Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&E to close at night/Protest Friday 24th

Options
  • 19-06-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

A FUNDING CRISIS in the HSE could force the country’s second busiest hospital emergency department to close from 8pm at night from 11 July according to a report today.

The Sunday Business Post reports that as well as the impending nightly closure of the emergency department at Limerick Mid-Western Regional Hospital, management at the Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, Co Louth have warned of a drastic reduction in the number of services it could offer.

The potential cuts are a result of the “chronic shortage” of non-consultant hospital doctors (NCHD) who are due to take up new contracts on 11 July. The HSE has recruited just 40 per cent of NCHD posts required to man the department at Limerick Mid-Western.

There has already been considerable anger expressed at the impending closure of the A&E department at St. Columcilles’s Hospital in Loughlinstown in Co Dublin which dealt with 21,000 cases last year.

There were also reports on Friday that the A&E at Midlands Regional Hospital in Portlaoise, Co Laois will be forced to close at 10pm each night because of the shortages in the health service.

The HSE has said it is working with the Medical Council and others to find a solution to the crisis which it says it is well aware of, according to the Business Post.

http://www.thejournal.ie/health-cuts-could-hit-aes-in-limerick-and-drogheda-158867-Jun2011/

Fvckin Disgrace if this happens!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Mc Love wrote: »
    Fvckin Disgrace if this happens!

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

First they take away St.Johns, now this?! Nice to know if I'm ever in trouble there's nowhere to go :mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Wow, thats ****in ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

So the A&E at John's gets closed, and the same happened in Clare with folk there being diverted to the Regional.

And now they want to close the Regional one at night as well?

So is it to become that whether you are from Kilrush, Foynes, Limerick city or Ennis, if you have something happen to you at night you have to make your way down to Cork and hope that you survive long enough to get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

I would guess that this will not be allowed to happen. If it comes to pass then its criminal to leave such a large population centre without A & E cover during the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Can never happen with the catchment area of the regional A&E. paper talks....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Now whilst what you are saying should make perfect sense, I would put nothing past logic, common sense and people's lives being ignored and it actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Straight to CUH so? Only an extra 2 hours when you're dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

concussion wrote: »
    Straight to CUH so? Only an extra 2 hours when you're dying.
    Two Hours driving and You in Dublin with the Motorway from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Had to look twice at that story!
    Cant seeing it happening! fingers crossed I hope its not true.

It would look pretty bad to see a critical service like this closed
    down at night when only a few feet away they are building a new wing.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

That is completely ridiculous. The emergency department in the regional is in demand most at night, especially since the closure of St. Johns. They are taking away a vitally needed service for two counties, and hoping that people survive long enough to get to Cork to be treated. This country has gine to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Hopefully it's just talk.If not it will be interesting to see the amount of law suits the hse will be involved in after the first few tragedies.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not enough that Tipp North and Clare were stripped of their services and we now on rely on Limerick Regional but now that's been cut too.

The smaller hospitals are not expecting fantastic services for everthing but a basic A&E in a large geographical area surely makes sense.
    They can be transferred to the Regional once stabilized

Madness and this makes it even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

It looks like another diversion, if they threaten A and E we might not complain about the overall shape of the Health Service in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I think this story is just a kite being flown by one of the sides involved in an on going dispute between the HSE, Department of Health, Consultants and NCHD's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

It will never happen, just a stick for someone to beat someone else with in their negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

If this happens, all those people out there paying €3,000 between an EMT course and truck lessons can forget about ever getting into the Ambulance service here. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

I wouldn't put anything past the HSE. We are mere numbers on an accountant's spreadsheet and if the spreadsheet says we must die then we must die.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I really can't imagine this happening,sounds like scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

For it even to be a possibility is incredible...I think people should take to the streets in peaceful protest:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Question..will this only be for walking...what happens with ambulances? i mean if in in an RTA and im critical surely i wont have to go to Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

IF it does happen, it will be absolutely disgraceful.

+1 for peaceful protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭emarfrog

This is absolutely terrifying stuff. What about those poor people in North Tipp/Nenagh direction that were told to divert to Limerick when night cover A&E in Nenagh was closed? :mad:

+ 1 on the peaceful protest

Everyone take a chill pill, its never going to happen. Minister for Finance is from Limerick and Jan is there too wont happen. And never would happen on Willie O'Deas watch ! ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Question..will this only be for walking...what happens with ambulances? i mean if in in an RTA and im critical surely i wont have to go to Galway?

The ambulance will go wherever ambulance control directs them to go. Even if there was an RTA in the city centre , if there is no ED facility open in the Regional then the ambulance will be directed elsewhere. No good bringing you to the Regional if there's nobody there to treat you.

I used to work in a community hospital which had an attached ambulance base but it had it's small emergency dept closed about 10 years ago. You'd think if there were an RTA outside the front door they'd just bring them in to us but no, they had to make the trip to the nearest General Hospital, over 20 miles away on one of the most dangerous stretches or road in the country, on which an ambulance can only saf
    ely do about 50 MPH max speed. Scary. I'd love to know if lives could've been saved by having kept that ED open, but it's one of many that were shut at that time.

The ambulance will go wherever ambulance control directs them to go. Even if there was an RTA in the city centre , if there is no ED facility open in the Regional then the ambulance will be directed elsewhere. No good bringing you to the Regional if there's nobody there to treat you.

I used to work in a community hospital which had an attached ambulance base but it had it's small emergency dept closed about 10 years ago. You'd think if there were an RTA outside the front door they'd just bring them in to us but no, they had to make the trip to the nearest General Hospital, over 20 miles away on one of the most dangerous stretches or road in the country, on which an ambulance can only saf
    ely do about 50 MPH max speed. Scary. I'd love to know if lives could've been saved by having kept that ED open, but it's one of many that were shut at that time.

Ambulance actually goes to the nearest hospital with an a&e not where ambulance control says.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This is a soft delivery of bad news is all.

We are being tested with this information so that when we are given a stealth tax of increased emergency department fees / day fees that we will just say "ah well, at least they didn't close the doors"

They have a duty of care. The EU will not allow them to close down a REGIONAL hospital of this magnitude for the entire night and "they" know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

cant happen, they closed a+e's in clare, tipp and limerick so they would all go to the regional instead. it will not happen.

• Advertisement

They were flying the redeployment in the mid west region kite today which is probably code for we are going to close the a&e in St Johns during the day and move those doctors to the regional

Advertisement