Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 2 wireless routers with one Cable Modem

Options
  • 29-08-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I am with UPC. I have a cable modem / router with the wireless turned off (UPC). I also have a TPLink Wireless router (TPL) and a netgear router running WWDRT (DRT) and setup to use my VPN account which I bought from flashrouters.

The setup I want is as follows

1. Two wireless networks. I don’t care if they can see each other or not from a sharing perspective.
    a.First Wireless network with router TPL running as a standard wireless network running with UPC standard setup
    b.Second wireless network on DRT router which when I connect to it is running VPN.

I have both routers connected to a LAN port of the UPC modem. Right now it’s not working properly. Internet access is really unreliable on both wireless networks so I think I have some type of conflicts.
    I know very little about bridging etc. but I believe I might have to turn off DHCP and manually set the IP address of at least one of the routers. I really want to make sure my VPN still works on the second router.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

You can have many access points but you want but only one router. To turn a router into an access point disable DHCP, connect it by lan port and give it a static ip in the subnet of your router so you can get to it after

For DDWRT follow this guide to turn it into a true AP, use long version
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

A VPN should be on your router

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdelahunty

So that sounds like I might not be able to do what I want i.e. have one setup to use a VPN and have a second that doesn't. As I described my setup the UPC modem is a modem / router - I just have the wireless turned off. I then have a LAN cable connected to each wireless router and it is going into the WAN port of the routers. I have set the router addresses differently (UPC is 168.192.0.1, TPL Router is 192.168.2.1 and DRT si 192.168.3.1). What would I need to to in order to use my best model (the Linksys) act as my main router without a VPN and have my VPN router work properly?

One key point is I don't care if the networks are on the same subnet or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UPC will allocate you up to 3x IPv4 addresses while bridged, so you can do exactly what you want and have two networks, each with their own gateway and path to the www.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdelahunty

I was actually able to get it working fine by switching the configuration so my second router connected to my first router rather than the modem. I had a setting wrong on the router so now everything is working perfectly.

Lucky since I don't have a clue what bridging is :-)

Advertisement