core chips (ranging from 1.2 to 1,6 GHz) with 1GB RAM. Android release generally seems to be 4.0.4 for most of these although I see there ae others with 4.1.1 - Is there any benefit to either?

Also with regards to chip manufacturer, is there any benefit buying a certain chip over another. I think I read somewhere a lot of chips won't run video out at 1080p.

Here's two I am currently looking at: UG007

Measy U2A

Any comments appreciated!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Has anyone managed to get sopcast working on this? I can use it by opening up the Sopcast download but I can't get it too work with wiziwig. On the laptop all I have to do is press the sopcast link and sopcast opens up and plays the stream.
    Anyone?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You said it.
    My MK802II is under 10 feet from my (pretty lousy it has to be said) router behind one wall and it won't connect. Oddly, it get's one bar of signal, but fails repeatedly at the "Obtaining IP" step.
    Just to follow up, as I've posted elsewhere here I've got a WiFi repeater in and it's cured the pretty terrible reception I was getting from my rubbish UPC router. HD Youtube works well (through the app mind you, not the browser :confused:) and I'll test out streaming Flash video later in the week when there's something worth watching!

astrofluff wrote: »
    I've got my hands on a $30 coupon for FocalPrice and am looking at getting a mini PC. I plan to put another $30~ towards getting an Android TV stick. So for best specs to fit into the price bracket I am looking at various dual core chips (ranging from 1.2 to 1,6 GHz) with 1GB RAM. Android release generally seems to be 4.0.4 for most of these although I see there ae others with 4.1.1 - Is there any benefit to either?

Also with regards to chip manufacturer, is there any benefit buying a certain chip over another. I think I read somewhere a lot of chips won't run video out at 1080p.

Here's two I am currently looking at: UG007

Measy U2A

Any comments appreciated!
    I'd say always go for the latest version of Android.
    Your links don't work for me for some reason, and the focalprice.com site loads with no stylesheet.

Hi, anyone manage to get SKYGo working on the MK808? Probable need a new ROM or something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Would this work with the MK808?
    Thanks

Dazza wrote: »
    Would this work with the MK808?
    Thanks

Dazza that's one of those goffey eBay adds that wont open on my phone, but I have a couple if these that don't work on the mk808 by all accounts its more likely to not work. There is one guy with YouTube videos showing his working, he does not always have stock but it works out at 20 Euro delivered.
    Does it say it will work on Android, if so at what speed, I bought the minix5 just to get integrated lan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Couple of questions about the MK808B- which is mentioned on a thread in Bargain Alerts-

-Does it run over 3G?I've Sky broadband and its crap after 6pm, drops below 2mb so will this be constantly buffering on such low speeds?
    -My main TV is an older flat screen, can't see hdmi connection on it so do I need a hdmi to scart adapter? They're nearly £50 on amazon.co.uk which is way too expensive for me. Or is there a cheaper alternative/adapter?
    -Do these come already rooted?

Anyone????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'd like to buy one of these to use in hotels while travelling. They look great except I've read a lot of bad reviews about the wi-fi, and I would like to stream. Is there any of them that have Wi-Fi comparable with your average laptop? Or a wi-fi adaptor I could get?

Or would the best option be to connect a cable between my laptop and the mini PC; and bridge the connection? Anyone have experience streaming like that?

I'd like to buy one of these to use in hotels while travelling. They look great except I've read a lot of bad reviews about the wi-fi, and I would like to stream. Is there any of them that have Wi-Fi comparable with your average laptop? Or a wi-fi adaptor I could get?

Or would the best option be to connect a cable between my laptop and the mini PC; and bridge the connection? Anyone have experience streaming like that?
    My absolute bargain bin end MK802II has terrible WiFi alright. Think worse than any phone. I've a repeater about 2 metres away from it though now, so it seems to work grand. If your hotel room has its own router I'd say you'd be OK. It'll take a cabled connected too, and most hotels I've been in have one of them? Whether it'll reach the TV in the room or not is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Hi guys, any news on which is the best current Android Mini PC to run XBMC playing/streaming 720p flawlessly?

Advertisement