Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McClean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,932 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seaneh wrote: »
    Irish: Definition:
    Anybody born on the island of Ireland.

McClean is Irish.
    Yep that to me seems right. If you were born on the island you are Irish. Its just the pedants that will have a problem with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16909171

McClean likely to be drafted into the Irish squad on Friday for friendly v Czech Republic according to the Beeb, nothing on RTE about it yet.

Good news, his form certainly deserves a call up. Looks a cracking prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yep that to me seems right. If you were born on the island you are Irish. Its just the pedants that will have a problem with that.

There are a few hundred thousand born in this island who don't consider themselves "irish".
    I thought in Northern Ireland you can be one of two nationalities?

On McClean...it is a shame he has moved over to "The Dark Side"...he is a promising player. As a Northern Ireland supporter I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16909171

McClean likely to be drafted into the Irish squad on Friday for friendly v Czech Republic according to the Beeb, nothing on RTE about it yet.

Good news, his form certainly deserves a call up. Looks a cracking prospect.

I heard there was a delay in processing his papers and they don't think he will get clearance in time for the Czech match on the 29th. So the earliest he could make his debut is against Bosnia on May 26th, 2 weeks before the big kick off. Is Trap really that adventurous? I hope so but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Paul4As wrote: »
    There are a few hundred thousand born in this island who don't consider themselves "irish".
    I thought in Northern Ireland you can be one of two nationalities?

On McClean...it is a shame he has moved over to "The Dark Side"...he is a promising player. As a Northern Ireland supporter I wish him all the best.

Anyone born on the island of Ireland is Irish (as they're from Ireland). This is a geographical term only and is a fact that I don't see how anyone can dispute.

It is your right to not consider your nationality Irish if you don't feel Irish but anyone from the north is still technically Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

[QUOTE=Paul4As;76954373
    On McClean...it is a shame he has moved over to "The Dark Side"...he is a promising player. As a Northern Ireland supporter I wish him all the best.[/QUOTE]

Yea, damn the " Dark side." Now he has to contend with playing in a crap stadium, being abused by is own supporters for being catholic, and being forced to stand for an anthem that's a slap in the face to his culture and his traditions....oh wait........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Yea, damn the " Dark side." Now he has to contend with playing in a crap stadium, being abused by is own supporters for being catholic, and being forced to stand for an anthem that's a slap in the face to his culture and his traditions....oh wait........

Sure he might get a bullet in the post as well if he joins the wrong club team.

Dark Side indeed. What a muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Ignoring the political discourse, I have to agree McLean is defo the form winger we have at the moment, but to be fair to Trap he has stated that he will be staying true to the players that got us to the Euro's and will only be considering other players if there are injuries. On the one hand i can see the sense in saying that we have to include if he is playing as well as he is, but Trap likes to build a team, he know has one built and ready for the euros, after which another team will be built and if McLean is still on form I'm convinced he would be a major player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You mean like Nial McGinn and Paddy McCourt recently?:rolleyes: Now i havent much time for the NI team but in fairness has not a lot of the anti catholic stuff being got rid of??

Least we can fill our crap stadium! :D

As for being abused by his own supporters for being a Catholic...where did you pull that one out from...10 years ago! :confused:

As for standing for God Save The Queen...McClean voluntarily stood for it when he was playing youth football for Northern Ireland...and under 21s....he didn't have an issue then. Has he said he has an issue with it now???...I haven't seen him mention it anywhere.

• Advertisement

nordydan wrote: »
    Sure he might get a bullet in the post as well if he joins the wrong club team.

Dark Side indeed. What a muppet

Did you go to the Dark Side too Nordy Dan guessing by your profile name?? :D

Anyone born on the island of Ireland is Irish (as they're from Ireland). This is a geographical term only and is a fact that I don't see how anyone can dispute.

It is your right to not consider your nationality Irish if you don't feel Irish but anyone from the north is still technically Irish.

Whatever you say mate...:rolleyes:

Now i havent much time for the NI team but in fairness has not a lot of the anti catholic stuff being got rid of??

