Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landrover Freelander

• 14-07-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Been done to death I know but what do people think of this sepcific example?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Freelander/3dr/201128203344991/advert?channel=CARS

I know there's been tons written about issues they suffer from and people i've spoken to have generally heard tales of woe from owners but when I dig a little deeper there's a farily sturdy defence of the newer diesel models.

On the face of things this car seems like great value, it's almost half the price of similar alternatives - the X-Trail and Santa Fe, reasonable mileage and looks in decent nick.

So, what do people think, given that relaibility will be defintely a factor when purchasing, is it worth considering?

Comments

I know there's been tons written about issues they suffer from and people i've spoken to have generally heard tales of woe from owners but when I dig a little deeper there's a farily sturdy defence of the newer diesel models.

The early diesels were Rover L series, the tales of woe were not engine related, all the tales of woe about the 4x4, transfer box etc etc apply to that later model too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

RoverJames wrote: »
    The early diesels were Rover L series, the tales of woe were not engine related, all the tales of woe about the 4x4, transfer box etc etc apply to that later model too.

That's interesting. My better half has had the petrol '99 one for several years with no issues, and she's not afraid to put it offroad (or let me take if offroad). Hers hasn't given us any difficulties.

OP; if they're well maintained they seem to be fine. Look for a service history. Also, talk to a dealer or someone who actually has one rather than someone whose knowledge of them is based on t'internet!

They are full time 4 wheel drive, where a lot of the others come in 2 wheel guise.

If you go for petrol, watch the coolant levels like a hawk (the petrol has head gasket issues, usually coming from lack of service and lack of checking to make sure there's water in it). If it goes it isn't the most expensive of head gaskets to get sorted.

If you're tall, take it for a decent test drive, as the seats aren't designed for the long of leg for long journeys. Fine for those of average size.

In the boot there is a lockable storage area. Open it and check for any signs of water in it. The seals on the back door can start to leak, and that's where the water ends up. Not a cheap fix; usually €300-€400. A lot of the time the garages will just drill a hole in the bottom of the storage area to let the water drip out, which is fine if you don't live on a steep hill! Try not to keep electronic or water sensitive items there.

Our mechanic (Landrover) advised us that the early ones weren't great for a lot of heavy towing (fine for the average user, but not everyday heavy loads). I think that this may have improved with the facelift, but it'd be worth checking.

My better half loves her one and isn't too inclined to change it.

Best of luck if you go for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jonnysimples

Thanks for that RJ - I was pretty sure it wasn't a partiularly good idea but there's lots of positives about that type of car (for what the OH and I would be using it for anway) so i didn't want to rule it out straight away.

It's good to get feedback on different issues the car faced aside from engine issues and helps focus the mind a bit. Have being showing signs of letting the heart rule the head a little bit!

Fey! wrote: »
    That's interesting. My better half has had the petrol '99 one for several years with no issues, and she's not afraid to put it offroad (or let me take if offroad). Hers hasn't given us any difficulties.

Tales of woe won't happen to all or even most of them :)
    I just wanted to make the point that the diesels weren't problematic in either L series or BMW version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

That's a late Freelander 1 with the BMW Td4 engine, the late 5 door versions are still popular in the UK. The 3 door is much less popular, scope for a bit of haggling?

You probably know all the tales about the 4wd system but provided problems aren't ignored and tyres matched, there's nothing wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Looking at that car, it looks very dirty on the onside. Splashes on the seats and rear door. Doesn't bode well for the dealer. If putting a car on the internet, it should be at least clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

On a different but freelander related note, what year was the last model you could remove part of the roof on?

All Freelander 1 3 door models had a removable roof and rear section up to end of production in 2006. A folding soft top an option but not very common.

101sean wrote: »
    All Freelander 1 3 door models had a removable roof and rear section up to end of production in 2006. A folding soft top an option but not very common.

Right, thanks for that. Women... :rolleyes::confused: I'm assuming she'll also want the soft top one, just to be awkward!

It wasn't a proper convertible, what was effectively the sunroof lifted off and the small rear section behind the massive B/C pillar lifted off (or folded on a soft top). The soft top option may have been dropped for the 2003 facelift, not sure.
    Other than the styling and being more awkward to get in the back, the 3 door and 5 door are the same size, the 5 door just looks bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

From memory, the 3 doors we got in Ireland were all soft tops with the optional hard top fitted. All cars imported by LandRover Ireland had the Hard Top specified from factory. I think someone told me that there were only 2 3 doors sold with the soft top here.

It would have been a more popular option in the UK to take the soft top, but I still don't reckon there would have been that many sold.

There was a difference between UK and Irish 3 doors as the LR standard roof rack wouldn't fit the Irish ones, but I can't remember why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

For Freelander, look up castellated tyres and IRD replacement. Two known and expensive problems.

For the petrol ones, HG replacement was the common fault and, as a result, should avoid.

101sean wrote: »
    It wasn't a proper convertible, what was effectively the sunroof lifted off and the small rear section behind the massive B/C pillar lifted off (or folded on a soft top)

Ah yeah i've seen them and how they work alright, just needed to know when they stopped making them

Advertisement