Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

• 11-06-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of when/where Five Guys might be opening?

It was all over the press in January and not a word since. I'm getting hungry! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Other than a couple in the city centre and a couple more around the M50 area being metioned I don't think anywhere has come out with more specific locations. I would have thought once they had secured a lease it would have come out to start creating a bit of buzz they're doing well to keep it quiet if they do have premises being worked on at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/the-right-moves-restaurant-sector-is-red-hot-31292940.html

This article hints that Five Guys etc are finding it difficult to find units due to high demand coupled with planning restrictions.

€700/sqm is insane! Commercial rents have gone bonkers the last year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

jimmii wrote: »
    €700/sqm is insane! Commercial rents have gone bonkers the last year or two.

its gone mad again alright. key moneys on the way back aswell which is a scam. id love some money for nothing myself.

neris wrote: »
    its gone mad again alright. key moneys on the way back aswell which is a scam. id love some money for nothing myself.

I was looking at opening up a new place right now I'm paying about €150/sqm in the city centre no chance of finding something decent at that price now!! Quickly realised it wasn't going to happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hot food takeout planning permission can be actually impossible to get on a non-existing unit now also. Limiting yourself to sit-in would hurt somewhere like Five Guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

Any more word?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

No there's been no word in the press. Not looking good at the moment. :(

There's a few empty units around the IFSC (incidentally close to my work ;)) so I'm sure they would find somewhere if they were to relax their rules a little.

Any more word?

Not a peep. I'm sure they will ramp things up when things get moving. Dublin was meant to be open and then a few more around Cork/Galway etc before Belfast and that is now looking like opening soon so their time lines seemed to have moved around quite a lot. Hopefully Belfast goes well and they maybe push the boat out a little more to get a location in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Went to it in Canada, the food was fine but was horrifically expensive for what you get. Id shudder to think what they'd charge in city centre dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭crushproof

retalivity wrote: »
    Went to it in Canada, the food was fine but was horrifically expensive for what you get. Id shudder to think what they'd charge in city centre dublin

Yeah but you can imagine the OMGers and Bantz crew will go in their droves. Sheeple.
    Seriously don't get the big deal. it's expensive and not all that amazing. Brilliant marketing on their part to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been to it a few times in US. No better nor worse than any other burger place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

crushproof wrote: »
    Yeah but you can imagine the OMGers and Bantz crew will go in their droves. Sheeple.
    Seriously don't get the big deal. it's expensive and not all that amazing. Brilliant marketing on their part to be fair.

I'll give it a try if/when it opens up. But if its full of the Abercrombie/Hollister 'crew' and the whole thing is just a triumph of marketing then its unlikely I'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I seriously doubt it. If you look up marketing for this generation of young people. They dont want to be generic. They want to be unique. Look at Abercrombie. Their sales are tanking. Starbucks is having difficulties turning around their company. While cheaper and more unique companies are doing far better

Dunkin Donuts failed here. There is a far amount of American Companies who have failed to conquer Irish consumers, as we arent generic. Young people want to be considered unique. Most of my friends wouldnt be seen dead in a Starbucks, as it overpriced and disgusting. They prefer cheaper Artisan Coffee places eg Dublin Barista School, Coffee Angel

I can see Five Guys having a good run for a few months and then it will close. People want higher quality affordable food. Thats why Bunsen, Boojum have done so well. If I want a overpriced, **** Burger. Ill go to GBK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Five guys do delicious burgers, it will do great here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I tried Five Guys in Bristol recently. While it was a nice burger and fries, the price though was mental and it wasn't anything to really get excited about IMO. Perhaps I'm not much of a burger person; a friend had been telling me about it being his treat to himself when he's in London so I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. I still think it'll do very well here though, just look at the popularity of Bunsen. And Eddie Rockets :D

miamee wrote: »
    I tried Five Guys in Bristol recently. While it was a nice burger and fries, the price though was mental and it wasn't anything to really get excited about IMO. Perhaps I'm not much of a burger person
    Its just ground beef in bread and fried potatoes, Im not sure what people are expecting when they have a burger tbh. To be fair, Five Guys do a very tasty burger though, especially when compared to the overcooked bland dross generally served up as burgers here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I can see Five Guys having a good run for a few months and then it will close. People want higher quality affordable food. Thats why Bunsen, Boojum have done so well. If I want a overpriced, **** Burger. Ill go to GBK

Bunsen and Boojum are places to be seen as well, as will 5G when they open.