Not according to a few posters on this forum.
    I go to every home international and from where I sit I have never heard anything sectarian or anti-catholic.
    Living in the Republic I would take zero tolerance to such nonsense...so you have it from the horses mouth that I hear nothing to offend a catholic...or protestant...or a muslim! :)

You mean like Nial McGinn and Paddy McCourt recently?:rolleyes:

McGinn and McCourt have never been abused by N.Ireland supporters due to their religion.
    They get supported like every other player who wears the green shirt.
    McGinn didn't even get stick after saying he supported the Republic! :)

McGinn and McCourt have never been abused by N.Ireland supporters due to their religion.
    They get supported like every other player who wears the green shirt.
    McGinn didn't even get stick after saying he supported the Republic! :)

I wasnt being serious ffs. Oh forget it. btw how long have you been going to internationals? It wasnt that long ago that windsor park was a nasty, hate filled dump. I accept things have improved greatly.

Whatever you say mate...:rolleyes:

Every country in the world considers you Irish. Tough.

Every country in the world considers you Irish. Tough.

Every country in the world can consider us Irish...do I care...does it keep me up all night...not really...as long as I know what I am! :D Northern Irish and proud!
    You seem to have issues though...which is strange for a Mayo man...as I'm one too.

I wasnt being serious ffs. Oh forget it. btw how long have you been going to internationals? It wasnt that long ago that windsor park was a nasty, hate filled dump. I accept things have improved greatly.

I have been going to internationals consistantly since about 2004.
    I think a few years after 2004 we received an award for the best supporters in Europe (which we hardly got for being full of hate)...I remember that night well when we received the accolade...we beat Spain 3-2.
    Windsor still is pretty much a dump...but the atmosphere rocks...just ask Craig Bellamy.
    Hopefully some refurbisment will be done on it in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hopefully some refurbisment will be done on it in the next few years.

Is there not issue with that IFA wont pay Linfield for refurbishments and they playing hardball?

ignoring most of the celtic fans, O Neil was hired to quell the flow of players to wards the ROI. Worthington had some issues with the ROI his treatment of Mannus shows that. Think its for the best someone like O Neil is the manager.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is there not issue with that IFA wont pay Linfield for refurbishments and they playing hardball?

ignoring most of the celtic fans, O Neil was hired to quell the flow of players to wards the ROI. Worthington had some issues with the ROI his treatment of Mannus shows that. Think its for the best someone like O Neil is the manager.

There is some issue with Linfield having a long term contract with IFA for internationals...and getting a 10% cut of ticket sales...but I think that is being addressed.

I like Michael O'Neill...he is only a week or so in to his tenure, but I like him a thousand times more than Worthington. That man took us from 30 or so in the world rankings to about 90th.

I'm looking forward to the friendly against Norway in 3 weeks' time...I hope O'Neill gets off to a good start. By that I mean the players make themselves available, they put in 110% effort on the pitch and the support are a bit more vocal than they usually are for friendlies.

It is a shame Michael could not persuade James McClean to stay with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There is some issue with Linfield having a long term contract with IFA for internationals...and getting a 10% cut of ticket sales...but I think that is being addressed.

I like Michael O'Neill...he is only a week or so in to his tenure, but I like him a thousand times more than Worthington. That man took us from 30 or so in the world rankings to about 90th.

I'm looking forward to the friendly against Norway in 3 weeks' time...I hope O'Neill gets off to a good start. By that I mean the players make themselves available, they put in 110% effort on the pitch and the support are a bit more vocal than they usually are for friendlies.

Michael could not have done anything as McClean had put in the transfer paper with FIFA when he still played for Derry City.

Michael could not have done anything as McClean had put in the transfer paper with FIFA when he still played for Derry City.

Means nothing tbh until they play a game, he can still switch back according to the "rules".

I dont think you should be allowed switch countries if you played for them at any age, but im not in charge of football :)

We give yiz Gibson and call it quits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Was at the Stoke - Sunderland game on the weekend and he really did impress me. I had my eye on him because I had been hearing a bit about him and he has definitely got ability and bags of confidence. Definitely looks like one for the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Personally I think it's time to scrap the IFA. It's irrelevant. Just have one football association on the island (FAI). The Northern Ireland team is completely undermined and does not have a good future because the number of defections will just keep rising. And not only because of the Catholic/Protestant thing but also because kids will see the ROI playing in major tournaments. They may see 6 county players playing and consider it a brighter future then playing for the North. Just my 2 cents.

