Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4 return to meteor

Options
  • 05-10-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi I bought an iphone 4 from a meteor store today for a birthday present. Stupidly when i got home i only then realised that it was the wrong iphone :( !

Ive heard from other people before that meteor are very strict on cutomers bringing iphones back into stores looking for their cash back and have got refused. I have the receipt and the iphone is unopened and in its original packaging.

Should i be worried here ? Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

neiler987 wrote: »
    Hi I bought an iphone 4 from a meteor store today for a birthday present. Stupidly when i got home i only then realised that it was the wrong iphone :( !

Ive heard from other people before that meteor are very strict on cutomers bringing iphones back into stores looking for their cash back and have got refused. I have the receipt and the iphone is unopened and in its original packaging.

I bought a phone for the wife from 02 - she didn't want it went back the very next day - no dice. Had to go to another store until I could track down a manager as ask them very nicely and turn on the negotiation skills a bit. I suspect most retailers in the same segment will do things in a similar way.

If you go back and spend more money I'm sure you'll have an easier time of it but they are under no obligation to assist you unless it's a stated policy. e.g. they make a promise of a 14 day money back guarantee or what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As it's unopened, there's always a chance they'll take it back. As it's a change of mind they are under no obligation to do so and thus it's a goodwill gesture you're relying on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Go back to the sore and tell them that the person selling it to you said it was the newest iphone. Say you were misled. I know its wrong but it beats being stuck with an iphone 4.

DylanII wrote: »
    Go back to the sore and tell them that the person selling it to you said it was the newest iphone. Say you were misled. I know its wrong but it beats being stuck with an iphone 4.

As an ex retail manager, who had to deal with restrictive returns policies, that would trip by bullsh*t detector and you'd get nothing. Thats just my take on it however.

One thing I will say though is if the manager is stupid enough to fall for that one you could potentially be putting someones job at risk. At the very least part-time Johnny might end up cleaning the toilet that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did you sign a contract, you have 7 days to cancel it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you look for an exchange (ie. IP4 + Cash for IP5) and that it's unopened you might have a chance, but they still have no legal obligation to help you as there is nothing physically wrong with the phone.

I fully understand them being very strict on returns policy, with so many cases of phones being stolen, or even taken apart for components, and then reassembled with cheap parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Credit act allows 7 days change of mind on Bill Pay

efb wrote: »
    Credit act allows 7 days change of mind on Bill Pay

news to me. meteor's own cooling policy is 14 days (may be different for iphone), distance selling is 7 days.

I've a sneaking suspicion that this was a straight, in store, payg purchase so none of these may apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

theteal wrote: »
    news to me. meteor's own cooling policy is 14 days (may be different for iphone), distance selling is 7 days.

I've a sneaking suspicion that this was a straight, in store, payg purchase so none of these may apply.

yeah i bought the phone cash and its pay as you go not bill pay

what about the sale of goods and supply of services act ? could this not be used in this situation

what about the sale of goods and supply of services act ? could this not be used in this situation

SOGASOS Act is for faulty goods not where there is simply a change of mind.

• Advertisement

sorry OP, nothing from sogas applies here as it's effectively a change of mind. just go in, be pleasant, appeal to the manager's reasonable nature and keep in mind that anything they can do for you will be a goodwill gesture. the worst that can happen is they say no, then just sell it on adverts, apples retain their value to a quite staggering extent so you won't be too short changed.

i've years of retail management experience behind me (it'll stay there too) and I'd always look to help someone out where reasonably possible but if they came in with an attitude they'd get a very courteous pfo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Are you changing it for another phone? They may be amenable to that. Again it's all at meteor's discretion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What phone did you actually buy, what did you pay?

Advertisement