That's a large part of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

cson wrote: »
    Bunsen and Boojum are places to be seen as well, as will 5G when they open.

That's a large part of it too.

They are high quality and affordable. I imagine five guys will be overpriced and not so great like GBK or Eddie Rockets. People go to Bunsen as its an excellent Burger

newacc2015 wrote: »
    They are high quality and affordable. I imagine five guys will be overpriced and not so great like GBK or Eddie Rockets. People go to Bunsen as its an excellent Burger

Have you ever been to Five Guys?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I know it's not Five Guys but some of you burger lovers may like this if you are in Dublin city right now (and I mean *right now*)

In-N-Out burger have apparently taken over Bread and Bones at Millenium Walkway, D1 for a few hours today.

http://lovindublin.com/dublin/holy-mother-of-god-in-n-out-burger-are-in-dublin-for-just-one-day-only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

If you think a burger is a burger and they're all much of a muchness then you won't have much interest in Five Guys as they are more expensive than other places. If you're big into gourmet burgers though you will most likely love the place, they sell the best burgers in Glasgow by an absolute mile imo. Hopefully they open a few stores in Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

miamee wrote: »
    In-N-Out burger have apparently taken over Bread and Bones at Millenium Walkway, D1 for a few hours today.
    From what I saw half an hour ago, I'd say if you're not in the queue by now there's not much point going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Anyone ever tried a burger in the Ugly Duckling? Seriously nice stuff there, the southern fried chicken & pastrami burger is delish.

BeerNut wrote: »
    From what I saw half an hour ago, I'd say if you're not in the queue by now there's not much point going.

Yes, I saw a photo of the queue after I posted that! Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

Eddie Rocketts does ok for overpriced greasy burgers. I doubt Five Guys will be no more expensive than that but way better.

I haven't been to Bunsen to be fair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

in the UK they're pricey enough

https://www.fiveguys.co.uk/order/index/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭crushproof

in the UK they're pricey enough

https://www.fiveguys.co.uk/order/index/1

£14.50 for a Cheeseburger, fries and coke......F%$k me, that's even more than when I had it. And that's in Manchester which is probably the cheap city in the UK for food.

So works out at €20..... wow. :rolleyes: The 2 course early bird menu in FX Buckleys is €20 I think, I think I know what I'd be going for....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

£14.50 for a Cheeseburger, fries and coke......F%$k me, that's even more than when I had it. And that's in Manchester which is probably the cheap city in the UK for food.

So works out at €20..... wow. :rolleyes: The 2 course early bird menu in FX Buckleys is €20 I think, I think I know what I'd be going for....

Wow! Did not realize 5 Guys charged that much in the UK. Almost double what they charge here (Philadelphia suburbs). Cheeseburger is $12.25 in the UK but $6.75 here at today's exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I had it in Canada during the summer and although not cheap, I don't think it was anything like thise prices. Also the default size is the largest size the way the menu was laid out in the one I was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

When I was living in Wisconsin it was less than ten dollars each for a cheeseburger, fries and a coke. That's good value imo. The UK prices are insane.

I'd rather go to wowburger or bunsen.

If they open up here charging €20 for a burger, chips and drink then they'll have confirmed my long held suspicion that they're a restaurant to be 'seen in' rather than serious purveyors of top quality food. I'm only basing this on the *buzz* I see online for Five Guys, most of which seems to be based on American beef which is riddled with angel dust and whatever other chemicals they use to fatten up their cows. American beef isnt a patch on Irish beef yet tons of people rave on about how they can't wait for Five Guys to open here. All while better burgers are under their nose without the need to go transatlantic.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If they open up here charging €20 for a burger, chips and drink then they'll have confirmed my long held suspicion that they're a restaurant to be 'seen in' rather than serious purveyors of top quality food.
    This makes no sense whatsoever.

