Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi repeater?

Options
  • 16-11-2015 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have wireless Internet coming into my house.

I want to sent it to my workshop just across the fields. Its about 120m MAX with a ditch in between. What wireless equipment would I need to get to do this.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I have wireless Internet coming into my house

What exactly do you mean by this? Who is your provider? What equipment have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Is your workshop on the same electrical circuit as your house? If so, a set of home plugs might do the job. My father has it in his workshop (I set it up) but its only about 6-8 metres away from the house, but same principles would apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

What exactly do you mean by this? Who is your provider? What equipment have you got?

I mean i want to beam my internet from my house to my workshop.

Permanet are thy ISP but not sure what that matters!

I have an Asus router RT-n16. Does not have the range to get to the workshop.

bmwguy wrote: »
    Is your workshop on the same electrical circuit as your house? If so, a set of home plugs might do the job. My father has it in his workshop (I set it up) but its only about 6-8 metres away from the house, but same principles would apply.

No they are not on the same circuit.

I mean i want to beam my internet from my house to my workshop.

Permanet are thy ISP but not sure what that matters!

I have an Asus router RT-n16. Does not have the range to get to the workshop.

It's going to cost you a few hundred to do so unless you've this sort of budget forget it. You will need to use a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation M5's to create a private point to point link. As there is a ditch between you'll need to go high at each location, possibly on a pole on the highest point (chimney), these will need clear line of sight between them. Configure one as access point connected directly to your Asus, the other on the workshop gets configured as client bridge. This will give a wired connection in the workshop as if you ran a cable between the two locations, you will then need to add an access point to make it wireless in the workshop if you need wireless.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-Loco-M5-LOCOM5-AirMax-5GHz-CPE-UBNT-2x2-MiMo-Antenne-/310996432901?hash=item4868d4f805:g:bXsAAOSwirZTyQo6

• Advertisement

Thanks Debater.

So i need to order 2 of them.

Might leave it for a while, with Christmas and birthdays coming up money is needed other places, but thanks

I have not been a good boy this year so santa wont bring me them either

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's going to cost you a few hundred to do so unless you've this sort of budget forget it. You will need to use a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation M5's to create a private point to point link. As there is a ditch between you'll need to go high at each location, possibly on a pole on the highest point (chimney), these will need clear line of sight between them. Configure one as access point connected directly to your Asus, the other on the workshop gets configured as client bridge. This will give a wired connection in the workshop as if you ran a cable between the two locations, you will then need to add an access point to make it wireless in the workshop if you need wireless.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-Loco-M5-LOCOM5-AirMax-5GHz-CPE-UBNT-2x2-MiMo-Antenne-/310996432901?hash=item4868d4f805:g:bXsAAOSwirZTyQo6

I've configured many of these, advise above is spot on.

You could always use a CAT5 cable (if it won't get damaged) with a repeater. Or, go mad and use a fibre cable with converters.

But realistically, the suggestion above is best and pretty robust. If you have LOS from indoor (behind a window) even better, but the main thing is that you have clear LOS, so you may have to go out-doors.

Don't forget to purchase PoE injectors, so you only have to run one CAT5 cable to each device

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sash88

Hello,

I am looking to do something similar to 'badgerhowlin'. I have now a flat in the garage beside the house (about 15m distance). We have wireless in the house and Vodafone are the service provider. I am looking to bring an Ethernet cable from the house modem to the garage and plug it into a new router/new access point to replicate the wireless signal.

Can I get some suggestions or feedback if this will work? Will this produce a signal of similar strength?

Is this a complex thing to do?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sash88 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am looking to do something similar to 'badgerhowlin'. I have now a flat in the garage beside the house (about 15m distance). We have wireless in the house and Vodafone are the service provider. I am looking to bring an Ethernet cable from the house modem to the garage and plug it into a new router/new access point to replicate the wireless signal.

Can I get some suggestions or feedback if this will work? Will this produce a signal of similar strength?

Is this a complex thing to do?

Thanks

Why not use a Powerline? The new T-Links can replicate your old SSID so you use the same keyphrase and it's all the one network, meaning you don't have to connect to different networks in different parts of the house.

I wouldn't recommend them for commercial use, but for home use i've never had any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

What about this lad? https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeamm/
    I'm in the exact same position as original poster, would I need a receiver at the end of this aswell? Can pick them up for around 120 bucks on amazon so just wondering would it do the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

There is a thread here in the Midband (wifi through gsm) forum about a guy who get his broadband from a receiver on a pole a couple of hundred meters from his house and beams it to the house. If you search you will find it. AFAIR it was a cheap affair and worked well.

Edit: here you go http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698625

Signpost wrote: »
    What about this lad? https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeamm/
    I'm in the exact same position as original poster, would I need a receiver at the end of this aswell? Can pick them up for around 120 bucks on amazon so just wondering would it do the job?

Same thing just more directional

Advertisement