McClean can play friendlies for the Republic yet still transfer back to Norn Iron...so O'Neill was not chasing a lost cause paperwork wise.

I like O'Neill's attitude...trying to work with what he has (which aint great) rather than pondering over what we've lost. He made the effort with McClean...got rebuked...so move on.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Personally I think it's time to scrap the IFA. It's irrelevant. Just have one football association on the island (FAI). The Northern Ireland team is completely undermined and does not have a good future because the number of defections will just keep rising. And not only because of the Catholic/Protestant thing but also because kids will see the ROI playing in major tournaments. They may see 6 county players playing and consider it a brighter future then playing for the North. Just my 2 cents.

The IFA and Northern Ireland football team are not irrelevant to me...and I live in the Republic! :)
    I'm positive for the future...we have a new manager with new ideas...and will bring in new players who may be WOrthington didn't rate or didn't get on with!
    As for the ROI playing in major tournaments...I have watched a few of your games...and seen the comments on boards.ie about your performances...you aint Spain or Brazil!:) Fair play to you for getting to Euro 2012...but qualifying for tournaments will always be difficult for you. More difficult for us may I add.
    International football is about representing your country...not representing whichever country qualifies for big tournaments!

Every country in the world can consider us Irish...do I care...does it keep me up all night...not really...as long as I know what I am! :D Northern Irish and proud!
    You seem to have issues though...which is strange for a Mayo man...as I'm one too.

No issues at all. Just pointing out realities which you chose to ignore which is your right of course and a common trait among your ilk. So your from Mayo yet consider yourself northern irish? Jesus mate we have enough loons in Mayo as it is,we really dont need another:)

International football is about representing your country...not representing whichever country qualifies for big tournaments!

Which is what McClean is doing.

Which is what McClean is doing.

Do you need a geography lesson?

He is not representing the country of his birth, he is representing Ireland cos he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think he will do well and hope he does. What you said about working with little mirrors his best work with rovers which was against superior teams in Europe.

Maybe see caps for big Al and Turner as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The IFA and Northern Ireland football team are not irrelevant to me...and I live in the Republic! :)
    I'm positive for the future...we have a new manager with new ideas...and will bring in new players who may be WOrthington didn't rate or didn't get on with!
    As for the ROI playing in major tournaments...I have watched a few of your games...and seen the comments on boards.ie about your performances...you aint Spain or Brazil!:) Fair play to you for getting to Euro 2012...but qualifying for tournaments will always be difficult for you. More difficult for us may I add.

Lets be honest... the Northern Irish fans don't exactly make anyone thats not a unionist feel at home. It'll be a long time before that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

McClean can play friendlies for the Republic yet still transfer back to Norn Iron...so O'Neill was not chasing a lost cause paperwork wise.

I like O'Neill's attitude...trying to work with what he has (which aint great) rather than pondering over what we've lost. He made the effort with McClean...got rebuked...so move on.

What happens when the generation of Protestant players defect to the Republic? There are lads now born circa 1994 that will be emerging that wouldn't even remember The Omagh atrocity with any great clarity that will have known next to nothing of the violence in the North. Politically they'll be ambivalent, born to politically jaded parents who only have seen politicians as greedy self serving gombees and not as totems of their culture.

These kids will play for the Republic because it will represent their best chance at playing in the big summer tournaments.

I think that day approaches fast, do you? For me the Irish League and the IFA are an anachronism, both throwbacks to bygone days. What is your opinion on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Its in the IFA'S best interest to make the NI national team truely inclusive and represenative of all of NI.

Ye can bury the head in the sand all ye like but its your own loss, untill the IFA make real strides a significant number of Nationalist orientated players will declare for the Republic of Ireland.