The likelihood of them using American beef here is nil

Dont think they could even if they wanted to, most American beef wouldn't pass EU food standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ninitaly

I read that it's opening in Belfast next month. The newspapers are reporting Victoria shopping centre.

I was also walking past the old dandelion market on Stephens Green today and saw a sign that said "watch this space". It made me curious to know if it could be the new five guys location. I googled and found a link on John Fleming architects (I can't post the url cause I'm new apparently) that seems to confirm this. It seems i was right!

Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ninitaly wrote: »
    I googled and found a link on John Fleming architects (I can't post the url cause I'm new apparently) that seems to confirm this. It seems i was right!

Can't wait!

yep, you were right it seems:
    http://www.jfa.ie/five-guys/

Great location for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Five guys is fast food by default, they can fup off if they think they'll get my custom charging 20 euro for a meal that costs $10-12.

I do hope they bring their drink dispensers though.

Lemon coke mmmmm

I do agree that if we get ripped off on prices it will take the shine off it! Already I think it cost more when I had in Canada vs the US.

Supposedly it's going to be on Stephen's Green by 2016. No idea where although Dandelion appears to have closed so perhaps there...not sure if they have closed completely or closed for renovation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Could it be where TGI's is now? If it's next door that's bad news for them anyway.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Could it be where TGI's is now? If it's next door that's bad news for them anyway.

Possibly although there could be some empty unit(s) on another side of the green either. Or that new buidling that's going up on the corner of Earlsfort Tce...I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!

As I said yesterday, I think it will be in the Dandelion building. I saw a "watch this space" sign.

The media is reporting the opening today but don't seem to have any confirmation from the 5 guys franchise owners themselves, just a reference to JFA architects.

I noticed on Kelly and O'Callaghan quantity surveyors website that they seem to have the gig for 5 guys here and in Belfast. They mention working on the Dandelion property so I'm putting two and two together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I, for one, look forward to being bitterly disappointed upon my first bite into their burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

If the prices are as steep as the UK, there won't be a first bite for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Saipanne wrote: »
    I, for one, look forward to being bitterly disappointed upon my first bite into their burgers.

Why do you say that?

If the prices are as steep as the UK, there won't be a first bite for me.

If they're as high as the UK, Eddie Rockets can kill them stone dead after the hype has died down by dropping their prices even slightly and becoming "50% cheaper" for what is realistically quite similar product.

They can, maybe, charge a 15% premium on Eddie Rockets already hideous prices. Its closer to 80% currently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

L1011 wrote: »
    If they're as high as the UK, Eddie Rockets can kill them stone dead after the hype has died down by dropping their prices even slightly and becoming "50% cheaper" for what is realistically quite similar product.

They can, maybe, charge a 15% premium on Eddie Rockets already hideous prices. Its closer to 80% currently.
    Five guys food is far nicer than Eddie rockets imo. The difference is that everyone has always been aware that Eddie rockets is a rip off because it was one of the first "burger bars".

Taking into reality, Five Guys isn't much of a step up from McDonald's in America price wise. It's targeted as a fast food operation on a kin with others (Wendy's, burger king etc) not premium burger bars.

That's why I'd be disgusted if we were looking at a 20 euro meal. If McDonalds were coming here for the first time like five guys I don't think anybody would be too amused with 20 euro big Mac meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Why do you say that?

Because it's a burger. Even the fanciest hipster restaurant can't change that.

A lobster roll, it ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Saipanne wrote: »
    Because it's a burger. Even the fanciest hipster restaurant can't change that.

A lobster roll, it ain't.

So why bother with it? I mean why would you consciously pay for something when you know you're going to be disappointed? There's other options...

• Advertisement
Advertisement