Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year arts subject suggestions

Options
  • 29-09-2009 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I chose beginners spanish for 1st year arts but I'm thinking about changing.
    Any suggestions on an interesting/easy subject to do instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

What other subject are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lauraisginger

haha sorry that would be helpful wouldn't it!
    I'm doing:French, English and Psychology!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I chose beginners spanish for 1st year arts but I'm thinking about changing.
    Any suggestions on an interesting/easy subject to do instead?

Why are you changing? Just purely a matter of interest.

Politics and Greek & Roman Civilisation are fairly handy, but of course you'd need some measure of interest in politics and history for it.

This might seem stupid but I'm changing because I missed the initial lecture because it wasn't on the main timetable,so I missed being split into groups and signing up for tutorials. Then because I'd missed that I went to brookefield yesterday because thats where the lecture had been last monday only to find out I was supposed to be in Connolly, which I didn't have a clue how to get to. So I know it's a bit silly but this bad start has really really put me off doing it! So i kinda just want to switch,get a fresh start with a new subject!

I can't do greek and roman civ because I'm doing Pyschology on that band, politics looks interesting though. I'm thinking possibley philosophy, any thoughts?

This might seem stupid but I'm changing because I missed the initial lecture because it wasn't on the main timetable,so I missed being split into groups and signing up for tutorials. Then because I'd missed that I went to brookefield yesterday because thats where the lecture had been last monday only to find out I was supposed to be in Connolly, which I didn't have a clue how to get to. So I know it's a bit silly but this bad start has really really put me off doing it! So i kinda just want to switch,get a fresh start with a new subject!

I can't do greek and roman civ because I'm doing Pyschology on that band, politics looks interesting though. I'm thinking possibley philosophy, any thoughts?

I see. Your choice.

Ah okay, didn't think it would clash.

Politics is very good, three sections are: Irish, International Politics & Political Philosophy. Assesment last year was essay, in-class test and MCQ respectively. It helps your end of year exam's marks too.

I've no idea about Philosophy. I assume it's an okay subject to do for a year then dispose of.

What're you keeping on? French and English?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 v086

I am in third year Arts now, I kept on History and the Study of Religions...I love them both 2bh, but history will already be full by now....try Religion if you like...it is kinda tough in first year though...but really interesting all the same! I did sociology and politics in 1st year, sociology is a bore...but easy because you have like 60% or thereabouts done before you even do Summer exams, and so pretty much have passed already!Politics is interesting enough....except the last section...but thats just me....and it isnt too tough either! Best of luck!

v086 wrote: »
    I am in third year Arts now, I kept on History and the Study of Religions...I love them both 2bh, but history will already be full by now....try Religion if you like...it is kinda tough in first year though...but really interesting all the same! I did sociology and politics in 1st year, sociology is a bore...but easy because you have like 60% or thereabouts done before you even do Summer exams, and so pretty much have passed already!Politics is interesting enough....except the last section...but thats just me....and it isnt too tough either! Best of luck!

I've heard this across 1st Arts too.

I think the last part of Politics - Philosophy is purely a matter of taste. It can be pretty tough and slow going in places but other sections are cracking imo like the State of Nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 v086

thats actually the middle section, which i thought was soooo boring at the time, but really interesting to study...its the international relations section that phased me!!!

I see. Your choice.

Ah okay, didn't think it would clash.

Politics is very good, three sections are: Irish, International Politics & Political Philosophy. Assesment last year was essay, in-class test and MCQ respectively. It helps your end of year exam's marks too.

I've no idea about Philosophy. I assume it's an okay subject to do for a year then dispose of.

What're you keeping on? French and English?

politics does seem grand, but I'm not too sure because in the real world my interest in politics is slim, so I'm not too sure. Yeah I'm hoping to keep on french and english if all goes well!
    I think religion might be a clash too because I considering it originally but it was on the same band as one of my other subjects!but thanks anyway!

thats actually the middle section, which i thought was soooo boring at the time, but really interesting to study...its the international relations section that phased me!!!

Well yeah that's what I meant.

Awh man, the International Relations section was brilliant. Diarmaid Whelan (not sure on spelling) is a terrific lecturer and the course information was great.
    politics does seem grand, but I'm not too sure because in the real world my interest in politics is slim, so I'm not too sure. Yeah I'm hoping to keep on french and english if all goes well!

Keep it in mind as a back up, I don't think you're too sure :)
    Maybe other UCC boardies will chip in tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I graduated with my Arts Degree this year. I did spanish for the first month of first year and all i remember is a feeling of dread and desperation every day. I have no idea why it is called beginners spanish as the pace at the end of the month was the equivalent to possibly junior cert languages?
    Anyway, i switched to Archaeology and it was such a relief. I would definitely recommend Archaelogy in First yr Arts. It was relatively easy, interesting and the staff at dept were lovely. Without meaning to offend anyone, it was an ideal subject filler in First year as i knew i would not be keeping it on.
    Good luck, You will feel so much better sitting in a lecture that you actually understand and enjoy. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I did Celtic Civ in first year and found it was a very easy subject. Easy to study for as well at the end of the year. It was by far the least amount of work.

Advertisement