I dont care what anthem ye use but untill ye change to a non divisive one ye will continue to lose a load of players (just my 2cents) regardless of the abuse from the terraces being fairly well tackled.

What happens when the generation of Protestant players defect to the Republic? There are lads now born circa 1994 that will be emerging that wouldn't even remember The Omagh atrocity with any great clarity that will have known next to nothing of the violence in the North. Politically they'll be ambivalent, born to politically jaded parents who only have seen politicians as greedy self serving gombees and not as totems of their culture.

These kids will play for the Republic because it will represent their best chance at playing in the big summer tournaments.

I think that day approaches fast, do you? For me the Irish League and the IFA are an anachronism, both throwbacks to bygone days. What is your opinion on this?

It really doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i'd sad McClean is representing Ireland because maybe he is catholic?

MD1990 wrote: »
    i'd sad McClean is representing Ireland because maybe he is catholic?

So why play for NI as a youth? He could have said no, i doubt it furthered his career to do so.

Magill wrote: »
    It really doesn't.

Why do you think that?

So why play for NI as a youth? He could have said no, i doubt it furthered his career to do so.
    Perhaps he originally wanted to represent Ni but saw first hand the non inclusive nature of the IFA.

I'm interest to know why do you think he switched?

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Perhaps he originally wanted to represent Ni but saw first hand the non inclusive nature of the IFA.

I'm interest to know why do you think he switched?

Highlighted the 1st stupid part of that post.

Why do you think that?

The same reason why there are young celtic and rangers fans running about up here... these things are passed on from parents who still have a bitterness over the troubles. It'll take a few generations yet before that goes away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

McClean seems to be giving as good as he is getting on his twitter account.

http://twitter.com/JMcC_23

am sorry for defecting on my country..republic that is wen i played with the north at underage so yes am sorry for defecting

I think Martin O'Neill might want to have a word with him about using twitter!

The same reason why there are young celtic and rangers fans running about up here... these things are passed on from parents who still have a bitterness over the troubles. It'll take a few generations yet before that goes away.

They don't know what that's about any more. The sectarianism is a foreign construct to them. It does not have the same visceral impact at home. It's a louts preoccupation. Celtic and Rangers and the Scottish league are slowly but surely having the gloss taken off them. Take those two out and it's a shook outfit. Their golden age is over. Money will dictate where the footballers go. In a decade every young fella in the North will be more concerned with Manc and/or Scouse scum etc. to give two ****s about some tinpot league.

In fact if Scotland goes independnet it will further erode and perceived influence those two have over anything because Scottish people will tire of the English/ Irish bias and simply will turn away from Rangers and Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

McClean would be a savage addition to the Irish squad. Tbh i think Coleman is a bit over-rated but he has time in his side to improve. McClean looks accomplished already and he has just started playing for Sunderland. I am glad to see him declare for Ireland rather than NI. Obviously if he was Protestant he would be playing for the North but the fact that he is a native Derry lad means he would rather play for the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Experience? Coaching Staff? Chance to play against other youth international teams? Recognition? Scouts? The same reasons any youth moves to a better side.

Sure you can counter that by saying why did he not declare for Ireland but for most people it's distance. Ireland youth team train in Dublin up to a certain point. Sometimes depending on the consistency of the team they might have the odd training day somewhere down the country but not often. Usually all the lads from the country are given train tickets paid for by the FAI and not much else.

Its an awful train journey from Derry to Dublin.

Highlighted the 1st stupid part of that post.
    whatever it takes to avoid answering the question :rolleyes:

lets try again, why do YOU think he switched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Perhaps the non inclusiveness he's most worried about is non inclusion in a major tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He is not representing the country of his birth, he is representing Ireland cos he can.

Do you need a history lesson? He's legally entitled to be an Irish citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

International football is about representing your country.
    Maik Taylor is amongst your most capped players! Proud Northern Ireland man no doubt.

No thanks, no lesson needed. He's playing for the country of his birth but not the state.

• Advertisement

Lets be honest... the Northern Irish fans don't exactly make anyone thats not a unionist feel at home. It'll be a long time before that changes.

And the last time there was any instance of this was...........?

Advertisement